C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Filler neck bolt? Retap vs Heli-Coil...or?

Search this Thread

Old 11-17-2011, 07:41 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Default Filler neck bolt? Retap vs Heli-Coil...or?

One of my 9 filler neck mounting bolts is broken off. I tried an extractor, and it broke off...but I did get the bit out. Looks like someone was in there before me, and it looks a little chewed up, so I am thinking a clean extraction may not be possible. I was thinking of drilling out the old bolt, and either retapping it or using a heli-coil...but not sure those would work. Does anyone know what the bumpy gasket like thing is around the edge of the filler neck from the inside is? Looks like the filler neck bolts may actually be threaded into it. I could vice grip it from the inside with this out of the way, but a little hesistent to pop it out from the outside...looks like it might be a neck of some sort for a tank liner or something.

Any advice?
Old 11-17-2011, 08:21 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

I would just drill it, and retap it to whatever next size tap will cut threads. Use that size bolt and be done with it. Make sure you catch the shavings somehow. It's not structural and you just need some clamping action to seal the neck, but you really don't need more than a few inch lbs. Don't blow yourself up.
Old 11-17-2011, 08:29 PM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

Originally Posted by 383vett
I would just drill it, and retap it to whatever next size tap will cut threads. Use that size bolt and be done with it. Make sure you catch the shavings somehow. It's not structural and you just need some clamping action to seal the neck, but you really don't need more than a few inch lbs. Don't blow yourself up.
You may need to open the corresponding hole on the cover as well.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:29 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
One of my 9 filler neck mounting bolts is broken off. I tried an extractor, and it broke off...but I did get the bit out. Looks like someone was in there before me, and it looks a little chewed up, so I am thinking a clean extraction may not be possible. I was thinking of drilling out the old bolt, and either retapping it or using a heli-coil...but not sure those would work. Does anyone know what the bumpy gasket like thing is around the edge of the filler neck from the inside is? Looks like the filler neck bolts may actually be threaded into it. I could vice grip it from the inside with this out of the way, but a little hesistent to pop it out from the outside...looks like it might be a neck of some sort for a tank liner or something.

Any advice?
That's the tank liner.
Old 11-17-2011, 09:37 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

Gas filler?

if doing it safely and dropping the tank is not possible..(fumes ignite easier than liquid),

I'd make a spreader and utilize that on the bolts on either side of the broken bolt and walk away.

Use the old spreader tab on edge bolt valve covers as a design guide.

Are you saying you've never been in there before? I'd proceed with caution....this sounds like it could be on the 6:00 news to me....
Old 11-17-2011, 11:57 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Thanks...I have put up a new post. Just like to determine if the part that acts as a retainer of some sort is part of the liner, or a separate part...Otherwise I will probably go this route. Can't find a pic of the liner out of the tank anywhere, after searching for hours...Thank you.
Old 11-18-2011, 12:40 AM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

were do you live? I want to maintain a safe distance!

If you plan on "drilling" into a fuel tank, it needs to be drained and purged of all gas fumes first. I don't know if this could be safely done on the car. I personally would remove it and take it to a fuel tank repair facility.
Old 11-18-2011, 01:21 AM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by desertmike1
were do you live? I want to maintain a safe distance!

If you plan on "drilling" into a fuel tank, it needs to be drained and purged of all gas fumes first. I don't know if this could be safely done on the car. I personally would remove it and take it to a fuel tank repair facility.
I live in Florida.

Tank has been empty for many months with the filler neck off. Send and return lines blasted clean through.
Old 11-18-2011, 02:13 AM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

retap to original size and thread pitch... In a low stress application like this there's probably going to be enough of the original metal left; you can always go bigger or install a helicoil later.

scared of being blown up ? It's a legitimate concern. Ventilate the tank throughly to remove all traces of gas and (especially) gas vapors. Fill tank completely with hot sudsy water (yes, I know you'll have to drain the tank and dry it out) or inert the tank with CO2, either from a compressed gas bottle or some dry ice.

if there's an indusrtrial supply house nearby, see if you can get a "left handed " drill bit of the appropriate size; you must use a drill capable of rotating in the "reverse" direction (most do); these bits drill in the counterclockwise direction and this alone will often be enough to get the old bolt to unscrew and back itself out.

Good luck...let us know how it all turns out.
Old 11-18-2011, 10:29 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by racerseks
Thanks...I have put up a new post. Just like to determine if the part that acts as a retainer of some sort is part of the liner, or a separate part...Otherwise I will probably go this route. Can't find a pic of the liner out of the tank anywhere, after searching for hours...Thank you.
The black stuff on the inside is the rubber liner.

Old 11-18-2011, 07:26 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by mtwoolford
retap to original size and thread pitch... In a low stress application like this there's probably going to be enough of the original metal left; you can always go bigger or install a helicoil later.

scared of being blown up ? It's a legitimate concern. Ventilate the tank throughly to remove all traces of gas and (especially) gas vapors. Fill tank completely with hot sudsy water (yes, I know you'll have to drain the tank and dry it out) or inert the tank with CO2, either from a compressed gas bottle or some dry ice.

if there's an indusrtrial supply house nearby, see if you can get a "left handed " drill bit of the appropriate size; you must use a drill capable of rotating in the "reverse" direction (most do); these bits drill in the counterclockwise direction and this alone will often be enough to get the old bolt to unscrew and back itself out.

Good luck...let us know how it all turns out.
Thank you.
Old 11-18-2011, 07:28 PM
racerseks
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 383vett
The black stuff on the inside is the rubber liner.

Thanks...Man that pic is all over the internet, haha...

One question...The part that the bolts actually thread into from the inside of the tank is part of the liner as well then?

Get notified of new replies

To Filler neck bolt? Retap vs Heli-Coil...or?

Quick Reply: Filler neck bolt? Retap vs Heli-Coil...or?