Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Sign in using an external account
Register Forgot Password?
Register Search Today's Posts Mark Forums Read FAQ Vendor Directory
Search
C4 Tech/Performance
L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine Sponsored by
J&D Corvette

Welcome to Corvetteforum.com!
Welcome to Corvetteforum.com.

You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our community, at no cost, you will have access to post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), respond to polls, upload content and access many other special features. Registration is free, fast and simple, join Corvetteforum.com today!


Corvette Store
 
 
C7 Parts & Accessories
C6 Parts & Accessories
C5 Parts & Accessories
C4 Parts & Accessories
C3 Parts & Accessories
C2 Parts & Accessories
C1 Parts & Accessories
Wheels & Tires
Sponsored Ads
 
 
Vendor Directory
  
Reply
 
 
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Old 12-27-2011, 10:44 PM   #1
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Default where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)

Just curious...is this a regular 'loaner-type' tool from autozone or is this something special?

What did you use?
dizwiz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:50 PM   #2
rodj
CF Senior Member
 
rodj's Avatar
 
Member Since: Aug 2000
Location: Sydney Australia
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
What did you use?
Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount
rodj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 10:56 PM   #3
Churchkey
CF Senior Member
 
Churchkey's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Benton TN
Default

Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2011, 11:04 PM   #4
Churchkey
CF Senior Member
 
Churchkey's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Benton TN
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodj View Post
Support rear of car
Jack spindle up to take weight off spring , undo spring bolt and lower
Then remove spring at diff mount
Respectfully disagree.

The spring hangs from the carrier. Raising the carrier places a heavier load on the spring.
Churchkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 AM   #5
cadmaniac
CF Senior Member
 
cadmaniac's Avatar
 
Member Since: Sep 2008
Location: Alva Florida
Default

Yes, put the rear of the car (frame supported)on jack stangs, the lift one end on the spring to relieve tension with the floor jack. Loosen the nut (after taking the cotter pin out) and when the floor jack is let down the end of the spring will be loose too.
cadmaniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #6
jaa1992
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12
 
jaa1992's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
James Anderson
Send a message via MSN to jaa1992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by Churchkey View Post
Floor jack & wood block.

Vehicle on jack stands.

Raise one spring end to releive pressure on the spring hangar bolt. Remove bolt.

Ditto for side 2.

Loosen 4 center clamp bolts.

Remove bolts from 1 side & collect the shims located between top of spring & mount. Keep them separate.

Remove remaining 2 bolts, collect the shims.


Thats the way I've done it every time I've had to do something with the spring or knuckle that required the spring bolts to come out.
jaa1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:28 AM   #7
armysnipe
CF Senior Member
Support Corvetteforum!
 
armysnipe's Avatar
 
Member Since: Jun 2010
Location: Harrison Township Michigan
samurai3000
Default

I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!
armysnipe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 09:55 AM   #8
dizwiz24
CF Senior Member
 
Member Since: Sep 2001
Location: NEwhere Ohio
Default

OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?


What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .
dizwiz24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 10:22 AM   #9
jaa1992
CF Senior Member
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12
 
jaa1992's Avatar
 
Member Since: Mar 2001
Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
James Anderson
Send a message via MSN to jaa1992
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by dizwiz24 View Post
OK..so I dont need any special tools to do this. ?


What about reinstalling the spring? do i need a tool there?

btw all this work is to replace worn out ozone rotted batwing carrier bushings. I need to lower & remove the diff to do so .
Since I was putting it back together by myself I bolted the center section back to the carrier while it was supported by a jack (forget which one I used, probably the floor jack) then used the block of wood and jack to get the bolt on a couple threads, then did the other side.
Then run the nut up to the desired position. voila - no reall muss, fuss or other issues
jaa1992 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM   #10
383vett
CF Senior Member
 
383vett's Avatar
 
Member Since: Apr 2003
Location: moraga ca
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by armysnipe View Post
I also agree with Churchkey, however with the vehicle on jackstands I used a 2X8 (about the width of the car) placed directly under the spring. Then, I placed 2 20 TON bottle jacks on top of the board and raised the spring at each end slightly. With pressure relieved I removed the spring bolt nut. Then lowered springs slowly. As the springs dearched the bottle jacks will slide, but this must be done slowly and carefully. I removed my springs to install the Vansteel coilover kit.

The bottle jacks allowed me to do this project with the car raised high enough that the springs can be removed from the car. I used my harbor freight 20 TON press bottle jack and an air/hydraulic one I also purchased from Harbor Freight.

Good luck with your project!
I'm sure the 20 ton jacks worked well. Lighter, smaller, less expensive 1 ton bottle jacks or a small floor jack with a wood block will work also and be easier to handle and be less expensive. I think the 20 ton jacks are used for lifting houses.
383vett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2011, 12:21 PM
 
Go Back   Corvette Forum > C4 Corvettes, 1984 - 1996 > C4 Tech/Performance
Reload this Page where to get a transverse leaf spring compressor (for rear spring on 93 vert)
 
 
 
Reply

Tags
00, 93, compresor, compress, compression, compressor, corvette, leaf, rear, removal, replace, spring, springs, tool, transverse


Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Click for Advanced Search

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off

Forum Jump

Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
uneven rear springs hologenicman C3 Tech/Performance 51 09-17-2014 06:28 PM
Tips for Spring Mountain jksvet C6 Corvette General Discussion 6 04-26-2014 03:44 PM
z51 rear spring bramracing C4 Tech/Performance 6 04-20-2014 10:16 PM
Question - Rear Spring AF_Vette C3 General 3 04-12-2014 11:27 PM
Rear spring upgrade Caveboy C5 Tech 17 08-05-2013 10:41 AM


All times are GMT -4. The time now is 11:50 AM.


Emails & Password Backup