C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Cooling System

Search this Thread

Old 01-15-2012, 09:08 PM
JAKE-SON
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Cooling System

Car: 1996 LT1 w/ 401 stroker.
Water Pump: 133k miles on it
Radiator: Replaced in 2006 , at 102k mark i believe

Issue: Was taking it for a drive and car began to overheat. Pop the hood and discover the reservoir tank is completely full, so fully that it is bubbling out of the top. Also the upper radiator hose is hot, the lower radiator hose connecting to T-Stat housing is cool. Start it up again today with cap off and notice on a small trickle, if any, of coolant coming from the radiator back into the reservoir. Took T-STAT out and checked it, it is 160 degree new one i got from autozone and it check out fine. Thanks for all the help.

Ryan M.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:20 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE-SON
Car: 1996 LT1 w/ 401 stroker.
Water Pump: 133k miles on it
Radiator: Replaced in 2006 , at 102k mark i believe

Issue: Was taking it for a drive and car began to overheat. Pop the hood and discover the reservoir tank is completely full, so fully that it is bubbling out of the top. Also the upper radiator hose is hot, the lower radiator hose connecting to T-Stat housing is cool. Start it up again today with cap off and notice on a small trickle, if any, of coolant coming from the radiator back into the reservoir. Took T-STAT out and checked it, it is 160 degree new one i got from autozone and it check out fine. Thanks for all the help.

Ryan M.
Check for a milk shake in the oil pan. Also get a kit from AutoZone, etc and check for combustion byproducts in the coolant.

Could be as simple as needing a new water pump as well. Drain the coolant and pull the inspection cover off the water pump. See if the impeller feels tight...ie you shouldn't be able to turn it by hand.
Old 01-15-2012, 09:51 PM
JAKE-SON
Racer

Forgot to mention, just changed the oil yesterday as well. Coolant was circulating just fine up till yesterday. All of it just went to the over flow tank and sat.
Old 01-15-2012, 10:12 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by JAKE-SON
Took T-STAT out and checked it, it is 160 degree new one i got from autozone and it check out fine.
LT1 specific stat?
Old 01-16-2012, 01:33 AM
JAKE-SON
Racer

Yes it is a LT1 specific thermostat. Is it possible the radiator or water pump has become clogged? Or water pump stop working. I am going to pull the cover off and do the check like recommended tomorrow.
Old 01-16-2012, 07:19 AM
golfnstuff
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Overheat and flooding surge tank

You might want to try replacing the radiator cap. If it's lifting too soon it will send coolant to surge tank. Also, if the cap is not allowing the radiator to hold normal pressure it will allow the coolant to boil (lower pressure means lower boiling point). Worth a try, I've seen this simple fix take care of similar problems.
Ryan M.[/QUOTE]
Old 01-16-2012, 07:49 PM
gunnerjuju
Drifting

Received 49 Likes on 31 Posts

I had the same symptons this summer and went away after i replaced the radiator cap
Old 01-22-2012, 10:38 AM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

What do you mean by radiator cap?

The front one located on the cooler or the rear one on the black bottle?
Old 05-12-2012, 01:10 PM
mistaben
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by golfnstuff
You might want to try replacing the radiator cap. If it's lifting too soon it will send coolant to surge tank. Also, if the cap is not allowing the radiator to hold normal pressure it will allow the coolant to boil (lower pressure means lower boiling point). Worth a try, I've seen this simple fix take care of similar problems.
Ryan M.
[/QUOTE]

hmm... this may be my issue as the engine is running 220 in the arizona sun here. i will have to try this myself...

Get notified of new replies

To Cooling System

Quick Reply: Cooling System