C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1991 L98 won't start

Search this Thread

Old 01-18-2012, 05:41 PM
Robert North
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1991 L98 won't start

Hello and please help.

I am a new first time Corvette owner; I purchased the car a couple of weeks ago. I started fine when I bought it.
I noticed the oil temp gauge wasn't working and the TPI coolant lines were bypassed. I changed out the temp sensor and rerouted the coolant lines at the same time, now the car won't start. It turns over fine, but won't fire up.
I bypassed the coolant lines off of the TPI and still won't start. Not sure what to do. I don't seem to smell fuel... not sure where or how to start.

Not sure whe the TPI coolant lines was bypassed, but am sure it has to do with this problem.

Bob
Old 01-18-2012, 06:23 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

why dont you put it back the way it was?
Old 01-19-2012, 03:33 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Look carefully to see if you have disturbed any wiring while you were under the hood.
Old 01-19-2012, 05:36 PM
rodj
Le Mans Master

Received 30 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Robert North
I changed out the temp sensor
Which temp sensor?
Old 01-22-2012, 01:44 PM
Robert North
2nd Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thanks for all the help.

Thanks for everyones replies... I eneded up running the OBD and got a C41 code. Calls out an open to the ECM. Got one out of the junk yard for 50 bucks, changed it out and it runs ionce again.

Bob
Old 01-22-2012, 02:51 PM
Bubba91
Pro

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Robert North

Not sure whe the TPI coolant lines was bypassed, but am sure it has to do with this problem.

Bob
The throttle body bypass is done by many vette owners. The coolant is circulated through the throttle body to keep it from icing over in very cold weather. If you are not worried about that, then it is a little beneficial to do the bypass, which keepas the air entering your engine at a lower temperature; thus, creating s tiny bit more power. It does clean up the engine bay a little and makes it easier to work on, if you have to remove the throttle body in the future.

Get notified of new replies

To 1991 L98 won't start

Quick Reply: 1991 L98 won't start