C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Still no start

Search this Thread

Old 11-10-2012, 11:01 AM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Still no start

Will not start, but at first turn of key it almost seems to catch. So far i've replaced the fuel filter and the dist. ign. module.Fuel pump primes, I pulled the vac line from the fuel regulator no strong smell of gas.I welcome ALL thoughts. I have a factory manual but it gives so many different directions to go. This will probably be my winter project.
Old 11-10-2012, 01:35 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Are you getting spark. Pull the plugs to see if they are wet. If so, you have fuel. 2 things are needed for a motor to fire, spark and fuel. Good luck.
Old 11-10-2012, 02:58 PM
Blackhole
Instructor

L-98 or LT1? Try this link for L98 motors http://corvettebuyers.com/c4vettes/l98.htm
Old 11-10-2012, 04:36 PM
Pingman326
Advanced

And compression !
Old 11-10-2012, 10:47 PM
precisionturbovette
Heel & Toe

Mine recently had the same issue. Would only fire when yiu turned the key off. My problem was the ignition module. Can you give us a history of how it came to be in a no start condition?
Old 11-10-2012, 11:03 PM
vetteoz
Safety Car

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Was it running correctly before the trans swap?
Old 11-11-2012, 12:40 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by precisionturbovette
Mine recently had the same issue. Would only fire when yiu turned the key off. My problem was the ignition module. Can you give us a history of how it came to be in a no start condition?
A few weeks ago, just normal driving, I accelerated a little and nothing happened, I backed off of it and it seemed ok, a few days later it started fine, idled fine, but would not accelerate. I did not go far (200 yards), it just limped home. Now no start at all. Seems to want to catch the first second I turn the key but then just turns over and over.Fuel pump is about a year old. Appreciate any wisdom on this!
Old 11-12-2012, 10:40 AM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

In my case i had similiar symptoms,

Start with any stored codes, check your timing and components,then check your fuel pressure.

In my case bad map sensor initially, ( got a code, tested the old one it was bad ) then loose map sensor vac hose then checked and found the timing was off due to the harmonic balancer shifting,

The cause was incorrect base timing, the ignition control module AND the ignition pick up coil assembly, old incorrectly gapped plugs.

Start by checking your timing and go systematically testing all related components,

If you did not apply the heat sink compound on the new ignition control module it could have fried.

In my case i was not able to see that parts of the pick up coil were broken until i took it apart !

I also accidentally switched the wires on the ignition control module during re-assembly and it would not re-start, so check that too, refereed to the fsm and got it running fine.

The connectors were so brittle they broke in my hand.

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...er-wobble.html
Old 11-12-2012, 03:39 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

I checked for codes, there weren't any. Can't check the timing cause it won't start, I did put heat sink compound on the dist. mod.I have ordered a fuel pressure gauge so i'll check it when it is delivered.It has spark tho. I appreciate the info,thanks.
Old 11-13-2012, 12:08 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You can check the timing while cranking. It doesn't have to be running.

Watch out for the outer ring of the harmonic balancer slipping. There seems to be a rash of these around here these days. Happened to me several years ago.
Old 11-13-2012, 06:42 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Ok here's something new. Was checking for spark today and thought I should pull the fuse for the fuel pump just so that it did not run while I was turning the engine over. It started up briefly which is more than it's done for a few weeks. The fuse is labeled FP which also handles the oil pressure switch and ECM. Could the oil pressure switch be bad? This is the first sign of life in several weeks! One other thing, the FSM states to "open the dist.by pass" to check the coil. Could anyone explain how?
Old 11-13-2012, 09:09 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

Originally Posted by hobbs vette
I checked for codes, there weren't any. Can't check the timing cause it won't start, I did put heat sink compound on the dist. mod.I have ordered a fuel pressure gauge so i'll check it when it is delivered.It has spark tho. I appreciate the info,thanks.
You said " It has spark tho " so did it or didn't it have spark ?

Not to sound rude but it either does or it doesn't, prove one thing is correct systematically first before moving onto the next before assuming that it is right or you'll never move forward.

I posted my thread so you can see that no one mentioned the pick up coil as a possible problem, i just replaced it knowing from personal experience that nothing lasts forever and this was the first part in the chain of the ignition system to check ( logically ) and or replace ( in my case it was indeed in bad shape ) before moving onto the next part to ensure i wasn't chasing my tail in circles.

Jumping around isn't going to solve the problem it's only going to frustrate you more and not allow anyone to help you pinpoint where to test or where to look for the next logical cause of the symptom.

But there is the possibility of a definite maybe that the oil pressure sender could be a part, or in and of itself the contributing factor in the no start condition you are experiencing.

Again hope you don't take this the wrong way, just trying to be helpful.
Old 11-14-2012, 03:42 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
You said " It has spark tho " so did it or didn't it have spark ?

Not to sound rude but it either does or it doesn't, prove one thing is correct systematically first before moving onto the next before assuming that it is right or you'll never move forward.

I posted my thread so you can see that no one mentioned the pick up coil as a possible problem, i just replaced it knowing from personal experience that nothing lasts forever and this was the first part in the chain of the ignition system to check ( logically ) and or replace ( in my case it was indeed in bad shape ) before moving onto the next part to ensure i wasn't chasing my tail in circles.

Jumping around isn't going to solve the problem it's only going to frustrate you more and not allow anyone to help you pinpoint where to test or where to look for the next logical cause of the symptom.

But there is the possibility of a definite maybe that the oil pressure sender could be a part, or in and of itself the contributing factor in the no start condition you are experiencing.

Again hope you don't take this the wrong way, just trying to be helpful.
Yes, does have spark.
Old 11-15-2012, 02:29 PM
oifcombatvet
Advanced

For what it's worth, my car would not start either. I replaced the fuel pump/strainer and filter with no luck. Replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and it fired right up.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:33 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by oifcombatvet
For what it's worth, my car would not start either. I replaced the fuel pump/strainer and filter with no luck. Replaced the Fuel Pump Relay and it fired right up.
Thanks i'll give it a try. I don't mind the hit and miss because several years ago the dealership charged me $550 and it still did not run well,I replaced the fuel pump ($80) and it ran great. So I'd rather spend a few hundred to figure it out myself rather than waste it at the dealers. I've had the car for 25 years so I guess it doesn't hurt to replace some of these parts now and then.
Old 11-15-2012, 03:35 PM
GQ-ROD
Pro

This may help

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...-us-noobs.html
Old 11-15-2012, 03:54 PM
hobbs vette
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by GQ-ROD
Thanks. I'll take a look at it.