C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Hypertech Performance Chips.

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2012, 12:32 PM
BUDAMMO
Cruising

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hypertech Performance Chips.

I have to replace my 1989 corvette ECM. I have been thinking of buy Hypertech Thermo Master Performance Chip since I already have the ECM out of the car. I would like your opinion on Hypertech clips pros and cons, increase or decrease in WHP and Torg. I appreciate your help. Thanks.
Old 02-08-2012, 12:36 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by BUDAMMO
I have to replace my 1989 corvette ECM. I have been thinking of buy Hypertech Thermo Master Performance Chip since I already have the ECM out of the car. I would like your opinion on Hypertech clips pros and cons, increase or decrease in WHP and Torg. I appreciate your help. Thanks.
I don't believe you will see much beyond your wallet lightening. I have bought those sort of chips and returned them. I'd either stay stock or at the very least, get someone to tune the car for what I have or get a dyno tune or even a tune by data logs. I believe someone who read the chip said the most they have seen is a lowering of when the fan comes on.
Old 02-08-2012, 01:40 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

The engineers that developed your car were pretty sharp. There aren't really any hidden performance gains to be had without hardware changes. At best you might get a "seat of the pants" improvement that isn't really faster on the stopwatch.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:26 PM
TA
Team Owner

Received 261 Likes on 159 Posts

Years ago I tried a Jet stage 2 chip in my 91 (which I'll assume is similar to the hypercrap chip). I went to the track and made a few runs with the stock chip and a few with the Jet chip. Its been awhile, but if I recall correctly the car ran about .15 seconds quicker with the stock chip. I promptly removed the chip and sold it on ebay. If it were my car I'd stick with the stocker until your mods require you to get a custom prom burned.
Old 02-08-2012, 03:29 PM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

I have a 1990 L98 with automatic transmission. The previous owner installed a Hypertech 120382 ThermoMaster Power Chip ($179) in the car back in 2002. He also installed a lower thermostat ($7), Hypertech coil ($99) and Walker mufflers ($250) (which, BTW, are loud and make that drone sound in the car -- getting ready to install my second layer of Dynamat in the Spring!). Car sounds cool and I would not change a thing. Nor would I have made any of the modifications if I had to shell out the money for them. That said, it does get a bit better gas mileage (mayber 1.5 MPG more) than my son's 1991 L98 auto and seems a bit faster as well (which is probably due more to the 3 1/2 inch exhaust versus the stock 2 1/2 inch exhaust on the 1991 than the chip).
Old 02-08-2012, 04:33 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Once upon a time I dyno tuned a car for a guy who had an aftermarket chip from one of the major manufacturers. Just for fun I opened it up and compared it to the stocker. The ONLY difference was that they set the fans for a lower temperature thermostat and REMOVED the rev limiter.

So, if you just really wanna spend the extra money, pay me half of what you would spend on the "performance" chip and I'll kick you in the ***** and we'll call it even.
The following users liked this post:
rds63 (07-26-2020)
Old 02-08-2012, 05:52 PM
aklim
Team Owner

Received 2,225 Likes on 1,939 Posts

Originally Posted by Nathan Plemons
Once upon a time I dyno tuned a car for a guy who had an aftermarket chip from one of the major manufacturers. Just for fun I opened it up and compared it to the stocker. The ONLY difference was that they set the fans for a lower temperature thermostat and REMOVED the rev limiter.

So, if you just really wanna spend the extra money, pay me half of what you would spend on the "performance" chip and I'll kick you in the ***** and we'll call it even.
I'll pass on the ROHSHAMBO and ask you this. I believe that a stock car still has some potential. Have you managed to push a stock car with JUST prom tuning?

Get notified of new replies

To Hypertech Performance Chips.

Quick Reply: Hypertech Performance Chips.