C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

R&D Racing Cross Bar as a Harness Bar

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2012, 01:16 PM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default R&D Racing Cross Bar as a Harness Bar

Hi Folks,

I have a R&D Cross Bar in my car and I am planning on adding harnesses. I autocross and track the car.

My Cross Bar has a sticker that reads something like "this device is intended to increase vehicle stability and we recommend using factory seat belts".

How many folks are using the R&D Cross Bar as a harness bar? Anybody have any crash experience with this setup?

Thanks in Advance.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:27 PM
Sidney004
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am using a cross bar as the race belt mounting attachment point. It is not an RD but very similar. Thankfully, no real world test experience, but the belts mount perfectly.
Old 02-11-2012, 01:34 PM
Dr.Huxtable
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I run one and absolutely love it, I didn't install it though. Previous owner did. Come with an sweet plate for mounting a camera also. I can't say that i've noticed the car is more rigid or anything because it's always been there, but it does make a great spot for mounting the harness

Old 02-13-2012, 08:18 PM
Gas Junkie
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Thanks for the input!
Old 02-14-2012, 08:39 AM
armybyrd
Drifting

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Where'd you guys buy this at?
Old 02-14-2012, 09:03 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I have a home built one mounted the same way and modled after the R&D bar. I would say it does very little in terms of increasing stiffness, if anything. My sole purpose for adding it was to mount the harness.
Old 02-15-2012, 09:34 PM
NASCAR314
Drifting

Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Gas Junkie
My Cross Bar has a sticker that reads something like "this device is intended to increase vehicle stability and we recommend using factory seat belts".
It's a harness bar, the sticker is basically an insurance dis-claimer so you don't sue if you get hurt in a crash.

As for stiffening the car, not too much on the coupe, but the convertible model helped tremendously. I have since installed a roll-bar set-up in mine eliminating the need for the "cross-bar''.

The convertible "cross-bar" is different from the coupe. do not interchange. I sold mine years ago here on the forum. Not even sure if RD racing even makes them anymore.

Get notified of new replies

To R&D Racing Cross Bar as a Harness Bar

Quick Reply: R&D Racing Cross Bar as a Harness Bar