C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

85 - No Heat

Search this Thread

Old 02-18-2012, 11:36 AM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 85 - No Heat

I guess this is a heating 101 question. Its a new used car and I just got it running and have driven it a few times and there is no heat. Its like there is no heater core in there. It blows the same temp whether the heater or a/c is selected. The air blows cold (its pennsylvania). There is not even a hint of heated air.

I was going to back flush the core and see if anything comes out. But, before I do that, I thought I would see if anyone had a suggestion.

The Engine warms up - runs at 193 when driving; it can get up to 220 when idling in the driveway.
The fans come on at some point
I took the TB off to clean it and just mod'd the throttle body while I had it off - coolant bypass - so no coolant runs through the TB.
Both heater hoses get hot
The Control valve opens and closes (no vac - vac) depending on heat setting and heat or a/c setting switch (no vac to valve, its open ; vac to valve, its closed)
Fan blows in all settings low high
Air blows out of the right vents depending on setting - defrost, heat, or ac
Cold -> Hot switch moves freely left to right (cable is connected)
I removed the center panel and removed the radio and heater/ac switch panel and all the vac lines are connected up
Rear window defrost is working
I removed the passenger side carpet and everything was up there. I couldnt see the door which is opened/closed by the cold/hot slider but the cover is up there.

So, the only thing I can of is that core is passing coolant through a "main" bypass or something and that the finned area is blocked. I never had the misfortune to have a heater core problem so I'm not sure how they are built.

What am I missing?

Last edited by Tim_Ko; 02-18-2012 at 11:40 AM.
Old 02-18-2012, 12:46 PM
oldalaskaman
Le Mans Master

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

blend door
Old 02-18-2012, 12:55 PM
Tim_Ko
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by oldalaskaman
blend door
Thanks. I'll have to look that up. That's the door thats controlled by the cable which is push/pulled by the cold - > hot slider ... I guess. Yeah, I couldnt find the end of the cable when I looked up so I'm not 100% sure whether it is connected but ... when I move the temp slider ... its not like its not connected to anything. It does have some resistence so I thought it had to be connected.

I'll check. Yeah, being in Alaska ... I'm sure you are intimately familar with the heating system, the cold start injector ... best oil viscosity to use, coolant mixtures and all that.

I appreciate it. Thanks a lot
Tim

Get notified of new replies

To 85 - No Heat

Quick Reply: 85 - No Heat