C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

ACDelco remanufactured optispark vs. ACDelco NOS/OEM optispark

Search this Thread

Old 02-27-2012, 08:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default ACDelco remanufactured optispark vs. ACDelco NOS/OEM optispark

I spent top dollar to get what I thought would be NOS ACDelco Optispark, from an un-named vendor.

I clearly entered the correct part number into their website.

Instead they sent me this 'remanufactured' AC Delco optispark w/ a different part number than what I ordered.

I took it apart and do not trust that it is the same quality as an OEM ACDelco optispark.

First off, the cap isnt even the same color. (black/grey? ) vs. black/tan

Next off, the 'sensor' looks different than what is in my current opti (gen -1). It does have a hard-to-read diamond star emblem on it (mitsubishi), but I dont trust it. If you look right below (and to the right) where the harness plugs in, you can see some smudgings of a 'diamond -star' emblem. Not real clear at all, even in person.

At one time I had another optispark (Summit brand) and the shape of the optical sensor looked the exact same as this 'remanufactured ACDelco' one (which is different than the shape of the genuine Mitsubishi optical sensor on my 93 optispark). I suspect this is a 'made in china' optical sensor with a phony mitsubishi logo (or something that looks similar to it) on it.

On the plus side, the optical wheel isnt warped like the one was on the brand new 'Summit' brand optispark I had.

Im pretty pissed off right now. I paid top dollar because I wanted a NOS ACDelco optispark II. If I wanted a knock-off, I could have paid $80 for one. This vendor pulled a switcheroo on me. Though they did have in fine print that they could use different part numbers if available.

Im trying to work out a return with the vendor (they usually dont take returns). If they are not co-operative, I will be happy to post who they are.
Old 02-28-2012, 08:41 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

can anybody at least tell me if the innards of this thing look like what is in their 95-96 OEM ACDelco optispark?

To me, the shape of the optical sensor package looks different than whats on my 93 optispark.
Old 02-28-2012, 09:29 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

ahhhh, the old switch-a-roo! i too, would be totally pi$$ed. so, inquiring minds want to know, who's the vendor?
Old 02-28-2012, 09:39 AM
TTOP350
Racer

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm sure the parts were updated or suppliers changed over the years. Oddly enuff the optical sensor is the most reliable part in that thing.(so I'm told)
I sure wouldn't want to pay top dollar for a reman tho, even if they use all "new' parts..
Old 02-28-2012, 10:47 AM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

That deal sucks. I hope you get it sorted out.
Old 02-28-2012, 11:38 AM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

There are other brands out there (not Delphi/AC Delco) that have optical sensors from other sources that are bad from the start. So it appears only the Mitsubishi sensors are reliable.

Warren
Old 02-28-2012, 12:14 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

LINKY to the rest

Old 02-28-2012, 12:54 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
LINKY to the rest

If those pictures are the insides of an actual OEM optispark, then they dont look much different than this remanufactured unit.

My concern is the optispark sensor.

They must have changed the way it looks from 93 OEM to 95-96 OEM.

heres what the optispark sensor looked like on my OEM 93 ACDELCO (water damaged optispark)

Old 02-28-2012, 07:43 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,741 Likes on 1,049 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
If those pictures are the insides of an actual OEM optispark, then they dont look much different than this remanufactured unit.

My concern is the optispark sensor.

They must have changed the way it looks from 93 OEM to 95-96 OEM.

heres what the optispark sensor looked like on my OEM 93 ACDELCO (water damaged optispark)

The pics of the Opti in the link I sent are exactly what my '96 Opti looks like inside. The Opti shown in the pics is from a '95 F-body.

Get notified of new replies

To ACDelco remanufactured optispark vs. ACDelco NOS/OEM optispark

Quick Reply: ACDelco remanufactured optispark vs. ACDelco NOS/OEM optispark