C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Question about water vapor from the tail pipe

Search this Thread

Old 03-09-2012, 05:17 PM
My68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Question about water vapor from the tail pipe

I got my 1993 to run smooth as glass. I needed new injectors. Everything works as designed. The fans kick in at 227 and stop at 212. No water leaks of any kind. However no matter how long I warm the car up I see water vapor ( More on a cold day) coming out of the tail pipes. Its clear water, leaving both a small puddle under each pipe and a wet vapors on the bumper. Its not red or green. It looks just like clear water. Is that from sitting. The car is not in use. I hate to think its a head gasket. There isn't any pressure in the overflow tank. No water in the oil. Something to worry about?
Old 03-09-2012, 05:19 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

Sounds like condensation in the exhaust system.
Old 03-09-2012, 05:21 PM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

Nope no worries condesation takes a bit to burn off and the longer it sits the more you get. Heating and cooling adds as well.
Dave
Old 03-09-2012, 05:24 PM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

H2O is a natural by-product of combustion and is nothing to worry about. Normally it stays as steam and exits the pipe as a vapor, but some of it condenses in the pipe. You see it more on a cold day because the exhaust pipes are colder and more steam condenses on the pipe walls..

It's one of those things that you never notice, until you look for it. Next time you're stuck in traffic sitting at a traffic light for a while. Notice when the car beside you moves you will see a little stream of water will dribble out when they move. The first time I ever saw it I was like "WTF," now I see it all the time.
Old 03-09-2012, 07:00 PM
My68
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the info

Get notified of new replies

To Question about water vapor from the tail pipe

Quick Reply: Question about water vapor from the tail pipe