C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

87 C4 engine wire harness removal

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2012, 01:36 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default 87 C4 engine wire harness removal

A few years ago I purchased a couple engine wire harnesses for my 87 because I didn't like their routing it over the rear of the engine. I still don't because I had to replace the oxygen sensor feed conductor after it found ground taking the 0.37 VDC with it. I don't want to take the engine out of the Corvette. I can't find anyone that has removed the wire harness with the engine in place. Has anyone replaced their engine harness with the engine in place? If so could you give a run down on how you did it.

Gary
Old 03-10-2012, 01:56 PM
ch@0s
Le Mans Master

Received 38 Likes on 32 Posts

Originally Posted by loaded vet
A few years ago I purchased a couple engine wire harnesses for my 87 because I didn't like their routing it over the rear of the engine. I still don't because I had to replace the oxygen sensor feed conductor after it found ground taking the 0.37 VDC with it. I don't want to take the engine out of the Corvette. I can't find anyone that has removed the wire harness with the engine in place. Has anyone replaced their engine harness with the engine in place? If so could you give a run down on how you did it.

Gary
You do not need to pull the motor. Disconnect wires pull wires out replace with new. Unless you bought a custom harness I don't see how you are going to route them otherwise.

Last edited by ch@0s; 03-10-2012 at 02:00 PM.
Old 03-10-2012, 05:25 PM
LD85
Race Director

Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I did , many have

Once you seperate the harness, being the engine management and other stuff that does not go to the ECU , just pull it thru the firewall
Old 03-10-2012, 11:09 PM
loaded vet
Advanced

Guys thanks for the heads up. So, you don't replace the complete assembly just slide the terminals through the plastic split wrap without the plastic housings.

Gary
Old 03-11-2012, 04:57 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

You need to pull out the distributor so you can get to the screws that hold the harness bulkhead feedthrough to the firewall.

I think your biggest problem will be getting everything disconnected inside the dashboard.
Old 03-14-2012, 12:51 AM
loaded vet
Advanced

Default Thanks for the detail

I think you're right with the harness disconnect inside. I was looking at the other 87 harness I have finding that the cable housing has the split at the bottom of the wire bundle and both the harness in the car and the one outside have the oxygen wire that went to ground located at the split. Thus my concern with the warness drapped over the bellhousing. Thanks for the detail.

Gary

Get notified of new replies

To 87 C4 engine wire harness removal

Quick Reply: 87 C4 engine wire harness removal