C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

caliper rebuild questions

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2012, 11:41 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default caliper rebuild questions

I am currently rebuilding the suspension on my LT4 and I am thinking about powder coating the calipers so I would have to take the pistons apart and then rebuild after the powder coat. I have read the fsm but I am having some trepidation about taking them apart. How hard is it to rebuild. I have minimal skills and obviously brakes are a big deal. I don't want to die because I am an idiot. I am also worried about the rear parking brake assembly. Is this a pita to take apart and put back together? The parking brake is not currently functional so I have to address that anyway. any thoughts? Thanks
Old 03-19-2012, 12:19 AM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

Originally Posted by Elrick
I am currently rebuilding the suspension on my LT4 and I am thinking about powder coating the calipers so I would have to take the pistons apart and then rebuild after the powder coat. I have read the fsm but I am having some trepidation about taking them apart. How hard is it to rebuild. I have minimal skills and obviously brakes are a big deal. I don't want to die because I am an idiot. I am also worried about the rear parking brake assembly. Is this a pita to take apart and put back together? The parking brake is not currently functional so I have to address that anyway. any thoughts? Thanks
well, with minimum skills, and the complexity of the rears with the parking brake assembly, my best advice is to buy a new or rebuilt set that has already been powder coated. try corvette specialties in MN, ph: 763-784-8577 or brad's corvette @ 954-564-0808. i'm thinking you can pick up a set of rebuilt, red powder coated calipers for around $400 or so, and new for $600. 4 bills is most likely, less than, rebuild kits, and the cost of powder coating for a do-it-yourself'r.

Last edited by Joe C; 03-19-2012 at 12:26 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:13 AM
Elrick
Drifting

It seems like all the companies sell only red or black powder coated. I am looking for gold and they don't take orders for specific colors. Does anyone know of a powder coater who will use what ever color you want and then rebuild the caliper for you? I know it sounds a bit funny but I have a picture in my mind of what I want the wheel to look like. It's a green car with 5 spoke, torque thrust rims so I want to put the gold calipers and paint the rotor hats black. anyway, thanks and any more suggestions would be appreciated
Old 03-19-2012, 07:25 AM
PAINTER MAN
Burning Brakes

Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

I don't know how necessary it is to powder coat the calipers. I painted mine with a rattle can two years ago and they still look perfect. As long as the surface is clean and you get a good bond with the primer, I don't see a problem. I never disassembled the calipers.
Old 03-19-2012, 07:52 AM
helphos
Burning Brakes

Received 93 Likes on 72 Posts

Default Calipers

It seems like all the companies sell only red or black powder coated. I am looking for gold and they don't take orders for specific colors. Does anyone know of a powder coater who will use what ever color you want and then rebuild the caliper for you? I know it sounds a bit funny but I have a picture in my mind of what I want the wheel to look like. It's a green car with 5 spoke, torque thrust rims so I want to put the gold calipers and paint the rotor hats black. anyway, thanks and any more suggestions would be appreciated
Just for comparison, I have the same color car, and put the J55 rotors on. I boght them used and they came in red, and thought they'd look a little too much like Christmas decorations. but it's grown on me.

I like the idea of Gold and green. If you're an old racer, it will remind you of the Lotus racing colors from way back!

Old 03-19-2012, 08:11 AM
muskegonbrake
Supporting Vendor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It seems like all the companies sell only red or black powder coated. I am looking for gold and they don't take orders for specific colors. Does anyone know of a powder coater who will use what ever color you want and then rebuild the caliper for you?
We have done different colors in the past, I'm sure we could do gold on the calipers.

Andrew
800-442-0335
http://www.muskegonbrake.com
Old 03-19-2012, 09:01 AM
Deepa
Burning Brakes

Received 67 Likes on 60 Posts

I went through the same thing...gold and all. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a set of j55 fronts with brackets, disassemble than get them PC'd. It was a pain to clean and blast them. Make sure the threads are capped off as well as the area where the crush washers seal.

The rears and the pbrake assembly aren't hard once you figure them out. dorman sells kits to rebuild the rear caliper and it comes with all of the hardware for the pbrake.

DORMAN Part # D352746

They arent easy to come by. There 2 available on the auction site but priced too high. Got them from summit for around 10 bucks each.

It's def worth it, especially if you have a molds and you can see the calipers.

Note: Im in RI and although not right next door, id be willing to help you if needed. Thats what this place is for.

Mike
Attached Images     

Last edited by Deepa; 03-19-2012 at 09:14 AM.
Old 03-19-2012, 10:42 PM
Elrick
Drifting

Originally Posted by Deepa
I went through the same thing...gold and all. If I were to do it again, I'd buy a set of j55 fronts with brackets, disassemble than get them PC'd. It was a pain to clean and blast them. Make sure the threads are capped off as well as the area where the crush washers seal.

The rears and the pbrake assembly aren't hard once you figure them out. dorman sells kits to rebuild the rear caliper and it comes with all of the hardware for the pbrake.

DORMAN Part # D352746

They arent easy to come by. There 2 available on the auction site but priced too high. Got them from summit for around 10 bucks each.

It's def worth it, especially if you have a molds and you can see the calipers.

Note: Im in RI and although not right next door, id be willing to help you if needed. Thats what this place is for.

Mike
I have been looking for this pic. This is what I want. I am a bit intimidated by the parking brake assembly as well as by the caliper rebuild. Currently, my parking brake does not work, which is a bit scary for a manual. The brake lever seems to work and the lines are there, I think I need to adjust it at the caliper. anyway, I would certainly welcome and be willing to pay for some help with this. I pretty much have the rear suspension apart and am putting all new bushings and u-joints so I want to do the brakes and they look great on your car. The green and gold is a great combination with the rims. Thanks

Get notified of new replies

To caliper rebuild questions

Quick Reply: caliper rebuild questions