C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT-1, lower coolant recovery tank over flowing

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2012, 09:23 AM
69mako
Race Director

Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts

Default LT-1, lower coolant recovery tank over flowing

The vehicle, 1994 Corvette coupe, stock LT-1 motor

The issue, lower recovery tank over flowing-empty upper recovery tank

This issue is a bit puzzling to me. I took the Vette off jack stands this weekend and fired her up. She runs great. I had a “low coolant” light on the dash. I took a look around-No leaking hoses, no leaking water pump, no coolant mixed with the oil

I topped of the upper coolant tank and the light went out, as the motor warmed up all temps came up to normal.

I drove the Vette for about 45 minutes-normal operating temps on water and oil, I then let it sit. I noticed that coolant was coming out the top of the lower recovery tank-from the valve in the cap. It was overflowing-strange.

I let everything cool down and took a look around the motor. I found that the coolant I had added to the upper tank was gone-tank looked empty; again I inspected the motor, no leaking hoses, no leaking water pump, no leaking radiator, no coolant mixed with the oil and no dreaded leaking heater core. The coolant I added had recirculated through the motor but ended up over filling the lower recovery tank.

Is there a check valve in the upper recovery tank that has stuck and is not allowing the coolant to refill the tank and is pushing the overflow into the lower recovery tank?

Thanks, Larry
Old 03-20-2012, 10:17 AM
Nathan Plemons
Race Director

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Coolant flows into and out of the recovery tank via the same hose, there is no check valve, at least there certainly should not be.

It sounds like you just have a great big air bubble in your coolant system. The LT1 engine can be a little tricky to get bled out properly.
Old 03-20-2012, 06:21 PM
69mako
Race Director

It was fine and burped when I set it on jack stands in Dec, I'll burp it again and see what happens. I'll break out the Helms book and see what lines should flow what to where.
Old 03-20-2012, 10:44 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

I was going to say, are the lines routed correctly? They are labeled top, bottom, etc...

Also, is your pressure cap good? That is what allows coolant into the lower tank as it warms up and back into the system as it cools down.
Old 03-21-2012, 04:40 AM
Kmcoldcars
Melting Slicks

Received 285 Likes on 134 Posts

The pressure from the expansion of the coolant as it heats forces the coolant into the lower tank and is overflowing it. As the coolant cools down and contracts the vacuum created in the cooling system should pull the water from the lower tank into the cooling system. If it does not then you may not have any vacuum, which would most likely be a bad cap, or could be a big water bubble in the system.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:19 AM
ddahlgren
Melting Slicks

Received 64 Likes on 60 Posts

A while back I think someone tracked their similar problem down to a cracked upper tank that would not allow vacuum to pull the coolant back but did not visibly leak. A search may help as it was only weeks ago from what I remember.
Dave
Old 03-21-2012, 07:40 AM
summerst
Racer

Received 45 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
A while back I think someone tracked their similar problem down to a cracked upper tank that would not allow vacuum to pull the coolant back but did not visibly leak. A search may help as it was only weeks ago from what I remember.
Dave
Now I understand why my mechanic was so insistent about replacing the upper tank on my '91. It looked fine to me but I did it anyway (along with a new cap) and the "running hot" issues went away. This was after we tried in vain to cool the car down including replacing the temperature sensor and thermostat. That was back in 2005 but I remember it as though it was yesterday as the car had real trouble getting through emissions here in VA because it was running so hot.
Old 03-21-2012, 07:42 AM
Old Ben
Team Owner

Received 128 Likes on 98 Posts
2017 C6 of Year Finalist

Originally Posted by ddahlgren
Dave
Also check the hose from to the overflow tank. Even a very small crack or puncture can result in the vacuum sucking air through it and not the water from the overflow tank.
Old 03-21-2012, 08:27 AM
69mako
Race Director

The surge tank cap was my first thought. I’ll replace that and put in a new thermostat (its due) and see what happens. I’ll also check the tank for pin leaks.

I read the posts on the cracked surge tank when I researched my problem.
Old 03-21-2012, 09:00 AM
XR_Strider_GuY
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yeap I have one of these tanks on the way. Same symptoms as everyone else, lower tank filling up but everything else is ok. I will report once installed.
Old 03-27-2012, 06:13 PM
corvetero
Pro

Received 15 Likes on 13 Posts

Same problem to me, even after replacing radiator cap. Anyway, I've check the rubber seal of my new cap and I noticed is smaller compares with the old one.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:33 PM
69mako
Race Director

Originally Posted by corvetero
Same problem to me, even after replacing radiator cap. Anyway, I've check the rubber seal of my new cap and I noticed is smaller compares with the old one.
I'll check that out when my new surge cap arrives today. I'll file a report on this problem and its solution when I'm finished.
Old 03-28-2012, 01:52 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The stat may be hanging up. Whenever I had an issue like this, it was a bad stat. Take it out, put on the stove in boiling water and see if it's opening.
Old 03-28-2012, 02:58 PM
69mako
Race Director

Originally Posted by caddyboy84
The stat may be hanging up. Whenever I had an issue like this, it was a bad stat. Take it out, put on the stove in boiling water and see if it's opening.
If I'm going through the trouble of pulling it out-I'm just going to drop in a new one...which I have ready
Old 03-28-2012, 03:04 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69mako
If I'm going through the trouble of pulling it out-I'm just going to drop in a new one...which I have ready
But.....If it don't open, you'll know that was it
Old 03-28-2012, 11:55 PM
HUPCEJ4x4x454
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Worst case scenerio (which is what has happened to me)... a very small head gasket leak between a cylinder and a water jacket passage. After running for a while (30 mins to an hour), the cylinder pressure would slowly pressurize the cooling system, eventually displacing much of the coolant into the overflow tank, along with the "Low Coolant" light coming on. Other than that, there were no other warning signs (no white smoke, milky oil, overheating, etc.)

Hope this is not the same problem with yours. Good luck!
Old 03-29-2012, 11:26 AM
69mako
Race Director

I’m leaning towards a bad surge tank cap. Mine is OEM-18 years old and the gasket fell off in my hand last night. I have the new OEM replacement and will be installing and testing the cooling system Saturday morning.

The new cap looks to be constructed with a better gasket.

Get notified of new replies

To LT-1, lower coolant recovery tank over flowing

Old 03-29-2012, 12:21 PM
desertmike1
Melting Slicks

Received 50 Likes on 49 Posts

Originally Posted by HUPCEJ4x4x454
Worst case scenerio (which is what has happened to me)... a very small head gasket leak between a cylinder and a water jacket passage. After running for a while (30 mins to an hour), the cylinder pressure would slowly pressurize the cooling system, eventually displacing much of the coolant into the overflow tank, along with the "Low Coolant" light coming on. Other than that, there were no other warning signs (no white smoke, milky oil, overheating, etc.)

X2

This happened to me....
Old 03-29-2012, 02:39 PM
69mako
Race Director

Originally Posted by HUPCEJ4x4x454

What test procedure(s) did you utilize to discover it was a leaking head gasket?
Old 03-29-2012, 02:41 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by 69mako
What test procedure(s) did you utilize to discover it was a leaking head gasket?
There is chemical test that is done to see if there is exshaust emmissions in the antifreeze.

Quick Reply: LT-1, lower coolant recovery tank over flowing