C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 L98 intake gasket repair gone wrong, HELP

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2012, 08:39 PM
ninjaneer911
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 86 L98 intake gasket repair gone wrong, HELP

Im struggling here guys, and in need of some help.

I replaced the intake gasket, the egr, fuel orings, and put the motor back together. The car is difficult to start. Once started the motor revs up and bogs. It will run for a few minutes if im lucky. While running, there is a high piched squeal that appears to be coming from the throttle body. An occasional knock can be heard at the throttle body when the bogging revving happen just right. Not a metal on metal knock, but a cavitation sounding knock (if that makes sense). The timing is correct as far as i can tell. I do not smell fuel under the hood. When disconnected, the pcv valve has a very strong vacuum.

My stepfather says that it is a vacuum leak. We have sprayed succeptable areas with carb cleaner and listened for the engine to rev up. I think i may have found a leak at or about the fuel regulator.

Does anyone have a diagram for the vacuum system and lines? Suggestion on how to attack this problem?
Old 03-25-2012, 08:54 PM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

Here is 86 vacuum

Did you remember the small vac line from bottom of TB to EGR solenoid ?
Old 03-25-2012, 09:46 PM
Joe B.
Melting Slicks

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

If there is a very strong vacuum at the PCV valve there could be a gasket leak internally at the bottom of the intake base. Probably a mis-aligned gasket. It will also pull oil from the lifter valley and foul the affected spark plugs.

Get notified of new replies

To 86 L98 intake gasket repair gone wrong, HELP

Quick Reply: 86 L98 intake gasket repair gone wrong, HELP