C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1988 35th radio

Old 04-21-2012, 04:38 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1988 35th radio

Hi there I just put my 88 on the road after sitting around for the past few years and am having problems with the radio. If it sits for a day the radio will turn on and sound for about 10 seconds and then nothing at all. Day later same thing. Any suggestions, would like to keep stock radio in but if need be will go find an after market deck and speakers.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:10 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Sure sounds like an internal issue.

If you have a cassette tape see if the player works. In case you decide to keep her stock it will help in repair.

Then too it may clear up after some usage of the car.

My '88 IROC-Z has the same Bose and it too was intermittent when I first got the car. Over a bit of time it would work longer and now, after a few years, it's flawless.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:26 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Ok thanks, will have to go out and buy a cassette as I have not had one of them for many years now. But worth a try.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:49 PM
65Z01
Team Owner

Received 300 Likes on 274 Posts
Cruise-In II Veteran

Right, then you will know if the base radio has a problem or just the tuner.

BTW, when it craps out does the clock still work or just "darkness"?

Also, you might try driving it around with the radio On, even though no sound. Mine would eventually come back on and then play well.
Old 04-21-2012, 05:53 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

The clock stays lit up and if you push the buttons you see the radio station for am or fm. Will take it for a ride tomorrow if the rain stops and pick up a tape to try out.
Old 04-21-2012, 09:30 PM
HAD2HAV2
Melting Slicks

Received 292 Likes on 235 Posts

MarkCamp. I too own a 88 35th. I have had the radio rebuilt, in 99, and have rebuilt the Bose amps twice, the last being in 03. They need replacing again. I intend to replace the radio and speakers that are not Bose. You have to access the door speakers, which is not easy for new speaker wiring. Most audio shops that sell new radios can make the conversion for you. Sorry, throw the Bose away. Go the route of a CD or Ipod but keep all the old equipment (in a box). You might need it for resale.
Old 04-21-2012, 10:55 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Thanks Had2Hav2, I do believe that is the route I will be taking not sinking money into the old system. From what I have been reading lots of problems with them.
Old 04-21-2012, 11:10 PM
martymcfly
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Default my bose is shot too..

I am thinking about doing this. Mostly because I am cheap. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aofga-jT-OU
Old 04-22-2012, 10:49 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by HAD2HAV2
MarkCamp. I too own a 88 35th. I have had the radio rebuilt, in 99, and have rebuilt the Bose amps twice, the last being in 03. They need replacing again. I intend to replace the radio and speakers that are not Bose. You have to access the door speakers, which is not easy for new speaker wiring. Most audio shops that sell new radios can make the conversion for you. Sorry, throw the Bose away. Go the route of a CD or Ipod but keep all the old equipment (in a box). You might need it for resale.
When I picked my car up, all the "Blowes" crap was burned out. The radio had an internal draw that kept killing the battery, so I ripped all that "Blowes" junk out and went modern. But.......My car isn't a 35th, if it was I think I'd keep it original. Restoring that Bose stuff is kinda costly and problematic, but if your car is a mint original car, you might want to keep it stock or save the stuff in a box like I did.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:35 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

well had2have2, tape did not respond at all so next week new system goes in before the good cruising weather gets here. Picked up a new Sony today with bluetooth and cd and ipod/mp3 along with a nice speaker box that fits in the back perfectly. Will leave factory speakers where they are for future consideration.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:45 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by MarkCamp
well had2have2, tape did not respond at all so next week new system goes in before the good cruising weather gets here. Picked up a new Sony today with bluetooth and cd and ipod/mp3 along with a nice speaker box that fits in the back perfectly. Will leave factory speakers where they are for future consideration.
I did my own sound system and helped a couple of people here do thier's as well, if you need any help just ask. The hardest part is getting those "Blowes" boxes out of the doors and how I did mine wasn't pretty but it worked out very well and my system sounds great.
Old 04-22-2012, 05:52 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

well caddy I am going to leave the original speakers where they are and just use the speaker box in the rear of the vehicle. Been along time since I played with auto radios so think I will get someone else to hook it up. Already checked and the one place only charges 35 to installe it so not really worth the swearing and skinned knuckles to do it myself.
TRhanks for the help and offer thou.
Old 04-22-2012, 06:25 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

well caddy I am going to leave the original speakers where they are and just use the speaker box in the rear of the vehicle. Been along time since I played with auto radios so think I will get someone else to hook it up. Already checked and the one place only charges 35 to installe it so not really worth the swearing and skinned knuckles to do it myself.
TRhanks for the help and offer thou.
$35?? I bet it's gonna be a little more than that, with having to run seperate wires and the radio install. Let us know how that turns out and good luck.
Old 04-26-2012, 08:14 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Well turns out I got brave and installed myself, did not have to run new wires just spliced into old wires and dash kit. So total cost of installation was 22.00 plus the deck. Everything works great looks good and no cuts and bruises.
Old 04-27-2012, 10:11 AM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Well turns out I got brave and installed myself, did not have to run new wires just spliced into old wires and dash kit. So total cost of installation was 22.00 plus the deck. Everything works great looks good and no cuts and bruises.
I have a great nugget of advice for you that I really wish I did before I rushed to finish my system. You can actually mount new speakers in those Bose front boxes and bypass those amps, I'm thinking that new modern speakers in those boxes would sound good, but I don't know because I removed the boxes and replaced them with Dyno-mat. If I had it to do over again, I'd try re-using those boxes to see how it sounds. All you have to do is use the + and - wires off the amp to the new speaker, the other two wires power the amp and aren't needed.
Old 04-27-2012, 12:25 PM
pmihaltian
Slingshot
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

These guys do a great job on rebuilding and refurbishing OEM Corvette stereo equipment. Check them out.
Attached Images  
Old 04-27-2012, 12:32 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Originally Posted by caddyboy84
I have a great nugget of advice for you that I really wish I did before I rushed to finish my system. You can actually mount new speakers in those Bose front boxes and bypass those amps, I'm thinking that new modern speakers in those boxes would sound good, but I don't know because I removed the boxes and replaced them with Dyno-mat. If I had it to do over again, I'd try re-using those boxes to see how it sounds. All you have to do is use the + and - wires off the amp to the new speaker, the other two wires power the amp and aren't needed.
Thanks Caddy will look at that when the warmer weather gets here for now thou just going to be the speakers in the rear box working, are they 4x6 round speakers in front doors?
Old 04-27-2012, 12:34 PM
MarkCamp
Instructor

Originally Posted by pmihaltian
These guys do a great job on rebuilding and refurbishing OEM Corvette stereo equipment. Check them out.
Thanks will check them out if I decide to go back to original equipment, no plans on selling vehicle as my 14 year old has already put dibbs in on it and told me I can not sell it till he at least gets to drive it. So I guess I am good for a few years yet without any damage, lol
Old 04-27-2012, 12:51 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Thanks Caddy will look at that when the warmer weather gets here for now thou just going to be the speakers in the rear box working, are they 4x6 round speakers in front doors?
I don't remember, I just knew that getting those dam wires out were gonna be a pain so I the box,but looking back, I wish I didnt. If your Bose speaker is still good, just bypass the amp and work that whole Bose door box from the after market radio's amp, I think the Bose speaker might be a 6-ohm unit as opposed to a modern radio's 8-ohm output, but some of today's radios have a 6 and 4-ohm option. The speaker will still work and will probably sound great but ohms should be matched and lower ohm systems are more "high end" and sound better. The only draw back might be blowing the Bose speaker after a while, but "what the hell" it's worth a shot and you can just use that Bose cabinet for whatever kind of speaker you want, even a 6" woofer.

Last edited by caddyboy84; 04-27-2012 at 12:53 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To 1988 35th radio

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 1988 35th radio