C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Now she runs! (top end rebuild)

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-2002, 06:39 AM
ToniH
Drifting

Received 51 Likes on 35 Posts

Default Top end rebuild finished here too

Hi,

I have followed Scorps and Marchos similar projects with interest and here is my own top end rebuild account.

After a month of waiting for parts (some have still not arrived and maybe never will) we finally got my car bolted back together and sorted all the bugs out and now the engine runs very nicely. It pulls strong and idles beautifully. i am so happy. :D

Here is my story:
About a month ago I blew a head gasket. Before that i had some idle quality problems, the idle was lumpy and I suspected my injectors. I planned to clean the TB and change the injectors this summer but the head gasket blow out speedied my plans.

During one day we dismantled the top end with my friend. We found out that the gasket had blown allready earlier but there was no sign of machine shop work on the heads, so basicly they were not milled to make sure they are straight!!! I suspect it was a quick repair before selling the car. :mad :mad

I took the heads to a machine shop with good reputation and they compression tested them for cracks, milled them straight, machined seats and sleeved the guides. The valves were also checked and machined.

At the same time I ordered some stuff from Summit, ZIP and some other places internationally and locally. I received the Summit and local orders quickly but injectors are still on route and AFR arrived yesterday.

I bought locally new valve springs, Fel Pro top end gasket kit and loads of other minor O-ring seals, gaskets, exhaust manifold flange bolts etc. From US i received Crane gold 1.6 RR's, Iceberg alternator upgrade, billet AFR etc.

While waiting for the parts I cleaned TB, IAC, plenum, runners, base plate, AC and alternator brackets and valve covers. Then I painted them black with urethane heat paint which was oven cured for long lasting surface. Much cleaner look now.

Then I also mildly ported the plenum and machined the stock valve covers for RR clearance.

When i realized the FMS injectors I ordered might never arrive I decided to get the original injectors rebuilt by Bosch Service Center. The report says 4 were leaking and several had spray volume and pattern problems. After the service there is no leakers and the injectors are now within 1-2% of each other. Bit expensive here but i got them back in 1 day so i was happy to make progress ($200 for rebuild, new GM injectors $180 each).

We had loads of trouble removing the old ex. manifold flange bolts which were badly corroded. in the end we needed to drill one of them off. this caused additional problem as I could not find 6 of original style 10mmx1.5mmx70mm bolts for them. We chose to use normal bolts and as they were too long we broke 2 welds from drivers side flange :mad :conehead so, we got the header re-welded and we installed it yesterday.

When we first started the car on saturday, the car didn't idle when cold. We used autoxray and noticed that the IAC count was 160 and the car was running rich. With suggestions from forum members we checked several things. In the end we basicly had 2 options: bad IAC or stucked EGR. I didn't mess with the EGR while cleaning the manifold so guessed that the IAC broke while I was cleaning it. Bought a new one, plugged it in and the car started instantly and now it idles fine. :D

Yesterday night we did some oil changes and a test drive and the engine sounds and pulls very nicely. At this point i am starting to believe that the job was a success (knock on wood). I have not noticed any leaks or other problems yet. Today I drove it to work and I am observing everything very closely. Have to make an another oil change when the oil starts do darken and change coolant once more.

I also installed a new cat back exhaust and there is still some other parts I need to install (AFR, Iceberg, rear wheel bearing) but maybe I'll just drive the car for couple of weeks before tearing into it againg ;)

These projects are very nice when they are successfull, I had my doubts when buch of tools broke, the exhaust manifold broke, the car didn't idle etc. but now I feel very good!

I could have not done this rebuild without a very knowledgeable friend who knew what he was doing and adviced and helped me during the whole project. The advice I got from fellow Forum members also helped a lot, thanks.

Greetings from sunny Helsinki to all,

ToniH

[Modified by ToniH, 2:20 PM 5/21/2002]
Old 05-21-2002, 08:46 AM
chucks88
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Re: Top end rebuild finished here too (ToniH)

Your a very patient man. :yesnod: Good job :cheers:
Old 05-21-2002, 08:55 AM
Mr. Magoo
Team Owner

Received 94 Likes on 40 Posts
2018 C4 of Year Finalist
St. Jude Donor '03-'04-'08-'09

Congrats!!! Glad things worked out for you!! :cool: :cheers:

Your engine looks really cool black! :cool:
Old 05-21-2002, 11:09 AM
Rob90
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Re: Top end rebuild finished here too (Mr. Magoo)

:cheers:
Old 05-21-2002, 11:29 AM
Corvette0096
Race Director

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Great job!!
Old 05-21-2002, 11:57 AM
90EXPVette
Safety Car

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Awesome! Great looking engine :cheers:

Get notified of new replies

To Now she runs! (top end rebuild)

Quick Reply: Now she runs! (top end rebuild)