C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

delco or delphi iac?

Search this Thread

Old 05-12-2012, 12:34 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

Default delco or delphi iac?

Is there a difference? I'm convinced I need to change the iac in the '89. The delco is about $100 the delphi $60. Any help would be appreciated.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:25 PM
Larrye
LarryE
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 31 Likes on 13 Posts

Being a GM parts manager, I can say that, generally, the Delco is the OE part and would be considered to be of higher quality than the Delphi. Usually, Delphi parts are aftermarket parts from various suppliers in the Delphi packaging. Depending, the Delphi part may perform just as well as the OE Delco.
Old 05-12-2012, 01:35 PM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

I have used various Delphi parts including radiators and never had any problems.. Delphi was at one time a GM parts supplier.. Now , who knows.....WW
Old 05-12-2012, 01:47 PM
94z07fx3
Race Director

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm not a GM insider and don't have any special knowledge other than buying parts for my own use. From what I can tell at this point in our car's life cycles is that OEM known quality suppliers like Spicer/Dana and Delphi were at one point the product that was on the assembly line and also in the AC/Delco box but now aren't. I trust that for the most part AC/Delco will set and maintain minimum standards. But given the choice of Delphi or Delco I'd pick Delphi every time. Same goes for Spicer even though the last u-joints I installed were AC/Delco Chinese and appear to be of good quality. I'm not saying I have no faith in Delco. I do! In fact I like their ceramic pads quite a bit and they were the cheapest ones at the time. But if I can get a parts store brand with a lifetime warranty vs a Delco I'll pick the warranty as in the case of water pumps.
Old 05-12-2012, 03:51 PM
caddyboy84
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I always use A-C/Delco if possible, other parts seem to go "hay-wire" and don't last as long. Remember, "ya get what ya pay for"
Old 05-12-2012, 11:21 PM
yaknow
Le Mans Master

Received 222 Likes on 154 Posts

thanks guys, at 50% for the delco's, I may try the dephi's since they use to be a wholly owned gm company.
Old 05-12-2012, 11:36 PM
JackDidley
Race Director

Received 229 Likes on 161 Posts

Last time I got Delco relays, the box said "made in China".
Old 05-14-2012, 11:06 AM
Warren Seale
Pro

Received 48 Likes on 29 Posts

The Delphi factories today were at one time part of the GM empire. In the mid to late 90s they were spun off under the name of Delphi as an independent car parts supplier to anyone and continues to supply GM today.

The AC/Delco brand is just a name now. Their parts come from various sources including Delphi. The bad news is that it isn't easy to figure out who makes the part in the AC/Delco box.

An example of this is when I was buying an AC compressor for my 96 T/A. There were two AC/Delco part numbers for the same application. I chose one and when I got it I found out that it was made by an aftermarket compressor manufacturer (their name was on a tag on the compressor). But I wanted a Delphi compressor since this is the design that GM used at that time. I called GM and explained this to them and told them I wanted the Delphi compressor. They said they would research it an get back to me. A few hours later they said to order the other number and sure enough when I got it it said Delphi on it.

Warren

Last edited by Warren Seale; 05-14-2012 at 11:23 AM.

Get notified of new replies

To delco or delphi iac?

Quick Reply: delco or delphi iac?