C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Magna Flow or Flowmaster

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2015, 10:05 AM
LT1inaMGB
Racer

Received 30 Likes on 19 Posts

Here is an interesting comparison of name brand mufflers. Note how restrictive the Flowmasters are.

Name:  MufflerComparisionChart.jpg
Views: 14703
Size:  491.9 KB
Old 02-13-2015, 03:57 PM
1984Z51auto
Pro

Received 43 Likes on 38 Posts

I had the Flowmaster replacement muffs with a Walker Y pipe on my 1984. They were louder than stock but not obnoxious (auto and 3.07 gears) I did use exhaust pipe extensions to get the outlets about an inch behind the rear facia which also kept it cleaner. Its subjective but, for the money Flowmasters are a good deal. A nice rumble. If cost is no issue then CORSAs are real nice and all stainless steel too.
Old 02-18-2015, 05:33 PM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Received 50 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by ChasD
I should speak up and say that I like my Magnaflows. I think they sound great and are not too loud at all. My system is from Corvette Central with no cats and they do mount where they hang down and are visible from the side of the car, but that is typical as far as I can tell for all mufflers for the C4.
I think that's what I put on my 86, about 10 years ago. They sound mellow, not too loud, but you know it's a V8 coming.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:48 AM
Lloyd Smale
Le Mans Master

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

really like my magnaflows. Only drone I get is if I try to accelerate in to high of a gear. Like a roll on at 40mph in 6th or going up a steep incline in 6th
Old 02-21-2015, 10:35 AM
rocco16
Race Director

Received 176 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by GJ Camacho
A good sounding stereo will take care of any droning sound.
You might believe that, but as one who has some muffler (Hooker Aerochambers) drone I can tell you that turning up the stereo will not cure the problem.
It only makes it worse.
Old 03-01-2015, 11:43 PM
afgunn
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Keep in mind that those who typically complain about drone with Flowmasters didn't get the correct muffler. The internal design of them makes part selection very important unlike other mufflers. IT's a lot easier to buy the wrong one from a reseller/muffler shop who doesn't understand that (selling on price only) rather than getting the correct one for your application.
I think this is totally correct. When I first got my 94 LT1 (auto trans and 2.59 rear gear) the droning and noise were terrible. I took the car to the shop and guy that had done all my other work and told him I wanted it quieter. He put Flowmaster Super 44s in and it sounded about the same with droning and popping when slowing down. I went back to him and he said he could put in Flowmater series 50s. These may have been quieter, but since I had told him the first time I wanted quieter and he did not do it and now for more money he would try again!? I went to a different shop and got another opinion. I got MagnaFlow fiberglass packed mufflers and like them very much. Now Flowmaster may have a muffler just as good, but my exhaust guy scared me off!

Also, a manual trans and a different rear end gear may make a difference as well.
Old 03-16-2015, 07:02 PM
russellslocum90
Heel & Toe

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Mikepro76
I want a cat back system for my 90 vert. What are everyone's thoughts on Magna Flow or Flowmast?
Hello MikePro,

I just had Magna Flow cat back system installed # 15658 which fits 1986 to 1991 corvette C4s, Go to corvetteguys.com click on exhaust in left hand side then click on C4 symbol and see Magna flow exhaust for 1986 to 1991. Now scroll down to video of the stock verses Magna flow and then just grin. The sound is not as rough as Flow Master but it is better than stock and the 3.5: tips with give you that throaty growl.

Hope this helps.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:28 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

I couldn't find that video. Link?
Old 03-17-2015, 10:10 AM
russellslocum90
Heel & Toe

Default www.corvetteguys.com

Originally Posted by 86C4Z51
I couldn't find that video. Link?
Hello,

I just went on and it is there at the cat back site it is a rede 1990 convertible with a white top.

Steps:
1 site is www.corvetteguys.com
2 Once site up click on exhaust of left hand side.
3 Once page is up on generations click on C4 and the second system at top of page click on it and your should see the system
4 Now scoll down to a small video which is blacked out with a red arrow click and see video of stock verses Magna flow # 15658.
Old 03-17-2015, 10:51 AM
EVLGTO
Burning Brakes

Received 45 Likes on 36 Posts

The head engineer at Magnaflow is a good friend of mine. I've known him for over 10 years now. I don't know why anyone performance minded wouldn't buy Magnaflow. They are bar none one of the best flowing exhausts on the market. And they won't break the bank. Flowmaster is super restrictive.

You guys would be surprised what else Magnaflow makes, besides cat back exhausts. They also make high dollar headers and cats for a lot of different manufacturers. I won't mention what brands as I don't want anyone getting in trouble for leaked info. But they make very high quality stuff and are one of the main companies who research and design anything that has to do with exhaust systems.

I'm not trying to put a plug in to advertise Magnaflow. These are facts.
Old 03-17-2015, 12:11 PM
russellslocum90
Heel & Toe

Default Magna Flow Cat back with Y pipe # 15658

Originally Posted by EVLGTO
The head engineer at Magnaflow is a good friend of mine. I've known him for over 10 years now. I don't know why anyone performance minded wouldn't buy Magnaflow. They are bar none one of the best flowing exhausts on the market. And they won't break the bank. Flowmaster is super restrictive.

You guys would be surprised what else Magnaflow makes, besides cat back exhausts. They also make high dollar headers and cats for a lot of different manufacturers. I won't mention what brands as I don't want anyone getting in trouble for leaked info. But they make very high quality stuff and are one of the main companies who research and design anything that has to do with exhaust systems.

I'm not trying to put a plug in to advertise Magnaflow. These are facts.
Yes I agree I purchased a cat back system this winter for $ 639.99 complete with Y pipe and two Dual quad SS mufflers and could not be more pleased with the sound and looks. Magna flow really does their home work.
Old 03-17-2015, 09:12 PM
Christi@n
Drifting

Received 59 Likes on 49 Posts

I want a cat back system for my 90 vert. What are everyone's thoughts on Magna Flow or Flowmast?
I dont have anyone of them, but I will get a cat back as soon as possible,

And my choose will be for corsa, the better sound IMO, substantial deep and sharp

I have heard these from you tube video only, but can give an idea
Old 03-19-2015, 09:48 AM
86C4Z51
Burning Brakes

Originally Posted by russellslocum90
Hello,

I just went on and it is there at the cat back site it is a rede 1990 convertible with a white top.

Steps:
1 site is www.corvetteguys.com
2 Once site up click on exhaust of left hand side.
3 Once page is up on generations click on C4 and the second system at top of page click on it and your should see the system
4 Now scoll down to a small video which is blacked out with a red arrow click and see video of stock verses Magna flow # 15658.
Thanks, Russell!
Old 03-19-2015, 10:05 AM
captgarys
Intermediate

I did a Corsa also and am very happy with it.

Quick Reply: Magna Flow or Flowmaster