C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

any way a bad optispark could cause the coil not to fire?

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2012, 09:12 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default any way a bad optispark could cause the coil not to fire?

If there is a fault in the optispark can it cause the PCM not to fire the coil?

Im trying to diagnose an ignition problem and I am not getting spark from the coil.

Im assuming that since no spark is coming from the coil, its not an optispark problem.....Unless the PCM relies on some kind of signal from the optispark to fire the coil.

I just bought an expensive replacement Ignition Control Module, thinking that was the problem (I was getting a code 41), but that doesnt work either. Though the code seems to be gone (not sure if it will come back though).
Old 05-25-2012, 09:37 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Yes.

The opti starts it all. The low resolution pulse drives the PCM which then enables the PCM to produce the injector drive, ICM drive and spark timing.

You can check the injector drive with a noid light then you would know if the opti is basically working as well as the PCM.

You should also check the drive to the ICM and in that way if you know the drive (1-4 volts AC) is not there, then the problem is not the ICM or coil. If the drive is there, then the problem is with the ICM, coil or related grounds or voltage to them.

Codes are great, but it is not an end all, or full information. It points to an area and many times additional trouble shooting is required. Code 41 relates to the ICM but there is more details to it also.

A FSM would be a great help for you for troubleshooting procedures. It also tells you how things work and the flow flow of data from one area to another.
Old 05-25-2012, 01:13 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
If there is a fault in the optispark can it cause the PCM not to fire the coil?
Yes.

Though I'd recommend sticking to one thread so that you can FOLLOW A DIAGNOSTIC PROCESS and actually get somewhere. You don't have a tach reading while cranking (as per your other thread). That is very strong evidence that your opti is not providing a signal to the PCM. The tach should read during cranking; the thing cranks @ ~400 RPM.

Use a scan tool or your datalogger to confirm a crank reading while cranking.

Get notified of new replies

To any way a bad optispark could cause the coil not to fire?

Quick Reply: any way a bad optispark could cause the coil not to fire?