C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

clutch issues: what would cause fluid to go low?

Search this Thread

Old 06-23-2012, 04:57 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 560 Likes on 437 Posts

Default clutch issues: what would cause fluid to go low?

After many mods, and problems this spring... I went to finally pull the vette out of the garage for a drive.

I was surprised the clutch pedal went straight to the floor.

I looked at my clutch fluid reservoir (underneath the ECM) and it was dry...

WTF.

What would cause this to go to dry?

None of the modifications I did this winter had anything to do with the clutch/ transmission / or clutch hydraulics?

BTW. In 2004, I replaced the clutch slave cylinder and braided hydraulic fluid line...I followed the unique 'upside-down' bleeding procedures also at this time.

What do I need to do to fix?

I imagine if I add fluid, then wherever its leaking its just gonna leak out again. I havent found any kind of leak....

BTW.. this is on a 93 6spd lt1
Old 06-23-2012, 10:32 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

I just had the same thing happen. I never found the leak until the slave seal blew out I'm replacing the master and slave now. As far as I can tell it was slowly leaking from the slave into the bell housing which is why I never saw a leak.
Old 06-23-2012, 11:12 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by Jonnymac
I just had the same thing happen. I never found the leak until the slave seal blew out I'm replacing the master and slave now. As far as I can tell it was slowly leaking from the slave into the bell housing which is why I never saw a leak.
you are sure the leak is the slave cylinder?

why are you replacing the master cylinder? just for insurance?

come to think of it, I have seen a few amber drops from the front shield (flex-plate). Nothing gushing, but of course there is not a lot of fluid in there.

I always assumed it was oil from a small rear mean leak or something...

BTW. what brand parts are you using? I know a lot of the parts lately, reman's and stuff have been garbage for our cars. Just because you paid top dollar for it and it comes in an AC Delco box doesnt mean its a quality part - as Im finding.
Old 06-24-2012, 02:15 PM
Jonnymac
Melting Slicks

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '08

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
you are sure the leak is the slave cylinder?

why are you replacing the master cylinder? just for insurance?

come to think of it, I have seen a few amber drops from the front shield (flex-plate). Nothing gushing, but of course there is not a lot of fluid in there.

I always assumed it was oil from a small rear mean leak or something...

BTW. what brand parts are you using? I know a lot of the parts lately, reman's and stuff have been garbage for our cars. Just because you paid top dollar for it and it comes in an AC Delco box doesnt mean its a quality part - as Im finding.
The slave fell apart when I pulled it off as for the leak I was thinking the same thing main seal or just from the oil drain. I replaced the master and slave in 06 so I'm doing both again. The brand was what they sell at O'Reilly it's not set up for the Vette(inlet and bleed are on the bottom) but it's a heavy cast part not sheet metal.
Old 06-24-2012, 04:53 PM
ninetyfivevette
Burning Brakes

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think 2004 might fall within the range of the infamous "backwards seal" saga that caused premature failure.
Old 06-24-2012, 05:04 PM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Originally Posted by ninetyfivevette
I think 2004 might fall within the range of the infamous "backwards seal" saga that caused premature failure.
Yeah iheard about those, but the thing is it worked perfectly up until this.

The backwards seal ones never did work right from the get go.

Who knows, maybe it is.

Btw. I bought it from gmpartsdirect. I thought I was getting a quality part, but who knows. I mentioned that just bc it comes in an ac declo box doesn't mean its a quality part

Get notified of new replies

To clutch issues: what would cause fluid to go low?

Quick Reply: clutch issues: what would cause fluid to go low?