C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Chemical smell coming from AC

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 07:47 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Default Chemical smell coming from AC

Over the last week the AC coming out of my 95 has a very bad smell. It is like a chemical smell, not a dirty sock or musty smell. I have had the musty smell in another car and this is totally different smell.

The car is a 95 LT1 with the auto ac temp settings if that helps.

Any ideas or what is causing this?

Help on how to correct this issue?

Thank you
Old 07-27-2012, 09:24 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Have a shop stick an electronic leak detector in the vent to rule out a leaking Evaporator. Assuming it's ok, something has probably permeated the foam filter on the inlet side of the Evaporator - could be anything. Skunk odor can stay around for an hour or you could have a plastic bag melting on a header or your neighbor could be cranking out a pot load of meth every hour and venting it to your driveway. Countless odors can get through the fresh air inlet below the windshield, be absorbed by the filter and stick around for awhile.
Old 07-28-2012, 07:54 AM
ProjectC4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I had something like that in my minivan last year. Had a faint smell then it was low on freon. Had it charged and it still smelled. Then I realized it was an oil smell. The evaporator was bad and oil was leaking out along with freon.
Old 07-28-2012, 04:23 PM
BucfanTitan
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Well I took it to the shop this morning and the evap is bad and needs to be replaced.

Is this somthing that can be fixed on my own or do I need to spend the money of a garage to fix. Been looking in the FSM and it looks time consumming. Still trying to figure out what oil i need to collect before i take the old one out.
Old 07-29-2012, 09:46 AM
ProjectC4
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You can change it yourself. I have never done one on a Corvette but I'm sure someone else here has. As far as oil - there is oil in the compressor to lubricate the compressor - it has to be at a certain level. The oil circulates around the system with the Freon so there is some oil in each part of the system. When the system is installed new oil is put in for each component, say 6 oz for compressor, 2 is for evap, 2 oz for condensor, etc - the specs are in the FSM. So when you replace a component you must replace the oil it held also. You can either pour it out and measure it or use the estimate in the book. In your case you will also have to estimate what leaked out. If you don't put in the missing oil some of the oil currently in the compressor will replace it and the compressor will be low on oil.

I would talk to the shop, explain what I wanted to do and probably they can add the oil when you bring it back.

Get notified of new replies

To Chemical smell coming from AC

Quick Reply: Chemical smell coming from AC