C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How to reinstall A/C system?

Search this Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 06:13 AM
jdraughn
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How to reinstall A/C system?

When I originally bought my 1990 coupe, the A/C worked during the test drive, and halfway home, then it started blowing warmer and warmer. I believe the person I bought it from topped it off with the wrong coolant to make it blow cold long enough for a test drive.

Anyway, about a month after I bought my car, the engine blew (had a blown head gasket, and he had loosened the radiator cap and changed the oil to hide the fact it had a blown head gasket).

It took a couple of years to scrape together enough money to get the engine going again. When I removed the engine I accidently loosened an A/C hose and lost all the pressure in my A/C system.

So when I installed my rebuilt engine I installed the A/C compressor so my belt would fit. I left the wires on it unplugged so the clutch could not engage.

The compressor, condenser and evaporator, plus all associated hoses and tubing have been sitting in my garaged open to normal air.

What do I need to get my system going again? I need a new decadent correct? Can I just blow everything out with compressed air, reinstall everything, install a new decadent, convert it over to 134, evacuate and charge the system?

I'm afraid I need a new compressor, is it possible to test it before spending hundreds of dollars on parts and materials?
Old 08-10-2012, 08:43 AM
C409
Le Mans Master

Received 490 Likes on 334 Posts

................. Personally , I would change out the compressor and accumulator ( I bought a new AC Delco unit last year for my Suburban for $250 ) look over the hoses real good and replace any that are suspect ... replace ALL o-rings and the orifice tube ... evacuate for at least an hour after verifying that the system is leak free and recharge to spec ..... then enjoy ..........
Old 08-10-2012, 11:10 AM
T. Wayne Nelson
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JD call me, I just rebuilt mine. You will need to flush the system, I have enough flush I can give you, along with directions of how to.

One I have everything ready, I had Vince charge it......
Old 08-10-2012, 03:35 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

Did it work before you took it apart?

Compressor is the same for R134 - Nippo 10PA20C and would only be distinguished by the Manifold (more below). Start by looking on the hood above the Compressor for oil. If there, the shaft seal was leaking before you took it apart and needs to be replaced. Makes sure the compressor shaft is easy to turn by hand.

Flush lines with Brake Fluid Cleaner until fluid runs clear - it's ok to used compressed air to finish them up. Flush compressor by adding 4 ozs of oil and turning the shaft a dozen or so times in one direction, then the other. Drain and repeat and leave 4 ozs of fresh oil in it.

Condenser is impossible to flush - consider replacing it.

You could use a can of Brake Fluid Cleaner and compressed air on the Evaporator, but it's probably best to leave it.

Pull the Orifice and Check for crud - clean it or replace it.

You will need a new Accumulator and seals (o-rings) compatible with R134. Make sure you get the right stuff for the main hose at the compressor. Cars that left the Factory with R134 use a manifold that accepts sealing washers - yours should use o-rings. If you use the wrong seal, it will all leak out.

Get notified of new replies

To How to reinstall A/C system?

Quick Reply: How to reinstall A/C system?