C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

95 ZF transmission /clutch issue - need first hand advise.

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2012, 09:15 PM
corvette95
Melting Slicks

Received 97 Likes on 83 Posts

Default 95 ZF transmission /clutch issue - need first hand advise.

Hi, some of you may have been following my other posts on this subject, let me recap. I bought a 95 6speed with 81k miles on it. Clean decent car, I didnt pay rock bottom but I paid about the going rate for that year car and mileage. It was sold to me as needing a clutch, so I KNEW it was gonna need some work. I live in Alabama, car was in Mississippi. Bought the car wight unseen except for lots of pictures, sent a tow truck to get it. Brought it to the GM dealership I work for. Had the transmission guy replace the clutch and dual mass with a single mass stage one Spec kit. Well, even though I specifically told him NOT to turn the dual mass fly wheel- he did thinking he was going me a favor for free - ha gave it back to me with the original Dual mass Flywheel and a stock stage one kit made for OE dual mass. I couldnt even get it in gear and when I did, when I let out the clutch the shudder and vibration was so intense, I wouldnt leave the parking lot. He did the job for cash and I didn't want to complain since he was a friend- STEP TWO, had it towed to a transmission specialty shop where I exchanged the OE Spec clutch kit with a single mass setup and clutch kit. The transmission shop called me and said it was ready. Went to pick it up, same thing, shudder on let out of the clutch forward and reverse so severe I could not drive. Step 3 towed it home to my garage, gave up on Spec (still have a new spec stage 1 with flywheel with less than 1 mile on it with receipt if anyone wants it for cheap), ordered Carolina clutch kit with single mass flywheel and me and a friend did the job - step by step with factory manual, torqued everything to spec and order, of course new pilot bearing. Tool two weeks a little at a time......I finally got a chance to pull it out and drive it last week and WTH same shudder and vibration. I dont know WHAT it could be. The ZF unit that came in the car had been out before and was sealed with orange RTV, so I am thinking bad Transmission. So I have a new blueprinted unit coming from ZFDOC. $3400 with a few extras. But can anyone tell me if there is something to a clutch install that is not in the book or have had this experience and have over come the problem? I really need you help.
Thanks!
Corvette95 - Leeds, Alabama
Old 08-18-2012, 03:54 AM
tahoemedic
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Keep in mind your flywheel is balanced to your specific car. I had a single mass on mine and shuddered, lurched, made the car look like a teenagers first manual car. Put the original back in, problem solved. Doubt your trans is bad, these ZF's are beasts which is why the krauts were using them in trucks

Quick Reply: 95 ZF transmission /clutch issue - need first hand advise.