C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Road Racing Guys Oil systems Q&A

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 09:17 AM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Road Racing Guys Oil systems Q&A

I'd ask this on the Road racing forum, but C4 questions sometimes just.... sort of die... sad.

The Question is: " If you have a remote filter and cooler AND and Accusump.. is there any reason to keep the Pressure By pass?"

My answer is: NO. No point. Accusump oils [ 3 quarts worth if needed] at start up while pump is busy pressurizing all the plumbing.

Partner disagrees.

Thoughts and opinions
Old 08-18-2012, 01:49 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 371 Likes on 307 Posts

A thread I made about it:

http://forums.corvetteforum.com/c4-t...er-bypass.html
Old 08-19-2012, 02:17 PM
TJM
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Aardwolf
Thanks!! I appreciate the info!!

The bypass is out, system plumbed zero oil pressure when spinning the motor wo plugs... zip... EEK.....

partner says that's what the bypass does... Think not but no oil pressure is a buzz kill on the brand new motor. Can't find the bloody priming tool so the days was shot.

Last edited by TJM; 08-19-2012 at 02:20 PM.
Old 08-20-2012, 05:15 PM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It usually takes a second or two to prime the pump with a drill motor. I lube the gears heavy with assy lube and pre fill the filter. Try to minimise cranking w/ a flat tappet cam.

good luck n let us know how it goes.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:40 PM
Black89Z51
Suckin' gas, haulin' ass.
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

If your accusump is pressurized and filled prior to starting the engine, it should do a pretty decent prime. I will say, though, that with the Accusumps I've used, we always had the car running before we opened the manual valve to the Accusump, and shut the valve prior to turning off the engine.

When I primed my engine (prior to the first start) in my RR car I rand the drill a good 20 seconds to make sure everything was good and lubed. I also checked for oil pressure. My Craftsman 19.2 volt cordless was able to put out 25 psi.
Old 08-21-2012, 12:57 AM
Crepitus
Burning Brakes

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

To clarify; a second or two to get pressure. It takes a while to get cold oil through the lifters and up to the rockers. Then at full pressure turn the engine a couple revolutions to get oil through the crank to all the rods. The drill motor should take quite a load, if it dos not load up and build pressure find that pipe plug that got forgotten, been there n done that, dooh!

Last edited by Crepitus; 08-21-2012 at 01:03 AM.
Old 08-23-2012, 08:14 PM
Purple92
Melting Slicks

Received 786 Likes on 541 Posts

IMHO - The oil bypass valve needs to go - immediately if not sooner - on any track only vehicle. The purpose of the oil pressure bypass valve (the little odd shaped thing sitting just above the oil filter - is to allow oil to bypass the filter when there is too much pressure drop aross the filter. The problem is that those valves allow oil to bypass the filter when the presure drop is around 5 psi. Sorry - but that's just too low. In a stock type vehicle that may be driven by people who think that going 15,000 miles between oil changes is saving them money - I can understand it, but not on a track vehicle where oil will be changed frequently, and where a driver should know what kind of oil pressure to expect with warm oil.

Now - let's talk about the lack of oil pressure. If you installed a lot of plumbing in the oil system - it will take a fair armount of time at cranking speed to fill up the lines with oil before any pressure can be developed. Same with a new oil filter (I highly recommend prefilling all new filters.) You say you have an accusump installed - obviously it doesn't come pressurized, so initially - turn the valve on the oil supply line to the accusump off. The way to fill an accusump is slowly when the engine is running (try not to let the oil pressure drop by more than 5 psi while the accusump is filling) - if you have a ball valve on the input - this will require just cracking the valve and watching the pressure gage.

If you can't find your oil pump priming tool - if you have a large "sacrificial" screwdriver - you can just cut off the screwdriver shank and use that in a drill motor - it will be difficult to keep the screwdriver shank engaged with the oil pump driveshaft - but it can be done...

Whatever you do - DO NOT light the motor until you have verified that you have oil pressure.
Old 08-23-2012, 11:38 PM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

Originally Posted by Crepitus
To clarify; a second or two to get pressure. It takes a while to get cold oil through the lifters and up to the rockers. Then at full pressure turn the engine a couple revolutions to get oil through the crank to all the rods. The drill motor should take quite a load, if it dos not load up and build pressure find that pipe plug that got forgotten, been there n done that, dooh!
Or look under the car and clean up the 5 quarts that came out because some dufus didn't put the oil filter on before priming. Also been there, done that.

Get notified of new replies

To Road Racing Guys Oil systems Q&A

Quick Reply: Road Racing Guys Oil systems Q&A