C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

92 lt1 hard to start, but I have a clue

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 11:39 AM
482vranger
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 lt1 hard to start, but I have a clue

92 coupe,43k miles, great condition. runs good when it starts, last time I drove got a asr light. No codes are stored. Fuel pressure is 44psi and holds that withour droping for a good while, at least 20 min. I was using a test light to check for pulse on fuel injectors and may have found a clue. As i understand it, the ground is pulsed to fire injectors. So I unpluged one injector, put test light on purple wire and positive batt. terminal. When I tried to crank engine it fired up easily. when I took lead off batt. it would not start. when it was running, the purple wire to pos. batt pulsed fine. Any ideas please!
Old 08-26-2012, 11:58 AM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Received 185 Likes on 129 Posts

Originally Posted by 482vranger
92 coupe,43k miles, great condition. runs good when it starts, last time I drove got a asr light. No codes are stored. Fuel pressure is 44psi and holds that withour droping for a good while, at least 20 min. I was using a test light to check for pulse on fuel injectors and may have found a clue. As i understand it, the ground is pulsed to fire injectors. So I unpluged one injector, put test light on purple wire and positive batt. terminal. When I tried to crank engine it fired up easily. when I took lead off batt. it would not start. when it was running, the purple wire to pos. batt pulsed fine. Any ideas please!
Check the Injector fuses 1 and 2.
Old 08-26-2012, 07:57 PM
482vranger
Intermediate

two injector fuses? Ok. If fuses were blown I would not think the mtr would crank at all. It does fire up like normal every now and then and seems to run fine. I had an idea of pulling all fuses out and back in to make sure of good connection, so I will pay attention to those two. Thanks and I will post back when I try that
Old 08-26-2012, 08:44 PM
482vranger
Intermediate

Checked both fuses,both fuses good. Still wont easily crank.
Old 08-27-2012, 09:59 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

two injector fuses? Ok. If fuses were blown I would not think the mtr would crank at all. It does fire up like normal every now and then and seems to run fine. I had an idea of pulling all fuses out and back in to make sure of good connection, so I will pay attention to those two. Thanks and I will post back when I try that
Your right on the car would not start at all, I read into posts too much and forget the start of it.

So you ran your test light from the purple wire (ECM fuel injector control) to battery positive?
Every time the ECM commanded ground the test light lit up right?

From your description it makes it sound like you don't have power to the injectors. However, you where testing for ground (ECM control not power). I'm kinda confused.

The ECM controls the injectors via ground, the injectors should have power at all times. Ground side should pulse.

You could have a bad injector, ohm test (digital multi-meter) all of them they should be around 12 or so.
Old 08-28-2012, 09:18 AM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

What purple wire did you test? The injectors all have a 2-wire connector, with pink/black & dark blue wires on the left bank and pink/black & dark green on the right bank.

The asr light would not figure into a no-start condition. Is the car now not starting at all, or is the problem intermittent?
Old 08-28-2012, 07:50 PM
93Rubie
Safety Car

Originally Posted by sailorsteve
What purple wire did you test? The injectors all have a 2-wire connector, with pink/black & dark blue wires on the left bank and pink/black & dark green on the right bank.

The asr light would not figure into a no-start condition. Is the car now not starting at all, or is the problem intermittent?

This is the part that is confusing me, I doubt for the SAME fuel injection system they would change the wire colors year to year from 92 to 93. My 93 is as above. No purple wires run the injectors. Maybe you've mistaken the dark blue for purple?
Old 08-29-2012, 10:00 PM
482vranger
Intermediate

I called them purple,but maybe they are blue. Whatever color they are they were not pink, so to my thinking they they should have pulsed my light to batt. pos. I appears to have been a none issue anyway, tried it again and it made no difference. The car just seems to start correctly sometimes and not others. I am going to install a pot in place of the key resistor next to see if it is my vats system. I am hopefull this is it,because when fires up and immediatly dies I have to wait about 5 mins. before it will even try to fire up. I will post results from my next adventure, thanks
Old 08-30-2012, 10:12 AM
482vranger
Intermediate

Well, still no good. Jumped out the VATS resistore with a pot set to my pellets resistance. It cranked ok for a few times, then I waited a few mins. , then it fired up for a sec. and went dead. I wired up the vats again just like it was. Back to the drawing board I guess.
Old 08-30-2012, 11:54 AM
482vranger
Intermediate

NEWS FLASH----Haynes manuals near worthless. I just ordered factory manuals off ebay. It will take a couple of days. Two hours after reinstalling vats, went out and started car, it ran fine. At least it idled fine in the garage, as of now I am scared to drive it. Started four times and it cranked up ok. On the fifth time, started fine but gave a service asr light, then would not crank after I shut it off and tried again. This is how problem started, hard to get cranked and then the asr came on.
Old 08-30-2012, 01:14 PM
482vranger
Intermediate

Alright here goes. Looked at codes, none stores when I jumped A and B. I just learned how to jump a and g to get codes off the speedo. Here is what I saw. 1-h41,h74 4-none 9-h72 After reading all sorts of post on the net, I am going out to check every ground I can find. I have already pulled the ecm out and looked it over and its connectors for any signs on discolored wires or connectors.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:26 PM
sailorsteve
Drifting
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The FSM has a long chapter on dealing with CCM codes, the ones you got on the speedo. There is too much detail to try and give you a guide on how to proceed, but it looks like you are on the right track. When you get your manual, look at chapter 8D.
Old 08-30-2012, 04:46 PM
482vranger
Intermediate

Will do,should get it next week.

Get notified of new replies

To 92 lt1 hard to start, but I have a clue

Quick Reply: 92 lt1 hard to start, but I have a clue