C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

intermittent MAF problems

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2012, 08:24 AM
blakngold4life
Pro

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Default intermittent MAF problems

A couple weeks ago my car was having a problem where it would cut out after driving it for just a few minutes and coming to a stop, at the time it was pulling various MAF codes. All relays have been replaced recently so I decided to switch the MAF unit out with a spare I had on the shelf and everything seemed to run fine for a while. On the way back from Carlisle (after a flawless 600 mile trip) I pulled off at an exit and the car stalled out and would not hold a low idle. I managed to coax it to a gas station to check it out, no codes. I unplugged the MAF and the car started right up and idled fine and drove it another hour home with it unplugged, not 100% but it ran pretty good. I plugged the MAF back in when I got home and it still would not hold idle and showed no codes. Waited about 10 minutes and tried again, everything was fine. any Ideas?
Old 08-28-2012, 01:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

The MAF power and burnoff relays are different on '86 Corvettes. It's possible that you have them swapped. It's easy to get the connectors on the wrong relays because they both have the same shape.

They should be like this:

10094701 -- MAF power -- 5 wires
10067925 -- MAF burnoff -- 4 wires
Old 08-29-2012, 01:15 AM
1986coupe
Burning Brakes

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You may have an electrical problem somewhere else. When I had a problem on my 1986 I noticed that the problem when away when the MAF was disconnected. Check other areas and not just the MAF.

Get notified of new replies

To intermittent MAF problems

Quick Reply: intermittent MAF problems