C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Heated oxygen sensor-long

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2012, 05:51 PM
weaselbeak
Racer

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Default Heated oxygen sensor-long

Hello all. After installing the longtube headers on my car I noticed that I was staying in open loop while driving. It would go closed loop briefly but then would go back to open loop and finally throw a O2 sensor fault.

I decided that I would need to use a heated O2 sensor since the longtubes put it pretty far back (by the collector on the drivers side). I went to the tech tips section on this site and used the procedure here: https://www.corvetteforum.com/techti...D=93&TopicID=2

This was a pretty helpful tech tip and I'm greatful for it. The issue that I had was that I couldn't find any of the parts stores around here that had a matching plug to mate up to the three pronged plug of the new O2 sensor. What i did was goto walmart and get a trailer extension plug. It basically has two different plugs that can plug into each other with a length of wiring in between to extend them. They are four prong plugs and I only needed three so I cut one wire off. I used the very outer wire for the O2 sensor and the two remaining wires for the +12V and ground.

I followed the tech tips advice and cut the connector off the old O2 sensor and reused that plug so i didn't have to cut the plug coming from the car. That way if I wish to return to the old one wire O2 sensor I can simply plug it in.

I also made the wires plenty long so that I could get the trailer plug as far away from the headers as possible because I don't think it would handle the heat well.

Here's the completed heated O2 sensor with the heat sleeve over it.

Here's a close up of the plug I used

Here's the two side by side. You'll notice the plug cut from the old O2 sensor that will plug into the one wire coming from the car. The two others are ready to be routed for the batt and ground.

All in all I thought this a pretty easy upgrade that cost me around $50 and now I have a heated O2 sensor. Datamaster has confirmed that so far everything is working as it should so I'm a happy camper.
The following users liked this post:
ijakie1 (05-26-2023)
Old 09-21-2012, 12:20 AM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Great pictures and even a better solution!

I am sure someone will benefit from your work.

Thanks for sharing!
The following users liked this post:
ijakie1 (05-26-2023)
Old 05-26-2023, 10:24 PM
ijakie1
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been needing to do this asap. The link about this says "page not found". What gives? I would like the 3- wire o2 sensor part number or company. HELP!! Best.
Old 05-27-2023, 01:32 AM
stew86MCSS396
Pro

Received 101 Likes on 89 Posts

Originally Posted by ijakie1
I've been needing to do this asap. The link about this says "page not found". What gives? I would like the 3- wire o2 sensor part number or company. HELP!! Best.
Try the sticky^^^navigate through the archives^^^
Old 05-27-2023, 06:33 PM
Sabre34

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 768 Likes on 705 Posts
St. Jude Donor '06-'07-'08-'09-'10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-‘18-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23-'24

Originally Posted by stew86MCSS396
Try the sticky^^^navigate through the archives^^^
Thread closed.

Get notified of new replies

To Heated oxygen sensor-long

Quick Reply: Heated oxygen sensor-long