C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

LT1 oil filter adapter leak

Search this Thread

Old 10-03-2012, 11:16 PM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

Default LT1 oil filter adapter leak

Long story short, the oil filter adapter is kicking my a$$.

Been chasing a small oil leak at the rear of the engine. Replaced the intake manifold gaskets and used "the right stuff". Also replaced the valve cover gaskets. Everything is dry at the top of the block. Oil sensors are all intact and not leaking a drip. This leads me back to the oil filter adapter. About a week ago I had a horrible mess on the garage floor, oil was dripping off the oil filter and coated everything. Replaced the adapter gaskets with a Fel Pro set from Advanced and it seemed to cure it. Until recently I have been getting a small trail going down the driver side of the inspection cover and then dripping onto the floor. Got underneath the car, and sure enough, it is coming from the oil filter adapter again! This will be the 4th time I have replaced it. Each time I remove the paper gasket from the block and clean thoroughly. Also make sure the oil filter adapter is clean as well, then I hit both surfaces with acetone before reinstalling. Not sure if the adapter surface itself is warped or what, but the same leak keeps reoccurring. Looks like the adapter bolts both have small oil drips coming off of them as well, not sure if thread sealant would prevent this or not.

Going to try and have a go at it again this weekend, any helpful hints? Any good replacements for the oil filter adapter? Not sure what else to do. Even thought about coating the o-ring with permatex's "the right stuff" to try and make a stronger seal. I have been using Vaseline on the outer o-ring as mentioned in here. I also use purolator pure one oil filters if that is any factor.

PCV valve is working properly and is an AC/Delco unit made in USA. No hoses are kinked and the ventilation is working properly so no excessive crankcase pressure.

This is really frustrating, the motor is almost completely sealed up, will be the first time it has ever been leak free, except for this darn oil filter adapter.

Any help from you LT1 guru's is greatly appreciated!!
Old 03-26-2017, 07:47 PM
skidball
Instructor

Received 25 Likes on 7 Posts

Hello,
Take it for what it's worth ? I just saw a clip on the velocity channel this weekend . They recommended using a gasket from the dealership. That's my two cent.
Old 03-26-2017, 09:43 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 167 Likes on 148 Posts

Original post is five (5) years old.

Using a thicker gasket will solve the issue as will checking the length of the bolts that hold the adapter in place. Many have found that the bolts bottom out, therefore they are not tightening the adapter against the gasket.
Old 03-27-2017, 07:02 AM
TorchTarga94
Melting Slicks

Received 191 Likes on 158 Posts

I ended up using the thicker gasket in the Fel-Pro set. Haven't had a leak there in 5 years.

Now, as for the front timing cover seals...

Get notified of new replies

To LT1 oil filter adapter leak

Quick Reply: LT1 oil filter adapter leak