C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Accel DFI Gen 6, upgrade to .....?

Search this Thread

Old 10-13-2012, 02:07 PM
ROME
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Accel DFI Gen 6, upgrade to .....?

I have an older Gen 6 system currently installed in my car that I've only ever fooled with about twice in the ten years I've owned my car (it was installed when I purchased by the original owner).

Has anyone ever transitioned away from the Accel DFI system to something else, and if so, how difficult was it? My initial plan was to upgrade to the Accel DFI Gen 7 system to take advantage of the much improved Windows based interface, but due to some of the negative feedback I've read on this forum about DFI Gen 7 factory support, I'm considering shopping for a more user-friendly option.

So, if you had Accel DFI Gen 6 on your car and were in the market for an upgrade, would you simply step up to Accel Gen 7 or is there a better, easier interface system out there that I should consider?
Old 10-14-2012, 09:33 AM
LT401Vette
Burning Brakes

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

There are a lot systems out there now that have evolved far beyond what you have now, especially in the software and user interface.

My preference is MegaSquirt products for support, the tuning software and price.
While MegaSquirt started out as a DIY build it yourself setup and they still have those, the products have matured dramatically over the years. Even more dramatic is the improvements to firmware features and tuning software.
Tuning Software - Excellent UI with nice custom dashboards and auto tuning that works great:
A very good log viewing program that has been getting adopted by dozens of other groups:
Also Android dashboard and data logging applications

Support - A very active forum at msextra.com that get answers usually within minutes. Feature requests also get very fast response.

Selecting what one will work best for you, and what you want to do. You could use a simple MicroSquirt. It will support a V8 running batch or bank mode with distributor and single coil, plus be able to run an NOS system or boost controller, etc. This is based on a MegaSquirt 2 and uses MS2 firmware, so supports most of what a full MS2 does, but has more limited IO, so you can only run so many additional features.
But you are only talking $339 with a harness :
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...ess-p-131.html

If you have big plans, like full sequential, coil on plug, launch control, multi stage progressive Nitrous control, boost control, on board SD data logging etc.. I go with an MS3 with MS3x.
http://www.diyautotune.com/catalog/m...led-p-435.html

I have been using MegaSquirt stuff for quite a while now, since it was still just DIY stuff. It is sort of cool to have watched it evolve into so much.

Quick Reply: Accel DFI Gen 6, upgrade to .....?