C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Innovate MTX-L Wideband Used as Narrowband Replacement Gives DTC P1133/P1153

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2012, 05:01 PM
jpurban
Intermediate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Innovate MTX-L Wideband Used as Narrowband Replacement Gives DTC P1133/P1153

Hi,

Long post, but this is a complex issue and I've found very little on the subject after hours of searching...

I have a 96 LT-4 Vette with a modified powertrain (e.g. 383, ported heads/intake, etc.). I'm in the process of fine tuning the VE and Spark tables. So, I removed my factory narrowband O2 sensors from my headers and installed a couple Innovate MTX-L wideband sensors in their place.

PCM appears to be receiving the simulated signal properly -- verified via datalogging with ScanXL, PCM voltage varies between 100 and 900 mv on each side. MTX-L "brown" analog2 wires are splice connected to the purple & purple/white wires, the "high" side PCM circuit for the pre-cat sensors on each side. "Low" side of PCM circuit, tan and tan/white wires for the pre-cat sensors, are grounded to the chassis near the battery to complete the circuit (MTX-L doesn't have an analog ground like the 7 wire LC-1).

I have set the Analog2 voltage to correlate with the following AFR:
14.3 = 900mv
14.7 = 450mv
15.0 = 100mv

I'm continuing to set DTCs P1133 and P1153 -- Insufficient switching. I've seen these codes almost every time I retuned with the factory sensors, the tune isn't quite perfect and the LTFTs haven't had a chance to adjust. However, I'm now setting these codes more often.

I understand wideband sensors are not "switching" sensors, like narrowband, but I've read others on the forum have founds settings that work for simulating narrowband in a way acceptable to the PCM.

The car operates incredibly well in closed loop with the simulated narrowband signal -- probably because the signal is calibrated and more accurate. So, I don't want to go back to the factory sensors.

Any advice for making the PCM happier with this signal? Or do I stop worrying about making the PCM happy and disable these codes (e.g. no error reporting)? If I disable the DTCs, will that keep the car from entering "open loop" and force the PCM to continue using the signal in closed loop?

Thanks for the help.
Old 10-21-2012, 10:22 PM
jpurban
Intermediate

Update...

I seem to be having better luck with a tighter, more extreme AFR vs. voltage curve. The tighter the curve, the longer between setting codes. Have yet to set a code with the following settings:
14.58 = 900mv
14.70 = 450mv
14.80 = 100mv

The steeper slope seems to induce more "artificial" switching as the PCM chases 14.7 with different fuel trims.

Last edited by jpurban; 10-21-2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old 06-16-2016, 03:00 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Hey jpurban, thanks for posting this. I've been throwing P1133 occasionally on my C5 with a wideband in one bank, and simulated narrowband output from the MTX-L fed into the computer for that bank. The car runs great in closed loop, but I can see on my logger that the simulated narrowband output doesn't switch as fast as a real narrowband sensor. I'm waiting for a USB->RS232 adapter to show up so I can program these settings into the MTX-L. Hopefully that will make the PCM happy by increasing the number of transitions it sees.
Old 06-17-2016, 01:47 AM
jpurban
Intermediate

Congratulations on incorporating wideband -- It really is a critical component to proper tuning.

The switching DTCs are purely emissions related and can be disabled without adversely impacting the closed loop control. This is the method I eventually used to solve the problem permanently.

I used tuning software to disable the switching checks. Once disabled, the PCM would continue to operate normally without regard to switching frequency (limp mode avoided).

C5 is a little different from C4, but I assume the same approach would work.
Old 06-17-2016, 03:05 PM
TastyBacon
Pro

Received 80 Likes on 62 Posts

Thanks, I can just disable the P1133 DTC too. I'm not too worried about it, since the car runs very well in closed-loop as-is. Do you think it's still worth tightening the AFR vs. voltage thresholds, just so that the MTX-L output looks a little more like a real narrowband to the computer? Not sure if it would help, hurt, or make any difference at all.

Get notified of new replies

To Innovate MTX-L Wideband Used as Narrowband Replacement Gives DTC P1133/P1153

Quick Reply: Innovate MTX-L Wideband Used as Narrowband Replacement Gives DTC P1133/P1153