C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

to whoever installed HID headlights

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 11:42 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default to whoever installed HID headlights

hi guys, i installed HID lights on my 91 vette, and because our cars are h4 bulbs with low beam and hi beam in the same bulb, the kit came with a relay that takes only one head light conector to make it work i used the driverside headlight conector for that and left the passenger side conector unused, from the HID relay there is a cable goes to the passenger side ballast to power it, everything is working fine and i'm happy as far as the improvment of the headlight and the look, but there is one problem:

on low beam when i turn the fog lights ( which still stock) on it turns on the hi beam bulb in the dash only!!! and the blue light on the dash goes away when i turn off the fog lights, with fog lights on and the blue light on the dash on too, i turn the hi beam on and off and the headlights oprates normally and they switch between low beam and hi beam normally too, so the only problem is the little blue light on the dash when ever i turn on the fog lights!!!
i tried to put one of the original halogen lights on the passenger side and the problem, goes away and everything works fine, i thought maybe i should use the passenger side conector then for the hid relay, i did and the problem is still there, i tried to dissconect both conectors from the headlights and blue light is back again when fog light is on!!!

did this happened to anyone else and its normal? is there away to fix that?
Old 10-25-2012, 12:01 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Hi Ricky

I have converted my 85 to HID 55w hi/lo's
There is an issue if you use the original headlight harness neutral causing backfeed (had my HID refusing to turn off at times)
I connected both the HID neutral wires to the frame and that fixed the problem.

You have the relay getting power from the battery (not the lights power)? it did say in my instruction manual to connect battery to the ballast. The low and high beam signal input can coonect to the factory corvette H4 plugs.

I have had them on my vette for around 6 to 8 months and they are just awsome

Have you seen the kits for converting the fog lights to HID yet

Last edited by gerardvg; 10-25-2012 at 12:03 AM.
Old 10-25-2012, 03:28 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Hi Ricky

Below is the link to the fog light HID conversion, thought you might like this.

http://www.corvettehid.com/cart/inde...8b7c4ec1e13f93
Old 10-25-2012, 06:46 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by gerardvg
Hi Ricky

I have converted my 85 to HID 55w hi/lo's
There is an issue if you use the original headlight harness neutral causing backfeed (had my HID refusing to turn off at times)
I connected both the HID neutral wires to the frame and that fixed the problem.

You have the relay getting power from the battery (not the lights power)? it did say in my instruction manual to connect battery to the ballast. The low and high beam signal input can coonect to the factory corvette H4 plugs.

I have had them on my vette for around 6 to 8 months and they are just awsome

Have you seen the kits for converting the fog lights to HID yet
Oh hi Gerard !! How you doing buddy, if I would know that U have done the conversion too I would e mail you right away to ask you about that!!

Yes the relay gets its power from the battery and the ground from the frame, it has also a connector similar to the original halogen light clips so u conect the harness connecter to it so it get its hi or low signal , now I started thinking that the relay is not making enough resistance to the system and its making the system thinks that my both headlight connectors are dissconected and that's why is giving me the blue lamp at the dash when I turn the fog lights on , now what do u mean with connect the neutral to the ground ? How will that help since it will not generate any resistance ???
Old 10-25-2012, 06:57 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Hi Ricky

Below is the link to the fog light HID conversion, thought you might like this.

http://www.corvettehid.com/cart/inde...8b7c4ec1e13f93
Oh yah these looks really nice and plug and play, but I just got mine today from eBay for $30 shipped and I will install them tomorrow and see how it will go, ( ofcource they are not as good as these in the link though) but I would love first to solve the issue of the high beam lamp in the dash whenever fog lights are on !!!
Old 10-25-2012, 06:58 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Hi
Don't use the ground wire from the original h4 connector, I found it gives a back feed which you may be experiencing.
Connect the black ground wire to the frame not the ground in the h4 plug /harness that your hi lo reference is connected to.
I think it may have something to do with the corvette headlight relay box, it caused my lights to stay on at times , have not had any issues since .
Old 10-26-2012, 05:50 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Hi
Don't use the ground wire from the original h4 connector, I found it gives a back feed which you may be experiencing.
Connect the black ground wire to the frame not the ground in the h4 plug /harness that your hi lo reference is connected to.
I think it may have something to do with the corvette headlight relay box, it caused my lights to stay on at times , have not had any issues since .
thanks mate, i'll try that tomrrow and i'll let you know, by the way the hid fog lights worked fine, they kind of look blue but my foglight outer glass is very bad too and serious cleanup
Old 10-26-2012, 09:05 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Yeah the HID lights come in different colors 4300k white, 6000k diamond white and the 8000 k are the blue color ones.

Hope your high beam light problem is fixed by putting the ground wires to the frame, rather than using the headlight plug harness ground.

The 91-96 fog/indicator lights they cop a lot of stone chips, i put some clear static cling over the fog light lenses to protect them.
You could buy them new some years ago but now they are like rare as rocking horse shitt, or made from unobtanium nowadays.

Last edited by gerardvg; 10-26-2012 at 09:08 PM.
Old 10-27-2012, 12:46 AM
Phat98
Burning Brakes

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Your fog lamps are grounded through the high beam circuit - this prevents the lamps and high beams from being on simultaneously, the "backfeed" gerardvg mentioned. It's designed that way, and that's what's causing your high beam lamp on the IP to come on. If you do a search on here there is is a diagram for rewiring the high-beam relay to ground to prevent this issue. I'm not home now or I'd check my FSM and tell you exactly where to look.

Not that difficult, and keeps your wiring clean instead of wires running around under the hood.
Old 10-27-2012, 01:58 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

This is why I went with Hello Euro headlamps and 80/100 Xenon bulbs instead of HID's. Everything works the way its supposed to and I have great lighting too.
Old 10-27-2012, 04:54 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Hi guys thanks for the help, Gerard I tried today to ground the relay instead of using the ground from the orig harness, and the problem was still there .... My headlights and foglights function normally, it's just the blue lamp on the dash what freaks me out !!
Old 10-27-2012, 04:57 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Originally Posted by Phat98
Your fog lamps are grounded through the high beam circuit - this prevents the lamps and high beams from being on simultaneously, the "backfeed" gerardvg mentioned. It's designed that way, and that's what's causing your high beam lamp on the IP to come on. If you do a search on here there is is a diagram for rewiring the high-beam relay to ground to prevent this issue. I'm not home now or I'd check my FSM and tell you exactly where to look.

Not that difficult, and keeps your wiring clean instead of wires running around under the hood.
I did some search but I couldn't find it , If you could pls help me out and show me how to re wire that relay and where it's located it would be great , I really appreciate it
Old 10-27-2012, 12:32 PM
Midnight 85
Le Mans Master

Received 53 Likes on 31 Posts
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified

Originally Posted by mcm95403
This is why I went with Hello Euro headlamps and 80/100 Xenon bulbs instead of HID's. Everything works the way its supposed to and I have great lighting too.
Hella's for me too with 80/100 bulbs. Put 'em in, plug & play. I can't imagine any other LEGAL headlight to be any better.
Old 10-28-2012, 04:56 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

I'm not sorry for the hid lights, I love the look plus they are really bright , and that's only 35 w, imagin if they would be 55 watt!!! , I'm thinking now if I would get the relay that feeds the ballasts its power from the conector instead of the battery , maybe that would creat enough resistance to turn off the blue lamp ......
Old 10-29-2012, 07:23 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Hopefully this bump will get the attention of a 1991 wiring diagram

I went from 100w low beam 140w high beam to the HID 55w hi/lo lights are just in another league super white bright light.
The only problem i had with the install was using the ground wire from the original headlight loom, that caused a back feed that would prevent the lights turning off at times till i used the frame as ground.
They have performed flawlessly for the last 8 months

The ballasts were connected to the battery, the relay wiring was connected to the original light harness for the hi/lo beam input.

Hopefully you will have it figured out soon Ricky

#@%^ mobile phone pic's ..

Last edited by gerardvg; 10-29-2012 at 07:29 AM.
Old 10-30-2012, 04:16 AM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Thanks Gerard buddy , today I tried to give the relay power from the low beam but it didn't solve the problem, I end up connecting one of the original halogen lights to the passenger side connector and dumped there by the collant reservoir and the horn facing down ! which solved the problem , but till I put my hand on that diagram to fix the problem from its root
Old 10-30-2012, 06:56 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Hi Ricky
I think you may need to install one or two relays fed from the original headlight plugs one for low beam to relay coil and or one from the high beam to the relay coil. Then the hid lights supply from the battery thru the relay contacts to the hid lights low beam to low and or high beam to high,that should isolate any back feed from the hid lights, that way the relay coil will replace the original light globe.

Am currently on holidays in Cairns far North Queensland ,
Don't have access to my HID lights wiring instructions that came with the kit. I do know my hid lights had the headlight signal from the original wire harness go to a relay interface that came with the hid kit .

Hope that helps

Get notified of new replies

To to whoever installed HID headlights

Old 10-30-2012, 01:36 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Hi Gerard , thank you my friend , but it's not about any feedback from the hid, that's how the car is designed, the blue lamp at the IP turns on when i have the fog lights on when the system has no enough resistance , I tried to unplug the hid kit from the factory conector and its the same thing exactly , while having one of the connectors only connected to original headlamp solves the problem!! My after market head lamps has really nice LED in them , so I tried to wire the led to the unused passenger side conector Hoping that would solve the problem, but it looks like its not creating enough resistance and the problem is still there!!! So i re wired the led to the side marker, it looks really nice by the way
Old 10-30-2012, 06:35 PM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Ricky I think you will need to measure the original h4 globe normal and high beam lamp resistance with a multimeter ,then fit the matching resistor on the original plug to the ground in the plug .or connect a relay from say low beam signal or high beam signal plug ,with resistor to the relay and relay ground to the plug ground so the resistor and relay are in series then connect the hid thru the relay contacts. That should fix your problem as obviously the relay for the hid light interface does not have the required resistance. So in short fit resistors on the factory h4 plug to simulate the lights resistance for high and low beam. Or in line to the hid interface relay.
Hope that helps
Old 10-31-2012, 12:31 PM
Ricky 91 vette
Racer

Ricky I think you will need to measure the original h4 globe normal and high beam lamp resistance with a multimeter ,then fit the matching resistor on the original plug to the ground in the plug .or connect a relay from say low beam signal or high beam signal plug ,with resistor to the relay and relay ground to the plug ground so the resistor and relay are in series then connect the hid thru the relay contacts. That should fix your problem as obviously the relay for the hid light interface does not have the required resistance. So in short fit resistors on the factory h4 plug to simulate the lights resistance for high and low beam. Or in line to the hid interface relay.
Hope that helps
Thanks mate, I like the idea of the resistor to the original h4 connector!! I think I'll try that tomorrow !!

Quick Reply: to whoever installed HID headlights