C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1996 c4 5.7 oil leak

Search this Thread

Old 11-02-2012, 07:03 PM
Paul the Brit
Cruising

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 c4 5.7 oil leak

I have an annoying oil leak. My mechanic has changes Oil Sump Gasket, Oil pressure sender, etc.
But the leak seems to be coming from the 'rear' Right Hand Side of the Engine. It leaks down onto the 'engine/transmission' lower 'protection cover', and we can't see where it's coming from.
Any ideas would be extremely helpful.

Thank you

Paul
Old 11-02-2012, 07:30 PM
THE 383 admiral
Melting Slicks

Received 199 Likes on 183 Posts

check the valve cover gasket.. I would look at the extension & sensors... I had 2 leaks
my sensor & my extension coupler. start your car. have someone on the gas and really look
with good lighting. hopefully not the rear intake seal.

Last edited by THE 383 admiral; 11-04-2012 at 10:17 AM.
Old 11-02-2012, 07:51 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Intake manifold gasket may be leaking down that side of block?
Old 11-02-2012, 08:09 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by grandspt

They all do including my '96 Impala SS, a friend's '96 Impala SS and a '96 vette that I looked at about a year ago.
Old 11-06-2012, 05:43 PM
Paul the Brit
Cruising

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by THE 383 admiral
check the valve cover gasket.. I would look at the extension & sensors... I had 2 leaks
my sensor & my extension coupler. start your car. have someone on the gas and really look
with good lighting. hopefully not the rear intake seal.
Actually, I changed everything else....can you tell me where the 'rear intake seal' is located? And, is it difficult to get to? I 'heard' that they were sealed with 'silicone' from the factory. Don't know if that is the case or not.

Paul
Old 11-06-2012, 05:45 PM
Paul the Brit
Cruising

Default I'm new to this stuff, lol

Ref; my oil leak....I'm wondering, how can 'oil' leak from the Intake Manifold Gasket? Is there 'oil' in that area? As I said, I'm new to all this, lol.
Old 11-06-2012, 06:26 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

The oil leak from the intake manifold runs down the back or front of the engine. You are correct that the factory uses RTV (oxygen safe) silicone.
But it tends to leak for whatever reason, I am not sure why.
I know after the intake manifold is off that you have to clean the front and rear of the block (valley lip if you will) thoroughly.
Then apply a thick bead of approved silicone (O2 sensor safe)to that area up to the edges of the intake port gaskets which are on each side of the cylinder head.
After you bolt everything back together with a torque wrench, let the RTV dry overnight before you attempt to start the engine.
You want the RTV to dry completely. If you don't let it dry you will have a leak again! (Ask me how I know, not with my Vette but my old Z28).
Hope this helps
Old 11-06-2012, 07:09 PM
96GS#007
Tech Contributor

Received 1,739 Likes on 1,047 Posts

The oil leak from the intake manifold runs down the back or front of the engine. You are correct that the factory uses RTV (oxygen safe) silicone.
I know after the intake manifold is off that you have to clean the front and rear of the block (valley lip if you will) thoroughly.
Then apply a thick bead of approved silicone (O2 sensor safe)to that area up to the edges of the intake port gaskets which are on each side of the cylinder head.
After you bolt everything back together with a torque wrench, let the RTV dry overnight before you attempt to start the engine.
You want the RTV to dry completely. If you don't let it dry you will have a leak again! (Ask me how I know, not with my Vette but my old Z28).
Hope this helps
I would make one change...rather than using RTV, if you can buy a sealer called "The Right Stuff" made by Permatex, use that. It seals much better than RTV and it's much more durable.

You can see the black sealer "The Right Stuff" in these pics...

3 years and several thousand high rpm miles on road courses and dry as a bone.

Last edited by 96GS#007; 11-06-2012 at 07:26 PM.
Old 11-06-2012, 08:02 PM
Paul the Brit
Cruising

Default Most appreciated

Hope this helps
Thank you so much, for your help..... Paul
Old 11-06-2012, 08:03 PM
Paul the Brit
Cruising

Default Thank you

Originally Posted by 96GS#007
I would make one change...rather than using RTV, if you can buy a sealer called "The Right Stuff" made by Permatex, use that. It seals much better than RTV and it's much more durable.

You can see the black sealer "The Right Stuff" in these pics...

3 years and several thousand high rpm miles on road courses and dry as a bone.
You gentlemen, are the best..... thank you

Get notified of new replies

To 1996 c4 5.7 oil leak

Quick Reply: 1996 c4 5.7 oil leak