C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

why 2" headers for LSx, but not SBC/ LTx... ?

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-2012, 09:48 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

It sucks to accept but I cant call zenith. And tell them my 1995 Big Screen doesn't meet the standard of the new LG LED TV. Than say build a market for it.

I miss that TV. All 300 lbs of it.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:52 AM
fc_soldier
Melting Slicks
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Like you said and others.... You can have it built. Gotta pay to play. Having a 700rwhp vette I think a custom header could be arranged. Id like to see the bends in that header cause that stuff is tightttttt.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:33 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

Originally Posted by fc_soldier
It sucks to accept but I cant call zenith. And tell them my 1995 Big Screen doesn't meet the standard of the new LG LED TV. Than say build a market for it.

I miss that TV. All 300 lbs of it.
On the flipside, the apollo moon rocket (of the 60's) was a better space ship than the space shuttle.
Old 11-30-2012, 10:34 AM
dizwiz24
Race Director

Received 559 Likes on 436 Posts

An appropriate finale to this discussion would be to note that GM chose to name the new C7 corvette motor the 'LT1' vs. continuing on with the 'LSx' series.

So they must have realized some 'strengths' to the design and brought it back. (at least in name).

http://www.corvetteblogger.com/2012/...vive-lt1-name/
Old 12-01-2012, 02:40 AM
The Highlander
Drifting

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Steve85
Can you get two 2" pipes in the space allowed for the "center" cylinder exhaust ports on a standard SBC/LT head? (3-5 and 2-4)

I had a set of headers built for 18° heads with spread port exhaust and 1 7/8 was still tight. Probably why a lot mfrs go with a 1 3/4 step to 1 7/8 for a standard SBC head.
This is the main reason...
Old 12-10-2013, 06:25 PM
theseal
Drifting

Received 52 Likes on 27 Posts

c4 is actually suffering only from a couple of problems... no good intakes, no good headers, and floppy frame.

other than that I prefer c4 over ANY other vette.

today you can get AFR stock location 23 degree heads that flow 350 cfm - like ported LS7 heads... so 700 pump gas motors are possible. the gen 1 design is not as 'optimized' as the LS, but experience trumps modernity and the small block chevy can be built to be just about as powerful and reliable as an LSX now that heads like that are available.

so, where to get 2" primary c4 headers again?

and intakes?
Old 12-10-2013, 09:21 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

I have a set of 2" primary 23* sbc headers being made at Stahl Headers right now. They are the Stahl spreadport flange. Cost was $1685.00 shipped.
Will
Old 12-11-2013, 10:20 AM
SurfnSun
Team Owner

Received 522 Likes on 342 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by dizwiz24

I think if you put the effort into c4's you'd be surprised. Again I cite Callaway's example from the 80's. that was with 'old' technology.
Citing a one-off $400k car that was built in the 80s as rationale for your position isn't really that good.

The Sledgehammer didn't "easily" do 254mph, it was a long intense build that wasn't done in a couple of weeks or even a couple of months. Google the value of $400k in 1988 vs today's money...depending on the calculator you use its between $677k and $1.2m

Additionally, C4 owners don't spend much money comparative to C6 owners and now a dwindling group of C5 modding owners. The cars just aren't worth the investment. It takes a stroker gen1/2 sbc to make as much peak power as a head-cam LSx.

I love C4's as much as anyone here, but the only real money Id spend on a C4 would be a Callaway twin turbo Areobody or a ZR-1. Not b/c they are world beating fast, but just b.c they are cool and that's what I happen to like. If going ultra fast was my end goal, Id move to a C5Z and start modding.

Last edited by SurfnSun; 12-11-2013 at 10:22 AM.
Old 12-11-2013, 10:32 AM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by rklessdriver
I have a set of 2" primary 23* sbc headers being made at Stahl Headers right now. They are the Stahl spreadport flange. Cost was $1685.00 shipped.
Will
hey, thanks! I may call them and see if they can do multiple sets.

i assume you have to use a flange adapter to seal the center?
Old 12-11-2013, 10:40 AM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by SurfnSun
Citing a one-off $400k car that was built in the 80s as rationale for your position isn't really that good.

The Sledgehammer didn't "easily" do 254mph, it was a long intense build that wasn't done in a couple of weeks or even a couple of months. Google the value of $400k in 1988 vs today's money...depending on the calculator you use its between $677k and $1.2m

Additionally, C4 owners don't spend much money comparative to C6 owners and now a dwindling group of C5 modding owners. The cars just aren't worth the investment. It takes a stroker gen1/2 sbc to make as much peak power as a head-cam LSx.

I love C4's as much as anyone here, but the only real money Id spend on a C4 would be a Callaway twin turbo Areobody or a ZR-1. Not b/c they are world beating fast, but just b.c they are cool and that's what I happen to like. If going ultra fast was my end goal, Id move to a C5Z and start modding.

i think the c4 is a better platform in many respects than the c5-7, and I've had many of each.

the 84-87 suspension geometry is certainly better for performance than the later platforms. the c5-7 has too much antidive/squat, mostly for pothole comfort rather than performance, and the camber and toe curves are far from ideal. There is not enough ackermann for tight turns....I have actual measurements on all that.... that is one reason for all the axle hop the later cars have.

don't get me wrong, the c5z is an outstanding handling car if you disable the electronics, but its only real advantage over the c4 is simplicity - fewer,more rigid parts.

however, to make it work right, the c4 needs a cage extending to each wheel center on the frame, so that's work. but if you do, you'll have a hell of a great handling car.

still, an early c4 with basic race stuff like carbon seats, etc., and a cage, will still weigh the same or less than a c5-7, is just as aerodynamic, and has a lot less frontal area, so yes, the c4 has at least as high a performance potential.

take your $7k c4, and spend $5k on brakes and a cage, and $20k on a motor and peripherals, and you have one hell of a car. but its still only worth $10k if you want to sell it.
Old 12-11-2013, 11:59 AM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

A C5Z will curb stomp most modded C4s including those with cages.
For one the chassis starts out 3x stiffer than the C4.
That suspension you mention is set up far better, on variable camber corners, and multi grade surfaces.

A prepped Great SHape 84 Z51 will pull a G on the skid pad... but it's rough roads cornering ability is greatly reduced.

A C5Z pulls Over A G, out of the box on the same skid pad, and handles MUCH better over rough roads, and off camber corners. Anything but a flat bottom corner, the C5Z (even C5 Z51) will wipe a C4 in the corners.

While the C4 makes you feel like a hero because of all the visceral and Raw Feedback, it's also incredibly demanding to drive at the limits. The same limits that a C5 feels like it's barely breaking a sweat over.

A C5, might have the same drag coefficient (actually it has a better one) but it also produces much more down force than a C4.

Let alone the pony potential. Enough can't be said about the power of the LSX as a platform to build on. Getting away from the LS1 and LS6.. let's just talk the L92 for a second. This is an all aluminum engine (woo!) it makes 403 horse out of a Escalade. It has a mechanical fan. It's also detuned compared to the 6.2 out of say a Camaro or GTO. It makes 403 ponies on Truck Manifolds, Truck Exhaust and a Mechanical fan.

It takes Work to get an LTX to even touch 400 ponies in the first place... best part? for around 3500 you can get your hands on an L92, that comes with ECM wiring, accessories the works.

The LSX gives Tons of Power for Cheap compared to roiding up a Gen 1 engine. And the LTX was never that popular as a hot rod swap engine in the first place because of the expense versus power gained compared to even a Gen 1 engine. The LSX's electronic side of things is also light years beyond the LTX while being WAY easier to work with for tuners.

I'd go LSX myself for the C4. But I have a Gen 3 Camaro, there's ALOT less splicing of wires together involved to make everything to work on a Gen 3 F body with an LSX swap. Plus in my case the TPI intake just looks bad ***.

Don't get me wrong, in the Bang for Buck sense of the word, the C4 is one of the best hot rods out there. You get one hell of a good car for the money spent with a C4. And for it's day, in Handling at least there wasn't really anything on the road in the 80s that could touch it. (90s is a different story all together) but time has marched forward. As it should.

Last edited by Aaron Keating; 12-11-2013 at 12:02 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 12:09 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
A C5Z will curb stomp most modded C4s including those with cages.
For one the chassis starts out 3x stiffer than the C4.
That suspension you mention is set up far better, on variable camber corners, and multi grade surfaces.

A prepped Great SHape 84 Z51 will pull a G on the skid pad... but it's rough roads cornering ability is greatly reduced.

A C5Z pulls Over A G, out of the box on the same skid pad, and handles MUCH better over rough roads, and off camber corners. Anything but a flat bottom corner, the C5Z (even C5 Z51) will wipe a C4 in the corners.

While the C4 makes you feel like a hero because of all the visceral and Raw Feedback, it's also incredibly demanding to drive at the limits. The same limits that a C5 feels like it's barely breaking a sweat over.

A C5, might have the same drag coefficient (actually it has a better one) but it also produces much more down force than a C4.
as i mentioned the c4 needs a cage, but if you have one, disagree on the rough road and frankly all handling issues, and I've won SCCA nationals in both.

the c4 puts down power WAY better than the later cars. rough or smooth. early c4 (88 and later are not as good) has better camber curves and ackermann as well.

if i build my car, we'll all have a chance to see for sure!
Old 12-11-2013, 12:21 PM
Aaron Keating
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
as i mentioned the c4 needs a cage, but if you have one, disagree on the rough road and frankly all handling issues, and I've won SCCA nationals in both.

the c4 puts down power WAY better than the later cars. rough or smooth. early c4 (88 and later are not as good) has better camber curves and ackermann as well.

if i build my car, we'll all have a chance to see for sure!
I can pretty safely say, a 240 horse engine in a C5Z would probably never even break traction without cutting the wheel good and hard.

C4 not so much.

There's a reason the C5 is feared on track day. (the C6 even more so. and the C6 is just a revised C5. Better Engine, brakes, and in the later years the mag shocks... which are god sends)
Old 12-11-2013, 01:47 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

10.33 @139 1.65 85 A4 3.31 SloRvette 398ci 4000 stall, Canfield heads, 242/254 sr cam, Hooker 2151 headers, dual 3" exhaust, XFI, StealthRam, .024" jets in dry fogger, SRA Performance trans 4L60e full manual, Pro Torque 4500 stall non lockup
That's the guy that built mine.

He can hook you up with whatever you want.

BlowerWorks also supports the Ltx and L98 platforms
Old 12-11-2013, 01:48 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by Aaron Keating
I can pretty safely say, a 240 horse engine in a C5Z would probably never even break traction without cutting the wheel good and hard.

C4 not so much.

There's a reason the C5 is feared on track day. (the C6 even more so. and the C6 is just a revised C5. Better Engine, brakes, and in the later years the mag shocks... which are god sends)
well, i wasnt talking about a stock engine....

given equal power, the c4 will put it down better than a later car, and in tight turns, given equal tires, will generate more front end grip. it is inherent in the design. Don't get me wrong, the later cars are great too, and better 'out of the box', but the c4 is way under appreciated.

as an example, we used to kill people all day long with about a 330 hp c4, as it would cut 1.6 60 foots all day long with 275/17 r compounds on it, every time, anywhere, and it would basically roast anybody's c6z out to the 1/8 mile mark. i don't know too many c6z's that would do that unless set up specifically to drag race.

Last edited by theseal; 12-11-2013 at 01:52 PM.
Old 12-11-2013, 01:50 PM
theseal
Drifting

Originally Posted by BrianCunningham
That's the guy that built mine.

He can hook you up with whatever you want.

BlowerWorks also supports the Ltx and L98 platforms
awesome! question though, what will it run off the gas?

I'm really looking for nearly 140 mph 1/4 speeds on pump gas, all motor....car in the 2850 lb range... tall order but certainly doable.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
rklessdriver
Safety Car

Received 397 Likes on 261 Posts

Originally Posted by theseal
hey, thanks! I may call them and see if they can do multiple sets.

i assume you have to use a flange adapter to seal the center?
Yes the Stahl flange requires an adapter.... not a big deal as every 23* SBC drag racing engines with big headers runs them.

The new Stahl Headers come with the adapters.
Will

Get notified of new replies

To why 2" headers for LSx, but not SBC/ LTx... ?

Old 12-11-2013, 02:45 PM
BrianCunningham
Team Owner

Received 238 Likes on 166 Posts

He's had it down in the 10's w/o spray.

He works over at theBowTieShop.com

Give him a call and see what he has to say.
Old 12-11-2013, 02:53 PM
Sleazy Rider
Le Mans Master

Received 488 Likes on 371 Posts

Originally Posted by dizwiz24
An appropriate finale to this discussion would be to note that GM chose to name the new C7 corvette motor the 'LT1' vs. continuing on with the 'LSx' series.
and the lt1 was a redesignating of the lt-1 from 1970-1972, a solid lifter high performance high revving engine.
Old 12-11-2013, 05:16 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

As much as I love my LT1 you just can't compare our horsepower output potential to an LS engine. Go to the C5 or C6 FI sections and you will see a few completely stock long blocks putting out 700 rwhp and many putting out 600+. Are there any LTx's at any stage of modification on this forum putting out that kind of HP?

Quick Reply: why 2" headers for LSx, but not SBC/ LTx... ?