C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

PKE Module Testing

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2017, 02:00 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Default PKE Module Testing

1996 Coupe Auto.
Is there anyway to test the PKE module without disassembling the entire interior.....................
PKE has been being hinky....... LIght coming on and staying on even after key is turned off. Then light not coming on with key on........ will not enter programming mode.......... driving the other night hatch opened while driving down road...... gear selector switch does work......
I pulled the fuse for the time being......
cannot get PKE to enter diagnostic mode by grounding terminals 8 & 5.....
Old 11-28-2017, 03:09 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Originally Posted by Komiller118
Is there anyway to test the PKE module without disassembling the entire interior.....................
No - (And I assume the light you are talking about is the PKE light).
Unfortunate it's impossible to make any measurements unless you pull the unit and remove the top dash pad. (And you NEED an FSM and lots of time.)

The light is strictly controlled by the micro-processor in the PKE and if the light is going on and off at random sure sounds like the module is bad. I would say with you symptoms sound to be self induced by the PKE itself and other inputs to it would have no effect in regard to the problem you describe. And if it won't go into selftest or program, that is a sure sign the PKE module is defective. The PKE does control the hatch solenoid with the relay in the PKE.

The PKE is a computer and self contained system within itself. There are very few inputs to it to make it function. The door locks, key lock and a few other inputs allow it to go into operational mode. It communicates with the CCM mainly. If it won't operate, there are a few inputs to check but it is a project however this is not the case.

Having automotive experience and being an electrical engineer I spent a lot of time on mine as it did not work when I got the car. After days and hours spent I finally got a replacement and all worked normal after that. (My PKE light never lit)

With all the PKE problems over the years I have seen on the Forum, wherever there is an actual defective part it is 99% the module. Unfortunately replacement is the best diagnostic tool most of the time and considering the symptoms.

Last edited by pcolt94; 11-28-2017 at 03:11 PM.
The following 3 users liked this post by pcolt94:
don hall (11-28-2017), Komiller118 (11-28-2017), Sportdoc (07-25-2023)
Old 11-28-2017, 05:00 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Thanks pcolt94. I will start searching for a good PKE unit so I dont have to be down for a long while or tear it down twice, once to test and then replace. I do have a FSM. It appears that along with center console trim, hvac/radio trim, the instrument cluster has to be removed. Am I seeing that right?
Old 11-28-2017, 05:04 PM
Komiller118
Racer

Double post

Last edited by Komiller118; 11-28-2017 at 05:06 PM.
Old 11-28-2017, 08:10 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Originally Posted by Komiller118
It appears that along with center console trim, hvac/radio trim, the instrument cluster has to be removed. Am I seeing that right?
Yes - I believe though the clear bezel needs to be removed also. There is lots of things that need to be removed on both sides of the pad as well as the knee panel on the passenger side. A/C vents come out easy and most all is easy but labor intensive. Read the FSM and keep track of the screws and label their position.

There's probably going to be a plug to remove the passenger air bag. So before you start to remove the pad, disconnect the car battery first. They say 10 minutes is enough time but I like 30 minutes to be safe.

Once the pad is off you will see the PKE just right of center few inches low. The chimes module is on top of the PKE held on with Velcro. The PKE unit snaps into a clip holder. The electrical connectors have locks on them, just pull the pin. Then release the main connector lock and pull out the connector.

The car is over 20 years old so be real careful of the plastic because it can be real brittle especially if it has been in the heat. Get some 5 minute epoxy and be ready to do some repairs

Hint - It is a very tight fit so what I did to gain some additional room was to remove the 7mm screw (hard to see) that holds the center vent to the dash board. Then you get some flex and you can pull the dash toward you to get the items. It's a real pain in the butt.

Good tools helps a lot. 1/4" metric socket set, 7mm used everywhere. Star drivers are used also.

Last edited by pcolt94; 11-29-2017 at 10:43 AM. Reason: Information correction
Old 11-29-2017, 09:50 AM
Komiller118
Racer

could someone point me in the right direction about what late model years use the same PKE module.........? mine is a 1996 coupe A/T
Old 11-29-2017, 10:32 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

93 - 96 are all the same. Make sure you know what one looks like especially on EBay cause I have seen PKE module advertised but it's another module. (To the best of my knowledge).

The model number is GM0202R but the part numbers seem to vary. When I bought mine I did not know and just grabbed the first one that I could get. Worked fine.
Old 11-29-2017, 10:40 AM
Komiller118
Racer

is this it

Old 11-29-2017, 10:43 AM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Yes, you got it.
Old 07-22-2018, 07:21 PM
SHADOW1959
Navigator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Pke testing

got an estate flip 93 40th convertable. came with no fob. electric locks will set alarm and it works turns off with ign key. has vats bypass. installed new pioneer tires wheels ac system all ready to hit the road. but i have no fob. i want to buy on on amazon new. but i dont know how to make sure the pke is working before i order one or 2 in. not cheap we know. and will it work and or program with a vats bypass installed. chime works or sort of pathetic. just took the entire interior and most of dash apart to install new stereo and repair digital dash . not wanting to do it again if i can help it. any advice
Old 07-22-2018, 07:50 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

Received 732 Likes on 683 Posts

PKE has limited and not so great diagnostics. You need a fsm and to check for codes. I would go that route first before taking dash out. Radio swaps are good for tying into the wrong wires.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:40 PM
SHADOW1959
Navigator

Default Pke

Originally Posted by Kevova
PKE has limited and not so great diagnostics. You need a fsm and to check for codes. I would go that route first before taking dash out. Radio swaps are good for tying into the wrong wires.
so pretty much the only way to know if it works is to buy a key fob and try to program it.
Old 07-22-2018, 09:30 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

PKE has 6 codes, I think, and a chart for each. Atleast you don't need a scanner. PKE wasn't shared so you need a FSM to reduce guessing with money. The car can take up to 3 so a new one isn't a total waste. I with the fobs were 25.00 not over 150.
Old 07-22-2018, 10:17 PM
SHADOW1959
Navigator

PKE has 6 codes, I think, and a chart for each. Atleast you don't need a scanner. PKE wasn't shared so you need a FSM to reduce guessing with money. The car can take up to 3 so a new one isn't a total waste. I with the fobs were 25.00 not over 150.
i know the alarm and locks work and ign key turns it off. i just dont know if it works or not. the owner died his sons flipped the car and put the vatts in to get it to run. i build electroncis mind you but im still unsure its a good idea to put an aftermarket unit in her. that leaves get the fob and try to program in. no warning lights on so i have no idea it works or does not. they put the vatts bypass in for a reason probably the ign as the keys were recut and tested. so if the pke needs the vat to work im sol
Old 07-22-2018, 10:35 PM
Kevova
Le Mans Master

VATS is only about starting car. Did car come with owners manual?
Old 07-23-2018, 10:52 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

Received 105 Likes on 90 Posts

Originally Posted by SHADOW1959
i know the alarm and locks work and ign key turns it off. i just dont know if it works or not. the owner died his sons flipped the car and put the vatts in to get it to run. i build electroncis mind you but im still unsure its a good idea to put an aftermarket unit in her. that leaves get the fob and try to program in. no warning lights on so i have no idea it works or does not. they put the vatts bypass in for a reason probably the ign as the keys were recut and tested. so if the pke needs the vat to work im sol
It's actually very easy to check the health of the PKE unit. Look in your owners manual and go through the procedure for pairing a fob to the car. If you get to the point where it is time to bring a fob in range of the car and the light is on as the book says, you can be 99% sure that the PKE receiver is working fine. If it doesn't come on you have a problem (it could be a minor problem, but don't buy a fob until you have resolved it).

If you don't have a manual you can find a free PDF version.

You should be able to find a new fob for $130 or less on eBay.

Be sure to read all of the info on how the fob works, it is unlike a regular fob.

Last edited by markKlein; 07-23-2018 at 10:57 AM.
The following users liked this post:
SHADOW1959 (07-23-2018)
Old 07-23-2018, 11:00 AM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

The car can take up to 3 so a new one isn't a total waste.
The limit is three at one time, not three over the life of the car.
Old 07-23-2018, 04:09 PM
SHADOW1959
Navigator

Originally Posted by markklein
it's actually very easy to check the health of the pke unit. Look in your owners manual and go through the procedure for pairing a fob to the car. If you get to the point where it is time to bring a fob in range of the car and the light is on as the book says, you can be 99% sure that the pke receiver is working fine. If it doesn't come on you have a problem (it could be a minor problem, but don't buy a fob until you have resolved it).

If you don't have a manual you can find a free pdf version.

You should be able to find a new fob for $130 or less on ebay.

Be sure to read all of the info on how the fob works, it is unlike a regular fob.
my first vette, i thought id get one while i had time left. No manuals 1 key. They put an optispark in it but left old wires and plugs. 60k miles. Did everything but that so far. Got one key with it. But key tested okay. Yet they put the vatts bypass in. Think ignition switch is the problem there but im good with vatts bypass if i can get the fob to work. Its got new paint which is great for here in texas but its still a driver. Thanks for the info will run the pke set up and see what it does.
I have new service manuals wating on good deal on ebay for the 40th owners set. They want to much money so far. But no rush.
Old 07-23-2018, 06:51 PM
markKlein
Melting Slicks

https://justgivemethedamnmanual.com/chevrolet-corvette-owners-manuals/
The following users liked this post:
SHADOW1959 (07-23-2018)

Get notified of new replies

To PKE Module Testing

Quick Reply: PKE Module Testing