C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Rough running '96 LT1 and code 336

Search this Thread

Old 12-23-2012, 09:25 PM
Mark's Ruby
Racer

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Rough running '96 LT1 and code 336

96 LT1 with 140k miles. Replaced the water pump and opti last summer, and all was well, but was leaking some oil from the front of the engine. So, pulled the water pump, balancer and opti, replaced the timing cover oil seals for the water pump drive and opti drive and put it all back together. It starts and runs, but runs rough and won't idle, throws a code 336, CPS circuit, no other codes. Verified that I had the plug wires in the right place, and all ok there. Did some searching and there were some posts that stated that if the cps is unplugged, it should run fine. Tried that, no change. The opti seated with the dowel in the right place. The CPS sensor was covered in oil grime and I cleaned the entire timing cover including the connector with brake cleaner, but didn't disconnect it. I'll pick up a new CPS sensor tomorrow, but wanted to see what you all thought first. If I screwed up the opti in some way when I put it back together, would it throw a code other than the 336? Any ideas?
Many thanks in advance!
Mark
Old 12-25-2012, 06:31 PM
Mark's Ruby
Racer

OK, got it running right again. Pulled off the pump, balancer and opti, and I think I had the opti misaligned. I played with it for awhile, and it is quite possible for the dowel pin on the cam to go into one of the other slots on the opti and slide nearly perfectly into place. Got it lined up correctly, replaced the crankshaft position sensor because it appeared to be leaking, and put it all back together again. Fired up immediately and ran perfectly. I feel like a moron for mis-aligning the opti, but I sure won't do that again.
Old 12-28-2012, 07:02 AM
69Vett
Safety Car

Received 254 Likes on 230 Posts
Corvette of the Year Winner 2017
2016 C3 of Year Finalist

thanks for the feedback, for future readers.
Old 12-28-2012, 05:05 PM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by Mark's Ruby
Fired up immediately and ran perfectly. I feel like a moron for mis-aligning the opti, but I sure won't do that again.
I always say "you learn by doing". Glad its running again, and thanks for the update, no matter how embarrassing. h
Old 12-28-2012, 05:26 PM
TorchRedlt4man
Drifting

Location: Chicago Executive Airport, formerly known as Palwaukee
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
No-IL Events Coordinator
St. Jude Donor '12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17

Thanks for the head's up!

Sorry you had to do the job twice.

Just curious as to what brand opti you installed last year?
Old 12-29-2012, 08:46 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

Another note from "lessons learned" (the hard way); the wires leading to the CPS should be led outside of, away from the high voltage spark plug wires (and not directly through the middle of the plug wires).
Old 01-05-2013, 04:53 PM
Mark's Ruby
Racer

Sorry for the delay....the Optispark was a Richport, I bought it from Advance Auto. I was afraid that I had damaged it by indexing it incorrectly, but all seems well, it runs perfectly.

Get notified of new replies

To Rough running '96 LT1 and code 336

Quick Reply: Rough running '96 LT1 and code 336