C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

How To Repair your Range, Miles, etc, button assy

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-2012, 04:54 PM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default How To Repair your Range, Miles, etc, button assy

I had problems with this button assy. I couldn’t reset my oil change light, and some of the buttons ceased to function, or I had to press really hard to get them to work. I couldn’t find anything on getting this assembly fixed or replaced, especially not for cheap. I couldn’t find any repair instructions on this site or on any other….. So after figuring out how to repair it myself, I thought I'd post a "How To" in case anybody else wanted to do the same without spending a mint. I hope this hasn’t been put online someplace cuz this took a while to do.
The problem child

“If” I have to explain how to remove this assy out of the dash, you prolly shouldn’t be trying this repair yourself. Once you have this taken out, turn it over and pull it apart and get to the circuit board.

Careful with the connectors, I found mine had a pin bent over by somebody that wasn’t paying attention. This electrical connector was a little bit of a pain to reconnect. The pins wanted to push out of the plastic connector. Also note the missing light bulbs, apparently somebody decided it was easier to remove a trouble light than to fix the problem.

Back of the assy

Cover removed, the PCB or "Circuit board" is held down by some plastic clips around the perimeter.

Check out the six little buttons, they call ‘em TACT switches, these are your targets.

Turn the board over and check out the solder points, It doesn’t look factory because it isn’t. When I took this pic I had already replaced the switches. You can order the switches on Amazon or from many electronics stores. They have 4 pins, and the simple function of the switch is to connect one side of the circuit to the other. The switch installation is dummy proof. There is no way to install them wrong. The distance between the posts makes it so you can’t screw this up. (REALLY….. if it fits in the holes without much force, you have it installed right), If you are not familiar with desoldering and soldering on circuit boards, Check it out on You Tube, it isn’t that hard with a little practice. Take apart any electronic trash, and practice. Buy some desoldering wick, flux, a $10 soldering iron, rosin core solder, and you’re ready to go. Put some flux on the switch’s prongs and then tin them with some solder. Clean the PCB “circuit board” after you remove the old switches and add some flux to the solder connection points. Push the new switch all the way down and solder them back in.

If you have never used this before, look up on U Tube.

These are the new switches, about $5 with shipping for 10ea on Amazon. Here is a link to the switches I bought on Amazon.
http://www.amazon.com/6x6x5mm-TACT-S...=5336118839-20
If the link doesn't work or is outdated, then do a search for "6x6x5mm TACT switch" and you should be able to find them. The 5mm measurement is how tall it is. The switches are pretty common so this repair could be done on other items that use this style of switch as well. Just measure the bad switch’s Length, Width, and Height in Millimeters and find the same size replacement switch online or at an electronics store.

Be careful with the photo sensor wires, they break easy like this one did. If it does, fix it the same way you do the switches.

A flux pen is a big help here and on the switch holes. Remember to clean off the flux residue from the board with alcohol or a specialty cleaner after your repair. It's an acid and will eventually damage the components if not removed.

After you solder in your new switches you can test them out with a Voltmeter/Ohm meter

That’s all there is to it! You just saved yourself around $200

Corrections/additions to improve this write-up were made with help from our awesome members comments you will see below.

Last edited by Spharticus; 01-04-2013 at 04:57 PM. Reason: Corrections, updates, spelling, grammar
The following 2 users liked this post by Spharticus:
C4ProjectCar (01-27-2020), xrav22 (02-16-2019)
Old 12-26-2012, 05:32 PM
Red Dwarf
Melting Slicks

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

That's a great write up. Thank you.
Old 12-26-2012, 06:51 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 491 Likes on 392 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

Very nice write up. Thanks for posting this.

It was especially helpful to have the source of the switches listed.

Last edited by ghlkal; 12-26-2012 at 07:13 PM.
Old 12-26-2012, 07:09 PM
Joe C
Race Director

Received 700 Likes on 589 Posts

great info & write-up -
Old 12-26-2012, 07:45 PM
ghoastrider1
Le Mans Master

Received 265 Likes on 240 Posts

that was an excellent write up..very well done. heck, I even understood it.Thanks.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:20 PM
grandspt
Drifting

Received 244 Likes on 191 Posts

Good right up!
I just want to add a point about using the Flux Pen. After soldering with the flux pen please clean the PCB with Flux Off or isopropyl alcohol.
The flux pens can leave a corrosive residue if you don't clean it off!
I am in the electronics industry and we do use flux pens but always follow it up by a cleaning.
Old 12-26-2012, 09:39 PM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by grandspt
Good right up!
I just want to add a point about using the Flux Pen. After soldering with the flux pen please clean the PCB with Flux Off or isopropyl alcohol.
The flux pens can leave a corrosive residue if you don't clean it off!
I am in the electronics industry and we do use flux pens but always follow it up by a cleaning.
Crap forgot to add that. I used a Q-tip with denatured alcohol to clean up the residue. Thanks for the correction/addition. I'm no pro at soldering on PCB’s. This was only my second time trying something like this. A good magnifying glass and a bright light was a big help as well.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:27 PM
pcolt94
Le Mans Master

Received 197 Likes on 172 Posts

Thanks for the information. Just the part number is worth is worth it's weight in gold.

Sometimes lamps are left out depending on some options the car may have. I believe I have some lamps not installed but have not had it out in 7+ years.
Old 12-26-2012, 10:47 PM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by pcolt94
Thanks for the information. Just the part number is worth is worth it's weight in gold.

Sometimes lamps are left out depending on some options the car may have. I believe I have some lamps not installed but have not had it out in 7+ years.
Good point, what I did was hold the info center up to the light and looked through the holes to see if it was blacked out. Two of the lights needed to have something in there, the rest didn't. The ones I had missing was the "Oil level", and "ABS active" lights.

To be honest I did this whole writup after a few "cold ones".
Old 12-26-2012, 11:33 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Awesome post! Thanks for the time, pics and explanation!
Old 12-26-2012, 11:40 PM
mtwoolford
Melting Slicks

Received 194 Likes on 180 Posts

It's people like you who make this forum special. thanks
Old 01-02-2013, 09:31 PM
j-wireman
Burning Brakes

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Thank you for taking the time to photograph the steps and put this all together. Very well done.

GOOD JOB!!

They oughta make this a "sticky".

Last edited by j-wireman; 01-02-2013 at 09:55 PM.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:08 AM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Thanks guys! I updated the write-up to fix some spelling and other stuff (I blame the beer..lol.) and updated it with your awesome suggestions/tips so others will get a more complete write-up.
Old 01-03-2013, 10:40 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Why haven't the mods sticky'd this yet? This is AWESOME!
Old 01-03-2013, 09:40 PM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by mcm95403
Why haven't the mods sticky'd this yet? This is AWESOME!
Looks like the Admin's made it a sticky for now.
Old 01-04-2013, 02:03 PM
Chuck Tribolet
Burning Brakes

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Why not just use rosin-core solder?
Old 01-04-2013, 04:28 PM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by Chuck Tribolet
Why not just use rosin-core solder?
I do use rosin core solder, and you can skip using a flux pen if you use proper soldering methods. I dont use flux pens if all I'm doing is soldering some wires together. But on circuit boards (PCB's) I find using flux pens on parts beforehand makes life a lot easier for me. I guess it compensates for my lack of small parts soldering skills. HAHA. I'll link a video and you'll see how he says do not add the solder to the iron before touching the joint, because it burns off the flux and you won’t get a good solder joint. I find if you use the flux pen on parts first, the oxidation will already be cleaned off before adding the heat and solder and makes everything flow fast and easy without having to overheat the parts and I get a good solder joint the first time almost every time. If you look close at the picture of my soldering job, you’ll see some of the connections don’t look that awesome. Those are the ones I did before I remembered that I had a flux pen and started using it. But by all means use what works for you. =)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_NU2ruzyc4

And here is another video. It's 30 years old, but not much has changed.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vIT4...ture=endscreen

Last edited by Spharticus; 01-04-2013 at 05:00 PM. Reason: word correction

Get notified of new replies

To How To Repair your Range, Miles, etc, button assy

Old 01-31-2013, 09:14 AM
davewhtt
Pro

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

You did such a great job at explaining how to replace those buttons that im going to do it when i get home...and mine work just fine!! Only kidding i have enough other things to do! Dave
Old 01-31-2013, 10:00 AM
Spharticus
Heel & Toe

Originally Posted by davewhtt
You did such a great job at explaining how to replace those buttons that im going to do it when i get home...and mine work just fine!! Only kidding i have enough other things to do! Dave
Haha... No use fixing something till it's broke right? I'm currently pulling the motor and trans out of my car to do a rebuild and give it some mild upgrades. I don't trust throwing a 100+ shot of NOS on a motor and trans that has 185,000 miles on it.
Old 04-26-2013, 02:33 PM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Just did this yesterday and it fixed all my problems!

A word of caution - the traces can lift easily if the holes aren't clear and you poke the leads for the new switches through.

Quick Reply: How To Repair your Range, Miles, etc, button assy