C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Electrical light timer problem

Search this Thread

Old 12-29-2012, 07:34 PM
Kahl
7th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Electrical light timer problem

Hi - I am having a problem with the electrical system on my 1988 Convertible. I had a drain on the battery that I traced back to the interior light timer, which I replaced. The new one worked for a day or so, but soon the lights didn't work when I opened the doors, and the rear hatch no longer will work. So I thought I received a faulty replacement, so I installed another one, and it worked for a day. I am at a lose, anyone every experience this issue before? Looking at the wiring diagram I was wondering if I could have a bad ground. It seems to interfere with the chimes, (they only chime twice when the doors are open). I could sure use a little guidance / suggestions!
Old 12-30-2012, 11:55 PM
theadmiral94
Drifting

Location: 1994 LT1 Coupe 6-speed with FX3 & 2000 LS1 Vert 6-Speed with F45 Hunterdon County, NJ
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Default check door switches

Originally Posted by Kahl
Hi - I am having a problem with the electrical system on my 1988 Convertible. I had a drain on the battery that I traced back to the interior light timer, which I replaced. The new one worked for a day or so, but soon the lights didn't work when I opened the doors, and the rear hatch no longer will work. So I thought I received a faulty replacement, so I installed another one, and it worked for a day. I am at a lose, anyone every experience this issue before? Looking at the wiring diagram I was wondering if I could have a bad ground. It seems to interfere with the chimes, (they only chime twice when the doors are open). I could sure use a little guidance / suggestions!
Check your door switches.

The door switches are instrumental in telling the CCM to turn on the interior lights (but remember the ambient light sensor does sometimes override the need for the interior lights too).

Also, unless the door switch tells the CCM that the door is open, the rear hatch electrical latch WILL NOT work.

The CCM has a diagnostics mode (at least in my 94), check the FSM book 1.

alternatively, your dash may have a 'door ajar' light, which will illuminate when the key is in the ignition, turned on, and the door is opened.

The door switches do stick and also fail electrically -- lube only with vaseline, other products swell the plastic.

Also, the door switches are designed to close the circuit when the door is open (and the door switch is fully extended), however, they do fail and fail to close the circuit, which would then never tell the CCM the door is open.

p.s. door ajar switches can be replaced right through their hole without requiring door dis-assembly.

Quick Reply: Electrical light timer problem