C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

VSS Question

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2013, 10:12 PM
black-93-coupe
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default VSS Question

About to remove VSS to try and repair non functioning speedometer. Going to try to spin it with a drill to see if speedometer works. I bought a new driven gear and the new o-ring.

My question is how much tranny fluid should I expect to come out when I remove the VSS? The car will be driven up on ramps in the front.

Any other pointers anyone has will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Old 01-04-2013, 04:29 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,254 Likes on 2,017 Posts

Originally Posted by black-93-coupe
About to remove VSS to try and repair non functioning speedometer. Going to try to spin it with a drill to see if speedometer works. I bought a new driven gear and the new o-ring.

My question is how much tranny fluid should I expect to come out when I remove the VSS? The car will be driven up on ramps in the front.

Any other pointers anyone has will be much appreciated.

Thanks,
John
Do you have access to a scanner? With a Tech 1 or other quality scanner you could confirm VSS function from the ALDL. You can read MPH etc from the ALDL. Does the odometer work? Any codes?

Fluid loss typically is minimal, using ramps don't know. Nothing alarming I wouldn't think.

Good luck!
Old 01-04-2013, 11:15 AM
black-93-coupe
Instructor

Speedometer works intermittently. Usually starts working after driving for about 20 minutes or so below 1500 rpm. If I'm driving above 1500 rpm the SES light comes on, the cooling fan comes on along with it and it sets a code 23.

I have replaced pigtail going to VSS, but after reading as much as I can here on the Forum I've waited to pull the VSS until I had the new gear and new seal.
Old 01-04-2013, 06:57 PM
black-93-coupe
Instructor

Fixed! Took VSS off and spun it with a drill and the speedometer functioned properly. The old driven gear looked fine, but since I had it apart I put the new gear on and put it all back together. Speedometer worked, cruise control worked. Very happy. Glad I didn't have to take tail shaft off tranny to replace the drive gear.

Also thankful that my Friend let me use his lift because when I had it up on the ramps this morning changing the oil, I couldn't get under the car by the tranny to r/r the VSS.

Last edited by black-93-coupe; 01-04-2013 at 07:00 PM.

Get notified of new replies

To VSS Question

Quick Reply: VSS Question