C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

A/C Fan not blowing

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2002, 10:34 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default A/C Fan not blowing

I press the Auto in the climate control and put the fan on 10 and nothing comes out. Did a fuse blow, or is my fan motor dead?
Old 06-12-2002, 11:05 PM
Ray Montgomery
Instructor

Default Re: A/C Fan not blowing (VetteWave)

My fan will not blow out the front vents on 10 for the ac...when I go 9 and lower it will take a couple of minutes maybe 5 or so and will strt blowing out the front vents....but when I put it up on fan apeed 10....it will continue to blow but not thru the font vents...weird huh? I think that it has something to do with a vacumm hose.....I just hought that I would post for your problem sounds like mine....do try setting the fan speed down on lower speed and see if that works and then bump it up....it might work that way....godd luck....Ray in bama
Old 06-13-2002, 03:24 AM
Monkey Business
Instructor

I had a problem that the lower speeds worked on the A/C, but not high. It was the blower relay located underneath the blower motor, passenger side, motor compartment. Hope it helps. :yesnod:
Old 06-13-2002, 12:50 PM
vader86
Team Owner

Received 1,401 Likes on 1,017 Posts
C7 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist 2021
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019

change relays, prolly a good idea to replace the motor too, also it may be clogged up in there too.
Old 06-13-2002, 01:05 PM
BBA
Safety Car

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Had that happen a few weeks ago...turned out the wires to the AC compressor where rubbing through the insulation at the back side of the compressor and blew the AC fuse. All I did was tape over the wires and repostion them.
Old 06-13-2002, 07:45 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Default Re: A/C Fan not blowing (vader86)

change relays, prolly a good idea to replace the motor too, also it may be clogged up in there too.
How much do the relays and motor cost?
Old 06-13-2002, 08:22 PM
skills68
Drifting

mine to :cheers:
Old 06-13-2002, 08:59 PM
SunCr
Le Mans Master

Received 19 Likes on 17 Posts

There are no relays with electronic air. It has a dash or a/c controller which signals a programer to control air door position and a blower control module which is an amplifier that takes low voltage signals from the a/c controller, amplifies them and controls the speed of the blower (it also sends the on/off signal to the compressor). Check the harness to the blower motor from the module, especially at the blower motor (usually a purple - hot - and black - ground - wires. It may have shorted near it's connection to the blower motor. Also you can check the blower motor by disconnecting the harness and supplying 12 volts directly from the battery (along with a ground of course). It won't matter how you hook it up, you just want to verify that it works.
Old 06-13-2002, 10:39 PM
VetteWave
Drifting

Default Re: A/C Fan not blowing (SunCr)

There are no relays with electronic air. It has a dash or a/c controller which signals a programer to control air door position and a blower control module which is an amplifier that takes low voltage signals from the a/c controller, amplifies them and controls the speed of the blower (it also sends the on/off signal to the compressor). Check the harness to the blower motor from the module, especially at the blower motor (usually a purple - hot - and black - ground - wires. It may have shorted near it's connection to the blower motor. Also you can check the blower motor by disconnecting the harness and supplying 12 volts directly from the battery (along with a ground of course). It won't matter how you hook it up, you just want to verify that it works.
I checked the A/C fuse and it was fine. If it shorted out, I assume the fuse would have blown. I guess the fan motor is bad.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:24 AM
jaa1992
Le Mans Master

Location: Life is just one big track event. Everything before and after is prep and warm-up and cool-down laps GA
Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
St. Jude Donor '12

I checked the A/C fuse and it was fine. If it shorted out, I assume the fuse would have blown. I guess the fan motor is bad.
Check the fuse near the blower motor as well. It might be blown.

I replaced the blower motor on my 88 a couple of weeks ago. Cost was less than $50 for the motor only and re-used the existing squirrel cage. If you cage is deffective the motor + cage was like $15 more than the motor alone.
It was fairly simple to replace.

Get notified of new replies

To A/C Fan not blowing

Quick Reply: A/C Fan not blowing