C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

86 Digital Dash Pulsing with Directionals

Old 01-16-2013, 05:34 PM
96CollectorSport
Melting Slicks

Location: If you don't weigh in you don't wrestle Road America
Received 73 Likes on 54 Posts

Default 86 Digital Dash Pulsing with Directionals

Hello all,

I'm working on a 86 that came to me with a dash that was dark -LCD was inop, so we sent it out for rebuild. Upon getting it back from the rebuilder and re-installing the dash the LCD pulses when the directionals are used. It's only the LCD portion not the backlights.
It will do this both when the car is running and with just the ignition in the run possition.
Things I've tried -
Charged battery cleaned the battery posts
Checked and cleaned every ground on the car - removed dash and checked both grounds going to the dash
Replaced all directional and marker bulbs, replaced both flashers
Examined wiring going to the LCD

I have had dashes rebuilt by this company before and have never had an issue (in over 10 years and probably 15 or so rebuilds). I put a call in to him but wanted to see if there was anything else that I should look for or someone has had an issue similar to this in the past.

I've done a search and haven't seen anyone with the same issue as I have here. I've also gone to batee.com and checked out some of there fixes, but didn't see anything that discribed my issue.

Thanks,
Joel
Old 01-16-2013, 11:47 PM
VetteVet86
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The turn signal indicator lamps are a pretty heavy load relative to all of the digital stuff in the cluster. Definitely sounds like a bad connection (positive supply to cluster, cluster ground or bad solder joint on a circuit board in the cluster itself). I would measure the voltage at the positive and negative leads right at the cluster connector then actuate turn signal and see what the voltage at the connector is doing. If it's fluctuating, then the problem is upcircuit. If not, then it's internal to the cluster. If it turns out to be in the wiring, keep your negative meter lead where it was(ground feed into cluster at connector) and move positive meter lead to battery positive post. If meter reading is steady, the problem is with the positive feed. If reading is still fluctuating, you can reverse things (negative lead at battery negative post and positive lead at positive feed at cluster connector). If reading is now steady, problem is with the ground feed. This procedure will narrow things down to one of those three. From there, you would need diagrams and trace back along the affected circuit until you find the bad connection.

Jep
Old 01-17-2013, 01:50 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I've seen the dash pulsate when the alternator output was low. Does it still do it when you raise the RPMs up to 1500 or so?

Have you checked for cold solder joints on the dashboard connector?
Old 01-20-2013, 01:45 AM
hemivett
Pro

Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts

I just had the interior out of mine, and was cleaning some grounds. I came across 1 on the drivers kick panel, (I think it was kinda close to the door sill) and I disconnected it to clean it. I was looking at it thinking its so small, I wonder what it does, so I decided to turn my key on, and it did exactly what you are describing....Flashing turns, gauges flickering. So I finished cleaning, and bolted her down, (10mm I think) and turned the key again, and the gauges were all working perfectly. Maybe this will help. h
Old 01-20-2013, 10:18 PM
ghlkal
Safety Car

Received 480 Likes on 388 Posts
2023 C4 of the Year Finalist- Modified
Finalist 2020 C4 of the Year - Modified
C4 of Year Finalist (performance mods) 2019
2018 C4 of Year Finalist

See if this page helps ...

http://www.batee.com/corvette/dcrg/

Get notified of new replies

To 86 Digital Dash Pulsing with Directionals