C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic

Search this Thread

Old 01-27-2013, 03:45 PM
Blown1987
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic

Is this a good choice for better fluid? 700r4
Old 01-27-2013, 05:34 PM
Aardwolf
Race Director

Received 372 Likes on 308 Posts

It's very costly and not needed unless you're going to get the trans really hot. Through track use normal ATF didn't hold up for me, road course = 230-280° temps. Only 160° street use!
Old 01-27-2013, 05:53 PM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

I use it.
After a repair that cost me $2000 for a partial rebuild, and after reading fleet reports that proved that using syn tranny fluid all but ended failures, I switched. yeah, the cost adds up quick. Seems like it was $5-7 a qt. If you drive in extremes or hot climates I think its a MUST. I also installed a cooler to help. Trans fluid gets changed about every 2 yrs. Its about that time before summer.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:05 PM
93 ragtop
Le Mans Master

Received 96 Likes on 82 Posts

I don't know about the Valvoline fluid, I use the Mobile syn ATF. My transmission mechanic swears by the syn. fluids.
Old 01-27-2013, 06:25 PM
Blown1987
Intermediate

Thanks for the prompt advise. Just had a costly rebuild and bought an expensive torque converter so the last thing i wanna do is skip out on fluid when a couple extra bucks will help the longevity. I was debating between the Valvoline and the mobil syn but the Valvoline had gm stamped on the top and just had me sold. ( I know it sounds stupid but never bought fluid before )
Old 01-28-2013, 09:53 PM
superjet701k
Pro

Originally Posted by Blown1987
Thanks for the prompt advise. Just had a costly rebuild and bought an expensive torque converter so the last thing i wanna do is skip out on fluid when a couple extra bucks will help the longevity. I was debating between the Valvoline and the mobil syn but the Valvoline had gm stamped on the top and just had me sold. ( I know it sounds stupid but never bought fluid before )
Mobile one says GM on it also just did my 96
Old 01-29-2013, 12:02 AM
383vett
Race Director

Received 1,541 Likes on 1,042 Posts

For the track, Amsoil non slip racing fluid is the best I have come across. Last year a whole season of racing and no blowups or slippage convinced me. I'm using Amsoil in my tow suv also. It's good stuff.
Old 01-29-2013, 01:25 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

Valvoline makes several synthetic trans fluids. They are specially formulated to meet the various manufacturer's specs. The GM version is called Dexron (I think it's Dexron IV). They also make Mercon for Fords and something-or-other for Chryslers.

I was using it for a while but switched back to regular because of the cost. My car is a daily driver and never raced (any more... ;-). I'll die of old age before it would make a difference.
Old 01-29-2013, 08:06 AM
BGZQ8
Pro

Received 11 Likes on 11 Posts

It's Dexron VI.
Old 02-02-2013, 10:18 AM
C66 Racing
Premium Supporting Vendor

Received 35 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by Blown1987
Is this a good choice for better fluid? 700r4
Though GM claims the relatively new Dexron VI fluid (which is also a specification) is backwards compatible with the older Dexron III (also a spec which GM no longer licenses but many aftermarket vendors continue to make), I personally don't use Dexron VI fluids in my own cars that originally required Dexron III.

Dexron VI is a better fluid than Dexron III (now GM part 88861800) if you buy the GM brand as many portions of the Dexron VI spec require a better basestock. But if you get aftermarket fluids with good synthetics basestocks, then the differences between the two fluid spec basestock are not material and other portions of the spec are. In my opinion, one of the key differences is that Dexron VI has a lower viscosity than Dexron III. I believe this is to help GM's CAFE. I personally don't care about the few percent difference I might get in mpg with going to a lower viscosity fluid and would prefer the better protection provided by the viscosity of the original Dexron III spec.

AMSOIL makes both in good synthetic basestocks:
AMSOIL Multi-Vehicle ATF (Product Code ATFQT)(Dexron III spec)
AMSOIL Low Viscosity Universal Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATL) (Product Code ATLQT)(Dexron VI spec)

I personally use the first one for my older cars that originally required Dexron III.

More than happy to get AMSOIL products for forum members at dealer wholesale pricing, about 25% below retail, via the AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program. Drop me a PM if interested.

C66 Racing #66 NASA ST2, SCCA T2
AMSOIL Dealer (Forum Vendor)
AMSOIL Ordering Information (Retail sales using reference #1206638 benefit the forum.)
AMSOIL Preferred Customer Program (Members buy at Wholesale - a savings of about 25%)
AMSOIL Catalog

Get notified of new replies

To Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic

Quick Reply: Valvoline Dexron VI full synthetic