C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Shorter coolant temp sensor available?

Search this Thread

Old 03-03-2013, 09:30 PM
littleredcorvette88
Racer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Shorter coolant temp sensor available?

Anyone know if they make a coolant temp sensor that isn't as long as the stock one? I currently cannot hook mine up because the location of the sensor inlet on my AFR heads causes the end of the sensor to touch my headers and there is no way you can get the clip onto the sensor...its that tight. Didn't know if maybe they made a sensor that's not as long so I can clear the headers?

Thanks!!
Old 03-04-2013, 01:12 AM
Ray Quayle
- 1986 Original Owner -

Support Corvetteforum!

Received 113 Likes on 88 Posts
Cruise-In I Veteran
Cruise-In II Veteran
Cruise-In III Veteran
Cruise-In IV Veteran
Cruise-In VII Veteran

Originally Posted by littleredcorvette88
Anyone know if they make a coolant temp sensor that isn't as long as the stock one? I currently cannot hook mine up because the location of the sensor inlet on my AFR heads causes the end of the sensor to touch my headers and there is no way you can get the clip onto the sensor...its that tight. Didn't know if maybe they made a sensor that's not as long so I can clear the headers?

Thanks!!
On my AFRs I found that the coolant sensor holes were tapped 3/8"NPS and the sensors are 3/8"-18 NPT. The difference doesn't allow the sensor to screw in very far. I ran a 3/8-18 NPT tap through and now the sensor screws in all the way.
Old 03-04-2013, 07:45 AM
leesvet
Safety Car

Received 20 Likes on 14 Posts

You can also use fittings to move the mount to an angle so it clears. Brass fittings or stainless....then screw sensor into the fitting. The water still fills the fittings so the sensor is fairly accurate.

IIRC..the IAT sensor is smaller...?

Get notified of new replies

To Shorter coolant temp sensor available?

Quick Reply: Shorter coolant temp sensor available?