C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

MAF and Lean error codes

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2013, 07:15 PM
TFC 89
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default MAF and Lean error codes

I have been having trouble with my 89 idling rough, the idle jumps around randomly when warming up. Normally it idles at 800 very smoothly, occasionally when stopping after running a while it will start idling at 1500. Also it runs rough when cold and backfires through the intake. Additionally, I can be running along fine and the Service Engine light will come on and the car will begin running rough, if I turn it off and restart it and everything clears up.
I took it to the shop today and they said it was throwing MAF and a Lean engine error codes.The garage suspected the MAF which I have never replaced. The car only has 18K on it, I bought it with 14K and have replaced everything from injectors to the fuel pump.
My thought is to replace the MAF, power and burn off relays.
I am looking for opinions on their diagnosis, and recommendations on where to get the MAF, I see rebuilt ones at Eckler's, are they any good? Or should I just by a new one. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
Old 03-13-2013, 08:12 PM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

Originally Posted by TFC 89
I have been having trouble with my 89 idling rough, the idle jumps around randomly when warming up. Normally it idles at 800 very smoothly, occasionally when stopping after running a while it will start idling at 1500. Also it runs rough when cold and backfires through the intake. Additionally, I can be running along fine and the Service Engine light will come on and the car will begin running rough, if I turn it off and restart it and everything clears up.
I took it to the shop today and they said it was throwing MAF and a Lean engine error codes.The garage suspected the MAF which I have never replaced. The car only has 18K on it, I bought it with 14K and have replaced everything from injectors to the fuel pump.
My thought is to replace the MAF, power and burn off relays.
I am looking for opinions on their diagnosis, and recommendations on where to get the MAF, I see rebuilt ones at Eckler's, are they any good? Or should I just by a new one. Any help and advice would be appreciated.
I would suggest getting a datalog of the problem before just swapping parts. Check out moates.net for the hardware.
Old 03-14-2013, 12:15 AM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 341 Likes on 312 Posts

I would suggest replacing the MAF relays first. If that solves your problem then you just saved yourself a lot of money (and aggravation -- finding a good deal on a MAF is a real research project).
Old 03-14-2013, 08:17 AM
WW7
Le Mans Master

Received 398 Likes on 318 Posts

If you can get your car hooked up to a scanner it will at least point you in the right direction...WW
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 AM
Testiculese
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Lemme
I would suggest getting a datalog of the problem before just swapping parts. Check out moates.net for the hardware.
You must put www.moats.net or do a search on craig moats, there's some site that will pop up ww5.moats.net which is not his. If you are electronically inclined you can go to http://www.digikey.com and get the same stuff.
Old 03-15-2013, 11:36 AM
TFC 89
Intermediate

Default Thanks! follow up question

I think getting the diagnostic's is a good idea. It looks like the Moates ALDU1 & Cabl1 combination will let me hook it up and connect to any software package. Any recommendations on software? It's tough to tell from the web sites which would be best. TTS Datamaster looks to be the most comprehensive, but Tunerpro looked good as well.
Old 03-15-2013, 06:48 PM
Lemme
Drifting

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
St. Jude Donor '10

I use Tunerpro RT for datalogging and tuning.

Get notified of new replies

To MAF and Lean error codes

Quick Reply: MAF and Lean error codes