C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

1986 Exhaust header/manifold bolt size?

Search this Thread

Old 03-27-2013, 07:22 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Default 1986 Exhaust header/manifold bolt size?

I have an exhaust leak when accelerating. I noticed one of the bolts is missing from the drivers side manifold. I probed the opening with a screw and could feel some threads. The original bolt may broken off 1/4 inch into the head (cast iron). The eventual cure is to remove the manifold and drill out the broken bolt, or whats left of it. What size and type bolts are used. I'm a property manager for a Corp that has has a Ford franchise, and am able to purchase parts at a discount. But they need all kinds of info to get the stuff for me. Any help will be appreciated. The fun is only beginning. What is the best way to prep the non-broken bolts prior to attempted removal. I did search the forums before posting this.

Thanks, Doug
Old 03-27-2013, 07:45 PM
cumbercr
Melting Slicks

Received 66 Likes on 45 Posts

The bolts are 3/8-16. The length depends on which one broke.
Old 03-27-2013, 08:24 PM
skyhawk50
Burning Brakes

Received 94 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by cumbercr
The bolts are 3/8-16. The length depends on which one broke.
Broken one is the second one from the firewall on the drivers side. Looks like the brake booster has to be removed to drill out the broken bit. (unless an angle drill will do it)

Thanks for the reply.
Old 03-29-2013, 11:14 PM
Cliff Harris
Race Director

Received 342 Likes on 313 Posts

Why do you assume the bolt is broken? My rear exhaust manifold bolts (all 4 -- both sides) backed off by themselves after years of me never looking at them. I had a popping noise on acceleration and found the second bolt from the rear on the driver's side was sticking out of the exhaust manifold about 3/8".

I would try taking a bolt out of another position and putting it where the missing bolt goes. That would tell you if in fact it's actually broken or just missing.

Get notified of new replies

To 1986 Exhaust header/manifold bolt size?

Quick Reply: 1986 Exhaust header/manifold bolt size?