C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Can rotted off muffler cause serious power loss/hesitation

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2013, 08:26 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can rotted off muffler cause serious power loss/hesitation

Wondering if my problem is my muffler... My 84 is lacking serious power especially when accelerating in the city. It hesitates bad. It is better on the highway, but still when accelerating is lacks. I just noticed theat my driver's side muffler is totally rotted off of the exhaust.. is this my issue? Will a new muffler fix my problem? thanks
Old 04-22-2013, 09:16 AM
shakedown067
Le Mans Master

Received 21 Likes on 15 Posts
St. Jude Donor '12-'13

If the muffler is that bad, the problem is probably a clogged catalytic converter, but could be a long list of things. I'd have the cat checked, along with a new fuel filter installed and go from there.
Old 04-22-2013, 09:41 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by shakedown067
If the muffler is that bad, the problem is probably a clogged catalytic converter, but could be a long list of things. I'd have the cat checked, along with a new fuel filter installed and go from there.
Oh ok, so prob wont be as quick a fix as I hoped by just changing mufflers? Thanks for the help!
Old 04-22-2013, 10:10 AM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Does your 84 have a O2 sensor on the exhaust some place? If so, you can take it out and put on a pressure gauge. It you have back pressure of about 3 pounds or more, the cat is bad.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:21 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Does your 84 have a O2 sensor on the exhaust some place? If so, you can take it out and put on a pressure gauge. It you have back pressure of about 3 pounds or more, the cat is bad.
I believe it does, and if so I will def try that out. So, the lack of having a muffler connected to one side alone cannot be the lone problem? Sucks...dont really have the money right now to be buying the whole shabang... the mufflers are one thing, but the whole system, cat and all....
Old 04-22-2013, 10:25 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

More likely your injectors are clogged. On my 84 there were a bunch of metal shavings in mine. If you take off the air cleaner, then fire it up you can use a timing light to "visually freeze" the injector spray. If it's anything other that a well-defined cone or has any streaks in it, the injectors need servicing. FIC is the only place to get the seals for the 84 injectors - www.fuelinjectorconnection.com

John, his o2 sensor is in the pipe on the drivers side - same as the L-98.
Old 04-22-2013, 10:29 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

Muffler new or rotted wont make a difference
Old 04-22-2013, 10:38 AM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by mcm95403
More likely your injectors are clogged. On my 84 there were a bunch of metal shavings in mine. If you take off the air cleaner, then fire it up you can use a timing light to "visually freeze" the injector spray. If it's anything other that a well-defined cone or has any streaks in it, the injectors need servicing. FIC is the only place to get the seals for the 84 injectors - www.fuelinjectorconnection.com

John, his o2 sensor is in the pipe on the drivers side - same as the L-98.
This is starting to get worse and worse..... I am not too good in the old mechinacally inclined area... so $$
Old 04-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

with cuisinartvette for the most part. It's possible that a large chunk of rusted out muffler (internal) could come off and plug an internal passage of the muffler...but that is not very likely. If that somehow did occur, the symptom would be good idle, good throttle response, followed by rapidly fading power....and MASSIVE induction howl (Like the old 4bbl sound, but 5x louder).

I haven't heard the OP describe the symptom like the above. Being that it's a CFI and it lacks power...first thing I'd do is throw a fuel pressure gauge on the thing and go see what the pressure is when the symptom occurs.
Old 04-22-2013, 12:59 PM
locknessmonster
Instructor

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
with cuisinartvette for the most part. It's possible that a large chunk of rusted out muffler (internal) could come off and plug an internal passage of the muffler...but that is not very likely. If that somehow did occur, the symptom would be good idle, good throttle response, followed by rapidly fading power....and MASSIVE induction howl (Like the old 4bbl sound, but 5x louder).

I haven't heard the OP describe the symptom like the above. Being that it's a CFI and it lacks power...first thing I'd do is throw a fuel pressure gauge on the thing and go see what the pressure is when the symptom occurs.
The car does idle very good i believe...no probelm there and throttle response is fine to I would say. when in park and in neutral its fine. When driving, and especially when giving just a little gas it putts and hesitates bad, but then if i just step on it, it takes right off without problem basically. The muffler is hanging off, not connected at all to the exhaust and it broke off just past the bracket. Thanks again for all this help, you guys are always so good at helping me figure stuff out.
Old 04-23-2013, 01:32 AM
mcm95403
Le Mans Master
Support Corvetteforum!

Received 223 Likes on 145 Posts

Originally Posted by locknessmonster
This is starting to get worse and worse..... I am not too good in the old mechinacally inclined area... so $$
The injectors are SUPER easy to work on. Just lift off the air cleaner top and they're right there. Stuff a paper towel under the injector nozzle so that if there is any loose junk it doesn't fall onto the throttle plate. There are a couple of screws on tops, remove those and lift the injector out.

Get notified of new replies

To Can rotted off muffler cause serious power loss/hesitation

Quick Reply: Can rotted off muffler cause serious power loss/hesitation