C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Coil pack conversion?

Search this Thread

Old 04-29-2013, 09:29 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Coil pack conversion?

I know they make coil pack conversions for the LT1 cars But I am having a hard time finding any info on them. I would like to know who makes the kits....Anyone have any info?
Old 04-29-2013, 10:42 PM
JAKE-SON
Racer

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

I just got done doing mine on my lt1. Such a easy system to setup, looks great, very reliable. First you have to find the coils you want. Recommend the 5.3l ls coils from a gmc sierra or like vehicle or the ls7 coils. The reason for this, there is a guy on ebay who custom makes brackets for the coils on lt1 valve covers. Those coils are the easiest for him to deal with, also ls2/3 just not ls1. Do a search for ltcc brackets on ebay and you will find him. Then you want to contact bob bailey to make the ltcc kit for you. Ensure when you get coils that you get the wiring harness with it. Cost. Coils, got from craigslist with wiring harness were 100 for me, brackets 150, ltcc kit 400. Let me know if you need more specifics
Old 04-30-2013, 11:00 AM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

+1 for the LTCC - left the inherent LT1 igntion problems in the mirror for me. I use LS1 coils but have aftermarket valve covers anyway. I made my own mounting brackets. PS - it still uses the Opti but only the low voltage side - so you need a functioning optical sensor in your opti (supposedly the factory mistubishi sensor is an excellent piece) and the bearing should be good as well.

No more dancing tach needle, misfires, cutting out. Eliminates the ICM as well.
Old 04-30-2013, 01:07 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Received 3,181 Likes on 2,322 Posts

Originally Posted by jmgtp
PS - it still uses the Opti but only the low voltage side - so you need a functioning optical sensor in your opti...and the bearing should be good as well.

No more dancing tach needle, misfires, cutting out. Eliminates the ICM as well.
The optical sensor and bearing are what causes most problems w/the Opti in the first place! The stock LT1 coil is not a problem point.

Jumping tach needle also comes from failing optical sensor. I thought that these kits eliminated the OEM primary side ignition system. If they don't....what improvement are they?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:11 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom400CFI
The optical sensor and bearing are what causes most problems w/the Opti in the first place! The stock LT1 coil is not a problem point.

Jumping tach needle also comes from failing optical sensor. I thought that these kits eliminated the OEM primary side ignition system. If they don't....what improvement are they?
Great question?

Old 04-30-2013, 01:18 PM
jmgtp
Drifting

Received 199 Likes on 160 Posts

I disagree - I believe the consensus is that the optical sensor in OEM optisparks is known to be reliable unit.

I chased down my jumping tach/misfires to what I believe was a failing ICM, after going through a couple aftermarket replacements which would work for a while before showing the same symptoms I said to hell with it and went to the LTCC. The LTCC brain box takes the Opti signal, eliminates the ICM and fires the 8 LS1 coils. It also has provisions for spark retard if you choose to use that option.

I continue to use my factory original 113k mile Optispark for the low voltage signals. I have no idea if the bearing is a weak spot but given that mine has over 100k on it I can't say that it is since it still works.

I agree that the stock coil isn't the problem, neither is the ICM or Opti - when they work. But nothing lasts forever and then aftermarket parts go in that aren't up to the task and it all goes to hell.

The LTCC eliminates the high voltage through the Opti. It solved my ignition probs which were ICM and possible the high voltage part of the opti failing. Sensor still works fine.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:18 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

High voltage in the distributor cap causes ozone to be generated from the arcing. Ozone build up causes corrosion in some of the parts. This is exacerbated by the small air volume in the Opti's cap. The '95 and '96 Optis have an active venting system to help keep the ozone levels down. Venting systems are available for the older Optis. Removing the high voltage from the inside of the Opti solves the ozone problem completely.

Another failure mode of the Opti is the rotor coming apart. Coil packs allow you to remove the rotor button from the Opti.
Old 04-30-2013, 02:40 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

I believe the consensus is that the optical sensor in OEM optisparks is known to be reliable unit.
I have not heard that consensus at all. When mine failed, it was the optical unit, and I proved it HERE... Interesting video -I recommend watching it. My car had 150K at the time, FYI.

I continue to use my factory original 113k mile Optispark for the low voltage signals. I have no idea if the bearing is a weak spot but given that mine has over 100k on it I can't say that it is since it still works.
I didn't mean to imply that the bearing is "weak" or porrly designed; They DO go well past 100k. What I meant was, in most that I know about that have failed, the bearing or the Optical unit is what fails. Of course, like ANY cap/rotor distributor, the cap/rotor wear and are replaceable, but most "opti issues" I have read about, and my own failure was the optical unit, with the bearing being obviously bad too (or about fail, and noisy). Anyway, the bearing isn't a BAD piece...but it's a bearing w/o new lube so it will fail. This system hasn't eliminated that. I thought that it did.

It solved my ignition probs which were ICM and possible the high voltage part of the opti failing. Sensor still works fine.
Copy that. It's great that it solved the issue for you. This thread was a real eye opener for me, however, about these systems. Glad that I clicked on it!
Old 05-01-2013, 02:19 AM
smooth1990
Drifting

Originally Posted by JAKE-SON
I just got done doing mine on my lt1. Such a easy system to setup, looks great, very reliable. First you have to find the coils you want. Recommend the 5.3l ls coils from a gmc sierra or like vehicle or the ls7 coils. The reason for this, there is a guy on ebay who custom makes brackets for the coils on lt1 valve covers. Those coils are the easiest for him to deal with, also ls2/3 just not ls1. Do a search for ltcc brackets on ebay and you will find him. Then you want to contact bob bailey to make the ltcc kit for you. Ensure when you get coils that you get the wiring harness with it. Cost. Coils, got from craigslist with wiring harness were 100 for me, brackets 150, ltcc kit 400. Let me know if you need more specifics
Thanks for all the info guys. Im going to do the conversion now while the engine is out of the car.
Old 05-02-2013, 02:56 PM
chevyman865
Advanced

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What all is required in doing this? Do you have to disconnect anything on the opti?
Old 05-02-2013, 06:00 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

I just ordered everything. I bought some LS2/LS7 coils with the wiring harness off ebay. (part # 12573190). Then I bought some custom made coil mounting brackets off from ebay from a gentleman that makes them. Then I contacted bob Bailey (http://www.bailey-eng.com/LTCC.html) and purchased his Ignition control module set up for the LTCC conversion. It seems like a really straight forward set up and extremely simple to hook up. I am using it because My engine is a new supercharged 383 and this system has a built in 2 step rev limiter and retard system. Plus I dont want to have to deal with anymore opti issues in the future.
Old 05-02-2013, 06:58 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Originally Posted by smooth1990
Plus I dont want to have to deal with anymore opti issues in the future.
We'll see.... If you can get a sealed bearing and that optical sensor to eliminate all problems in the future, I will be some impressed.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:06 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

We'll see.... If you can get a sealed bearing and that optical sensor to eliminate all problems in the future, I will be some impressed.
It may not eliminate all the problems but it will eliminate some and it will be easier to change the plug wires, easier to tune, plus it adds the rev limiter and retard that I definitely need for my new engine.
Old 05-02-2013, 07:35 PM
Tom400CFI
Team Owner
Pro Mechanic

Copy that...and agreed. Post pics when finished!
Old 05-02-2013, 07:39 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Will do. Hopefully the engine will be in soon and on the dyno for tunning.
Old 05-03-2013, 11:50 PM
dolbnyc
Instructor

Thank you for posting this information! I am about to replace the opti due to a possible failure. Hopefully it's just the rotor that took a dump. Then I can salvage the opti and do this conversion.
Another 700 bucks
Old 08-15-2013, 07:35 PM
smooth1990
Drifting

Just a update on an OLD thread!

I have got the engine in the car and running!
The Ltcc conversion was really straight forward and seems to work really well. The best part about it is the 2 step rev limiter, and the timing retard for the supercharged/turbo cars! Hopefully she will be on the road early next week and I can post some Dyno sheets!

Old 05-24-2019, 02:31 AM
LCJCary
Heel & Toe

Hello; I have the entire Bob Bailey LTCC kit with 0 miles for sale.

It even has the second generation computer chip. including coils and brackets.

Anyone interested?

808.271.4725 I am located in Virginia Beach

CJ

Get notified of new replies

To Coil pack conversion?

Quick Reply: Coil pack conversion?