C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

High rpm miss!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 04-27-2013, 02:09 AM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default High rpm miss!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Ok,93 c4 w 39k,6 spd,imac condition,just did ARH long tubes,magnaflow cat back,air foil,moded air box,& my computer tuned by pcms for less.. And let me say wow what a diff!!! But after a few miles of driving it where it pulled hard all the way to 6000 rpm,it started cutting out at about 5500 up. So I figured it was the stock plug wires,replaced them and seems much better bu still a lil miss over 5500,enuf to really bother me.. Any ideas??? Could it be the coil thing,multi spark or whatever it's called?? I JUST WANT IT TO RUN SMOOTH TO THE REV LIMITER!!!!!!! Please help.. Thanks..

Last edited by ASRmotors; 04-27-2013 at 02:24 AM.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:31 AM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

What speed is the limiter set at now.
From your post I'm getting that it was pulling smoothly to 6K or higher now it doesn't.

Are you on stock heads and valvetrain?
I'm wondering if you experienced valve float..
It could be so many things,
Could be the OPTI, tune, valve float or you could be hitting the rev limiter. (factory tach is not a precision piece)
Can you datalog? A datalog may exactly where its falling over.
That's what I do on a fresh build run some datalogs send them to the tuner and if all is well he tweeks the tune, or I get an email say hey Mike its mechanical fix your ****.

Mike
Old 04-27-2013, 02:58 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

All stock except for bolt ons. and yes when I first drove it after installing all the parts,headers etc,the first few times I ran it,it ran hard and smooth to 6000,then it started missing really bad after 5000,figured it had to be the stock plug wires,thats just what it felt like. So new wires,and again ran great for a lil bit,now the miss is not as bad but after 5500 is there.. The car ran low on gas,& then really ran like **** so im wondering If I just haven't ran the old gas out of it maybe?? As far as the rev lim. I don't know what they set it at,i didn't get a spec sheet or anything,Im guessing its 6500?? If you hold it on thru the miss it will still rise to 6000 just not smoothly... Im leaning on a weak optispark,but this is my first chevy so IDK... any more help or suggestions are appreciated... thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 03:18 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

I'd change the coil first. Easy and fairly cheap.
Old 04-27-2013, 03:41 PM
aboatguy
Race Director

Received 13 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by ASRmotors
All stock except for bolt ons. and yes when I first drove it after installing all the parts,headers etc,the first few times I ran it,it ran hard and smooth to 6000,then it started missing really bad after 5000,figured it had to be the stock plug wires,thats just what it felt like. So new wires,and again ran great for a lil bit,now the miss is not as bad but after 5500 is there.. The car ran low on gas,& then really ran like **** so im wondering If I just haven't ran the old gas out of it maybe?? As far as the rev lim. I don't know what they set it at,i didn't get a spec sheet or anything,Im guessing its 6500?? If you hold it on thru the miss it will still rise to 6000 just not smoothly... Im leaning on a weak optispark,but this is my first chevy so IDK... any more help or suggestions are appreciated... thanks
I would not rev an LT1 with 20 year old stock valve springs to 6500 RPM.... and your stock heads cam and valve-train aren't making power up there anyway. Hell I wouldn't rev NEW STOCK LT1 springs to 6500.

Contact your tuner and see what he set the rev-limit at.

IRT your original post, check your fuel pressure, the plugs, and wire routing.
Test your coil, ICM
Change your fuel filter, and plugs if they are original. I'm still not certain your not feeling valve float, or fuel starvation or a tired ignition ....

Datalogging would give you more info...

But I'm going to repeat....
If you really want to pull to 6K reliably at a minimum change your valve springs or someday soon there will be another I need to cheaply rebuild my LT1 thread or I'm parting out my 93....

Mike
Old 04-27-2013, 04:15 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Im not tryn to hit 6500,I know its not even makn power over 6000,I just want it to hit 6000 smooth and fast like it did at one time.. What do you think about the one sugg. to change the coil?? could the coil make this issue but run fine otherwise?? If its cheap & easy like he says Im gna try that first I guess,and another set of plugs.. Is there a GOOD spark plug for my car that I should be using???? Thanks guys.. Oh ya im gna do the fuel filter too... cheap..
Old 04-27-2013, 04:22 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Should I just get a stock oem coil?? or MSD ,ACCEL???? Thanks
Old 04-27-2013, 06:24 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Originally Posted by ASRmotors
Should I just get a stock oem coil?? or MSD ,ACCEL???? Thanks
My '94 was breaking up at about 5K. I replaced my coil with a MSD. That fixed that problem. Stock is probably fine, however. The MSD is only 46 bucks + shipping at Summit.
Old 04-27-2013, 07:14 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Thanks,is the MSD a stock replacement or does it mount different,do you have to modify anything to install it?? if its direct bolt on like stock I allways like to get the better quality stuff,just don't like to change to much ya know??
Old 04-27-2013, 07:47 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

Direct replacement. Nutin' to it.

http://www.summitracing.com/parts/ms...ette/year/1994
Old 04-27-2013, 08:17 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

ordered it and a fuel filter, ill let you guys know If that does the trick.... OH ya,what are the BEST spark plug to run in 93 c4 39k miles,bolt on mods????
Old 04-27-2013, 08:49 PM
oilyfishhead
Racer

39K on the spark plugs? The best plugs are the ones that are in it. Unless you have a couple of hours to **** away for no reason.
Old 04-27-2013, 09:14 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

Received 81 Likes on 71 Posts

The stock LT1 spark plugs are known to lose pucks, pull a couple and see what they look like. A good/cheap replacement is NGK TR55.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:43 PM
bjankuski
Safety Car

Received 466 Likes on 369 Posts

Your spark plug gap is too wide set the gap at. 035 and see how it runs.
Old 04-28-2013, 01:46 AM
ASRmotors
Advanced

I've already replaced them once,just can't remember brand,but I was told they were pre gapped???? Not true??
Old 04-28-2013, 01:57 AM
ASRmotors
Advanced

So I'm a body @ paint guy mostly,was wondering if u could tell me what's involved in changing the valve springs,,,do you have to remove heads? Or just pop off valve covers & easy goes it... Thanks for the input...
Old 04-28-2013, 01:11 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

If you are still running the stock valve train at 39k miles, the valve springs should be fine.

Valve springs can be changed with heads on the engine, I'm on my fourth set. You can bring each cylinder to TDC to keep the valves from falling, or stuff rope in the cylinder. I would also suggest changing the valve seals while you're in there.

Get notified of new replies

To High rpm miss!!!!! HELP!!!!!

Old 04-28-2013, 01:25 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Does changing the valve springs let it rev higher,easier,or is it something you do when they get weak or worn out say with higher miles?? Im just wondering if its going to make any diff in how it runs & if its worth it when down the line im probly gna do cam and alum heads..... Im hoping the MSD coil coming will stop this lil hiccup,its not that bad,It just doesn't sound like valves floatn,more like a weak spark up high or one cyl missn.. IDK .. AGGGHHHHHHHH!!!!!!
Old 04-28-2013, 01:31 PM
STL94LT1
Race Director

You want it too rev easier, especially above 5500 rpms. Install new valve springs and a set of 1.6 roller rockers.

You already have Al heads.
Old 04-28-2013, 02:15 PM
ASRmotors
Advanced

Can you recommend a good spring set up as far as brand or whatever? Also do you Think this is something that I should have a good Chevy mechanic do Or is this something that I can pull off myself at my shop? It doesn't sound too hard I've just never done it before.

Quick Reply: High rpm miss!!!!! HELP!!!!!