C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Antenna power problem?

Search this Thread

Old 05-01-2013, 01:32 AM
Dsrtknight
8th Gear

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Antenna power problem?

I have a 1987 convertible and my power antenna has never worked (I bought it that way). As I tried to troubleshoot the problem last weekend, I found that the when the previous owner replaced the Delco radio with a Kenwood radio/CD player, they also removed the Antenna Relay, as it was no longer needed. So, I have the Orange and Pink wires from the wiring harness spliced to the Red and Blue wires on the Power antenna a ground from the antenna to the body and a spare Black wire from the relay (no longer needed). While checking the splices, I determined that there was no power on either splice but continuity of both wires are good. I pulled the radio and it has a line out for the power antenna and this is spliced to a wire identified on the wiring diagram for the antenna (it goes to the fuse panel). All fuses are good (the antenna connects to the Clstr/Crtsy Lght fuse). So, with good continuity from the antenna to the fuse, good power from the radio to the fuse and a good fuse, but no power from the fuse to the antenna, I'm stuck. Any ideas on how to use the current (standard antenna) connection or should I just install a switch for the antenna?
Old 05-01-2013, 08:08 AM
AGENT 86
Race Director

Received 36 Likes on 32 Posts

If it is the factory antenna, you NEED the relay. It controls direction of motor by switching polarity.

If it is the factory antenna, all that needed to be done was splice the head unit's antenna wire into the factory pink antenna wire.

http://dankai.shawwebspace.ca/asset/...nna_wiring.pdf

http://dankai.shawwebspace.ca/asset/...er_antenna.pdf

Quick Reply: Antenna power problem?