C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

Longer studs for a '93

Search this Thread

Old 05-05-2013, 08:12 AM
cvsisinthehouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Longer studs for a '93

So I got 12mm spacers for the C6 wheels I got for my '93. Now I need new studs as the lugnuts barely catch. Can I get these at a local store like Napa? and matching lugnuts there as well?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:47 AM
RollaMo-LT4
Race Director

Received 141 Likes on 116 Posts
2021 C4 of the Year - Unmodified Finalist
St. Jude Donor '10-'11-'12-'13-'14-'15-'16-'17-'19-'20-'21-'22-'23

Should be able too.
Just be aware that you have "weakened" your wheel mounting points by using longer studs.

The better option would have went with wheel adapters instead of spacers.
Adapters use the factory original studs to mount the adapter, and they then have their own studs to mount the wheel.

But any good auto parts store should have studs in various lengths.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:22 AM
c4cruiser
Team Owner

Received 476 Likes on 423 Posts
NCM Sinkhole Donor

You can get longer studs made by ARP from Summit Racing. They come in two different lengths so you need to decide what length you need. Corvettes (along with Camaros & Firebirds) use a .509" knurl so make sure that's what you are ordering. These are race-grade studs and will be stronger than the stock studs.

Installing longer studs on the front hubs is not real difficult but you should remove the hub to do the work. A press is the best way to get the old studs out and the new ones in, but you can use a heavy hammer to pound out the old stud and then use flat washers and an old lug nut with an impact wrench to install the new ones.

The rear hubs will be a PITA to do with them still on the car.
Old 05-05-2013, 10:53 AM
WVZR-1
Team Owner

Received 2,259 Likes on 2,022 Posts

Originally Posted by c4cruiser
You can get longer studs made by ARP from Summit Racing. They come in two different lengths so you need to decide what length you need. Corvettes (along with Camaros & Firebirds) use a .509" knurl so make sure that's what you are ordering. These are race-grade studs and will be stronger than the stock studs.

Installing longer studs on the front hubs is not real difficult but you should remove the hub to do the work. A press is the best way to get the old studs out and the new ones in, but you can use a heavy hammer to pound out the old stud and then use flat washers and an old lug nut with an impact wrench to install the new ones.

The rear hubs will be a PITA to do with them still on the car.
I don't recall them being that great a PITA, you only need to grind a chamfer on the wheel stud head for about 15* and the insertion isn't a problem. I used a GM stud that used to be inexpensive but now seems a bit expensive. The GM # 22551491 - I've used many of them and I've only seen one complaint regarding them. I use them for my 16m spacers to accommodate the 50m offset on the rear.

Removing the old ones should be done with a wheel stud removal tool or a ball-joint tool you can rent from the A-chains will work, avoid hammers.
Old 05-06-2013, 10:17 AM
cvsisinthehouse
Intermediate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

ok thanks for the info guys. I only need them on the rear. My neighbor owns a garage, works on Vettes, should have every tool I need. He just wasn't sure where to get studs.

Get notified of new replies

To Longer studs for a '93

Quick Reply: Longer studs for a '93