C4 Tech/Performance L98 Corvette and LT1 Corvette Technical Info, Internal Engine, External Engine

new engine break in and fuel guage readings

Old 05-05-2013, 07:55 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default new engine break in and fuel guage readings

Ok...My wife and i took our baby 85 vette with a rebuilt engine on a great break in run for a 112 miles. No problems what so ever going down, temp maintained about 190-200 degrees all the way. Oil temp was about 200 degrees Pick up was great and ride was a little choppy over 70-72 mph. However on returning home and within a 1/2 -1 miles from our driveway the car stalled restarted went another 1/4 t0 1/3 mile and died again. Now I know it suppose to have a 20 gallon tank and my fuel guage read 1/2 full or 1/2 empty depends on the reader. Luckiley there was a gas station and we coasted into it. I filled the tank totally and it only took 12.8 gallons. Now could have they changed the gas tank just like they had changed the engine in this car or is there a problem with the sending unit of the gas guage and if it is the guage how tough is it to correct?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated....
Thanks in advance Mike
Old 05-05-2013, 08:06 PM
MotorCity_87_C4
Pro

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by nhlighthouse
Ok...My wife and i took our baby 85 vette with a rebuilt engine on a great break in run for a 112 miles. No problems what so ever going down, temp maintained about 190-200 degrees all the way. Oil temp was about 200 degrees Pick up was great and ride was a little choppy over 70-72 mph. However on returning home and within a 1/2 -1 miles from our driveway the car stalled restarted went another 1/4 t0 1/3 mile and died again. Now I know it suppose to have a 20 gallon tank and my fuel guage read 1/2 full or 1/2 empty depends on the reader. Luckiley there was a gas station and we coasted into it. I filled the tank totally and it only took 12.8 gallons. Now could have they changed the gas tank just like they had changed the engine in this car or is there a problem with the sending unit of the gas guage and if it is the guage how tough is it to correct?
Any feedback will be greatly appreciated....
Thanks in advance Mike
Did your engine start running normally after you refilled the tank?
Old 05-05-2013, 08:24 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

YEP! no problem !
Old 05-05-2013, 09:35 PM
John A. Marker
Le Mans Master

Received 165 Likes on 146 Posts

Check fuel pressure and pull off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel in the hose.

From memory....it has been awhile....I think the 85 held 15 gallons of fuel. You could also check the fuel pump in the tank to see if the lines to the pump are connected firmly.
Old 05-05-2013, 09:51 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

No engine lights that I remember of!
Old 05-05-2013, 10:00 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Yes it should matter what the fuel gauge is reading at least to me it does!
Old 05-06-2013, 02:00 AM
tunedport85inject
Drifting

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

you have to ceck why your engine stalled with gasoline in tank even if your gauge was indicating wrong level...there were 8 gallons in tank when engine stalled,this isn't an empty tank...
Old 05-06-2013, 09:01 PM
nhlighthouse
Instructor

Originally Posted by John A. Marker
Check fuel pressure and pull off the vacuum line to the fuel pressure regulator and check for fuel in the hose.

From memory....it has been awhile....I think the 85 held 15 gallons of fuel. You could also check the fuel pump in the tank to see if the lines to the pump are connected firmly.
In regards to this remark above, could my problem about with my fuel guage reading half of a tank when my engine stall be attributted to my cruise control not being connected with the vacuum line cause my engine to stall/stop once the level of gas got to this point?
IMHO I would think so that once I reconnect my cruise control instead of replacing the sending unit in the gas tank!
Any reply would be greatly appreciated...Mike
Old 05-07-2013, 02:21 AM
cv67
Team Owner

Received 3,043 Likes on 2,602 Posts
St. Jude Donor '05

If it starts stalling again as said ck the pressure on your fuel pump usually a sign of it crapping out. Making sure the line doesnt have crack and sucking air also. (inside tank)
Old 05-07-2013, 07:33 AM
856SPEED
Melting Slicks

Received 111 Likes on 99 Posts

sounds like there was sufficient fuel in the tank if it took 12 gallons...8 gallons is enough to keep it running. Like the others said you want to look to see if the fuel pump/filter/injectors are working fine and make sure the there is fuel pressure. You can check that by just turning the key on the on position.

What I don't know is, is the new engine in completely OEM specs or did you do modifications to it? If so was the PROM calibrated for those specs, and also was the TPS and IAC on the throttle body adjusted for minimum idle speed? Not sure if you replaced the throttle body as well? Does it die on on idle or when you let your foot off the throttle? That could be a minimum idle speed issue with the TPS and IAC valve on the throttle body as I have found.

Don't know, but those are the things I would look for.....

Good luck!
Old 05-08-2013, 06:02 AM
gerardvg
Melting Slicks

Received 188 Likes on 169 Posts

Check your tank has the plastic container that the fuel pump sits in and is secure, i had my vette starve for fuel going around corners with over half a tank. That little plastic container 4 inches by around 5 inches, keeps the pump surrounded by fuel while pulling G's around corners while the fuel flows to one side of the tank.

You cannot glue that plastic thing back (i tried and failed), getting a new tank or attaching it with cable ties to the fuel pump helps.

Check your TPS throttle position sensor (top and middle wires should be 0.54 volts d/c) also check your fuel pressure should be between 30 and 38 psi any higher will make your car run rich.

Your ecm will set a code if it runs too rich or if something is way out of spec.

The fuel sender can be affected if the plug from the sender to the car loom connector has corrosion, also if someone has fiddled with it before and bent the float arm it can show wrong.

Good luck

Get notified of new replies

To new engine break in and fuel guage readings

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: new engine break in and fuel guage readings